Raven Down But OK

Really sorry to hear about your accident. Glad nothing is broken and you are in good spirits.

Your very articulate, well reasoned, cogent, and pity posts #91 and #105 seem to indicate that your brain is working fine. That is great news.

I'm clearly a less experienced road rider (only 2 years) and can learn from you and your experience. Seems like you got to ride a bucking bronco with absolutely no warning while going 70mph. In hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently when your rear wheel locked up?

Just reading this thread. Heal fast and completely. I'm glad you're mostly in one piece. Wow just wow :( That is one nasty tire failure.

Real sorry to hear about this, however the outcome could have been really bad. I'll happy you are well enough to post. I agree a ton of pictures would be the order of the day. With the power of the internet and your pictures Avon can be forced to do whats right. Lip service from Avon won't make the pictures go away.
I hope you heal up quickly.

Just reading about this, I'm also sending you good vibes, glad it wasn't worse. Good gear is worth the money and effort, happy you were wearing it. Heal fast!:)

I'm clearly a less experienced road rider (only 2 years) and can learn from you and your experience. Seems like you got to ride a bucking bronco with absolutely no warning while going 70mph. In hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently when your rear wheel locked up?

In truth, there really was not a lot of time to do much of anything. It was instant lockup and immediate fishtailing. I remember trying to steer out of it as much as possible, squeezing the clutch, and feathering the front brake (I couldn't tell you if that improved things or not, what with the linked brakes but it's what I did). I also remember wondering if the rear brake had locked-up but thinking it would feel more like a straight skid versus a flopping fish. I also remember scanning for open space to head towards where I'd be off the roadway but likely be seen and consciously aiming towards the median. I also remember thinking, "well, this is it, but at least it's a beautiful place and it was a good ride."

Mind you, all of this was pretty much in a twinkling. According to the State Patrol Officer, he said he was impressed with how far I managed to travel and keep it upright. Obviously, I haven't been up to see where it happened so couldn't say how far that was.

Everyone seemed fairly amazed I was alive, let alone talking and moving.

Glad to see you posting Raven! And if I know this crew your bike will likely make it to your parents this weekend. Take the help that is offered and realize you are not burdening anybody by doing it. Get your head checked sooner than later then relax and heal up. We would all like to see you make your goal for this year but not at the risk of losing you. And besides if you don't complete it this year, it is a reason to ride next year.

Get well,
Hope to meet you sometime.

It seems that further investigation is in order to figure out what happened. Did the suspected delamination occur before or after the rear wheel lockup or what was the exact sequence of events? I had a rear 1/2" diameter puncture flat on my ST at about 45 mph on a rural road and by the time I came to a coasting stop on the grass right of way the bike was all but uncontrollable on the flopping rear tire. It gives me the willies to think of a flat at 70+ on a mph busy artery. Good job Raven!

Originally Posted by Raven View Post
... thinking it would feel more like a straight skid versus a flopping fish...
Well, you know how competitive Karen can be...

Pat, that was cold. (I was thinking something similar. :D)

But Raven isn't done yet. She still has three Iron Butts to do this year.

Glad yur up, girl, but do go get that scan soon. Head knocks are nothing to fool with.

I'm available thru Wednesday next week, then off to SeaSTOC. Can't hardly skip that as Kim has arranged the 4 days off, don't wanna disappoint her.

I could come haul yur ST to Cruces AND bring you STick (not pretty but running okay) as a loaner 'til you get STuff sorted.

Thanks again everyone.

One that would really, really help (and I really hate to even ask 'cause it feels really tacky but it's kind of extenuating circumstances) is, cash is extremely tight for me right now and I don't have credit cards and I can't find my emergency cash stash (it was in my jacket and is probably blowing across an empty expanse of NM right now). If folks are able to throw a few bucks in my paypal account, it would really help until I get things sorted and get home. My address is daceraven at gmail dot com

:bow1::bow1::bow1:

(Mellow, you can delete if you feel it inappropriate.)

Now photos -

helmet

right side, back, and a paint rub through on the chin (and my chin is slightly abraded there)

The chin latch is solid and working perfectly.

Attachments

• 20101103316.jpg
    20101103316.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20101103317.jpg
    20101103317.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20101103319.jpg
    20101103319.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 98
Outer Jacket

right side completely came apart at the seams

(I don't know why these loaded upside down - that's weird 'cause I'm pretty sure I took them right side up)

:D

Attachments

• 20101103320.jpg
    20101103320.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20101103321.jpg
    20101103321.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20101103322.jpg
    20101103322.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20101103323.jpg