Old Enough To Remember?

... didn't even have that... and survived...

558052196_1376852450673695_5375208887098391107_n.jpg
Well into her 80's, my mother, when she was driving would throw her right arm out and hit whomever was in the passenger seat when she hit the brakes. She was so conditioned to driving before seatbelts and having kids in the car -
 
My father was a carrot grower and owned an airplane for many years. As a child I would fly with him when he would go to check on his crops which at times were quite a distance from home. We would land on several different crop dusting airstrips out near his fields. He taught me to fly during those trips and since I was only about 12, he had me sit on a large red rectangular pillow so I could see over the instrument panel. I was cleaning out some old stuff in the garage last year and opened a box and there it was, that big red pillow. Tears came to my eyes as all those memories came flooding back. I soloed an airplane when I was 15 years old as I needed the minimum hours of flight time to solo thanks to my dad.
 
You had a wooden box? Luxury!

When I was young child we were so poor we sat the rear of the station wagon with the window down hoping we wouldn't get rear ended and thrown out.
A station wagon would have been a luxury of space that we didn't have. We were as many as nine (9) people piled in to a four-door Ford Custom 500 with bench seats. The children were sitting on the laps of the adults in the backseat so that everyone would fit in. I am pretty confident that nobody was wearing seat-belts. Can you just imagine all of the fines and criminal charges that would be levied to any driver doing that nowadays.
 
A station wagon would have been a luxury of space that we didn't have. We were as many as nine (9) people piled in to a four-door Ford Custom 500 with bench seats. The children were sitting on the laps of the adults in the backseat so that everyone would fit in. I am pretty confident that nobody was wearing seat-belts. Can you just imagine all of the fines and criminal charges that would be levied to any driver doing that nowadays.
I can remember as a kid, climbing up in the back window shelf and laying down, but only briefly... it got real hot back there.
 
When I was 5 years old my mother drove us to the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair along with my Aunt and 6 cousins along with the 4 of us kids. That made 12 people in a four door sedan on about a 10 hour drive. My mom used to laugh when she talked about stopping at the gas station and the attendant stood there watching all of us pile out of the car. We once left my cousin Jim behind at the gas station and had to go back for him.
 
My mom was a cab driver when I was pre-school age.
Since there was no 'day care' I rode regularly up in the back window shelf so I didn't take up a paying seat. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom