Oil Leak --- Advice Needed ASAP!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I am going to have to disagree with it being an oil leak from the water pump...it appears to simply be coolant leaks from loose clamps that caused it road grime to mix with it and look like an oil leak...very common. The oil seepage around the valve covers is normal. As far as cleaning goes...use two inch wide paintbrush and gentle decreased like simple green or pinesol and as pointed out keep it away from electrical stuff. .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
michaelbrooks
Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
I am going to have to disagree with it being an oil leak from the water pump...it appears to simply be coolant leaks from loose clamps that caused it road grime to mix with it and look like an oil leak...very common. The oil seepage around the valve covers is normal. As far as cleaning goes...use two inch wide paintbrush and gentle decreased like simple green or pineapple and as pointed out keep it away from electrical stuff. .02
2" paintbrush??? I don't know about being that gentle with cleaning the motor. I don't see that doing a whole lot.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
2" paintbrush??? I don't know about being that gentle with cleaning the motor. I don't see that doing a whole lot.
I think you are going to find it will clean up very easily. I'm in the camp it's a mixture of dried coolant and road grime. It looks worse than it is. If you need something a little more aggressive try wetting a rag with brake cleaner and wiping the engine clean. I wouldn't spray brake cleaner indiscriminately though. I had a similar experience at 65,000 miles. I freaked thinking "oil leak" or water pump seal. I ended up cleaning everything well then snugging the coolant hoses then watchful waiting. I just passed 130,000 miles without a recurrence.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I am going to have to disagree with it being an oil leak from the water pump...it appears to simply be coolant leaks from loose clamps that caused it road grime to mix with it and look like an oil leak...very common. The oil seepage around the valve covers is normal. As far as cleaning goes...use two inch wide paintbrush and gentle decreased like simple green or pineapple and as pointed out keep it away from electrical stuff. .02
Exactly... clean it up, study the situation while engine runs... take gas tank off and top air box, give it a good inspection of all hoses and make adjustments or replacements as needed.
while there since you don't know exactly the previous maintenance, put new valve cover gaskets on it.
I would probably just drain all the coolant out of it and change all the hoses and new hose clamps on it anyway while your into that deep.

then enjoy another 50,000 miles of riding.

OP
OP
michaelbrooks
Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Exactly... clean it up, study the situation while engine runs... take gas tank off and top air box, give it a good inspection of all hoses and make adjustments or replacements as needed.
while there since you don't know exactly the previous maintenance, put new valve cover gaskets on it.
I would probably just drain all the coolant out of it and change all the hoses and new hose clamps on it anyway while your into that deep.

then enjoy another 50,000 miles of riding.
Thanks Doug, I appreciate the advice. I'm going through the cooling system now and checking everything. Going to clean things up and go from there.

Top Bottom