Rear shock recommendation

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
After some research - I still didn't figure out if it's better to stick with OEM or look for an aftermarket shock. Works or Progressive?
I'm not an agressive or pushy rider, so any "sporty" solution is not necessary.

The model number is 52400-MAJ-G41 (96A-02A), right?

Last edited:
Re: Rear shock recomandation

I personally would not get a stock shock. I would go with an after market. You really have two choices and it come down to the spring. Do you want a progressive wound spring or a linear rated wound spring. I think if it were me since I have had a progressive and I have not had issues with it I might leans toward that but if you are pulling a trailer I would look at a linear rated spring. Also make sure that it is re-buildable.

The progressive shock I used is the Progressive 465

I'd take what Uncle Phil and John O recommend very seriously....on an 1100....and get the right spring for your weight...good luck....ff

Last edited:

Progressive has given me much better service & performance than either of my Works Pro Racers or the OEM's. After 50K I sent it in for a rebuild and IIRC the total rebuild cost including return shipping was about $10. I have over 100K on the shock. Couldn't be happier.

I personally would not get a stock shock. I would go with an after market. You really have two choices and it come down to the spring. Do you want a progressive wound spring or a linear rated wound spring. I think if it were me since I have had a progressive and I have not had issues with it I might leans toward that but if you are pulling a trailer I would look at a linear rated spring. Also make sure that it is re-buildable.

The progressive shock I used is the Progressive 465

+1 That's what I'm using and I'm happy with it. You can find one at much less than list price on Amazon or one of the well known MC parts warehouses.

Progressive has given me much better service & performance than either of my Works Pro Racers or the OEM's. After 50K I sent it in for a rebuild and IIRC the total rebuild cost including return shipping was about $10. I have over 100K on the shock. Couldn't be happier.

Nice to know !! Thanks.

I run Works Pro Racers on all three of my ST1100s and have been very pleased with them.
Does "Racer" part means $100 more then just "Works Pro"?
:D

Last edited:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I'm shopping now... I'll check for both brands and most likely the price will decide the finalist. :)

P.S. Don't see if the Works Pro can be rebuilt too? I'm assuming it can.

I fitted a Wilbers, very pleased with the difference, then again it was bound to be a big difference because the oem shock was horsed.

OEMs have worked just fine for me over 178K, Afan. I'm not a Ricky Racer but am quite comfortable riding spiritedly with Honda's shock. The price is reasonable, considering... And yes, that's a good part number.

FWIW YMMV

John
via iPhone 6

+1 for OEM. IIRC, I was considering a Progressive 465 a few years back, until I found the adjuster ring is at the TOP end, once the shock is mounted. Bit of a pain to adjust.

As a larger guy (over 300 pounds in riding gear) I find the OEM even at max preload is undersprung for me, especially when the bags are loaded for a trip.

Last edited:

Sorry for the typo, $100. Looked up the receipt, it was $115.05 dated 4/15/2010.

*****Yes, the Progressive shock requires removing the right side body panel to adjust spring pre-load but I had the sag set at Westoc one year and pre-load hasn't changed. I do fiddle with the rebound valve when the bike is unloaded.

OEMs have worked just fine for me over 178K, Afan. I'm not a Ricky Racer but am quite comfortable riding spiritedly with Honda's shock. The price is reasonable, considering...
+1...
If you're not very spirited and/or facing payload issues, a (properly adjusted though!!) OEM shock serves absolutely great for a reasonable price...

Back
Top Bottom