Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Good stuff, Dave. Gotta agree. BTW, I've seen a total of one DN-01 and two Cobras on the road since their respective introductions.

Heard just a few weeks ago, Honda MC in California may be closing and move it all to... Ohio? Some where which will be the new MC manufacturing plant in the USA,,, for 'Wings 'n other 'Merican-focused models. Only a rumor of course, but I got it from a couple Ohio retired Honda employees. Anything to it? I have no idea. Just more fodder for the mill. :D

Last edited:
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Don't think for a minute that the complete loss of our tiny little corner of the motorcycle market would be anything other than a minor annoyance. We're riding a model that sells a few thousand out of 12.5 million units in 2012.

You are going by how many STs sold. Of course they didn't sell...they are outdated and expensive. I won't buy into the Sport Touring market being a tiny minority of bikes. Is it the largest segment? Of course not. But there are a lot of BMWs, Kawasakis, & Yamahas in this class. Add in the smaller number of Triumphs and other smaller brands and it makes up a fair number of bikes. If Honda chose to be a leader rather than a follower, they could take a fair sized bite out of BMW, Kawasaki, & Yamaha sales in the Sport Touring market. Grabbing a few buyers from each brand would add up.

How about marketing? BMW is strong here. Yamaha isn't far behind. But when was the last time you saw an advertisement, whether on the Internet, on TV or in a magazine, for an ST? When was the last time Honda did anything with them except make some and stick them on dealer's showroom floors hoping someone trips over them and buys one? It's true we are a specialty market and usually already know what we want, but other brands are more aggressive about their advertising. Of course it would help if Honda actually had something worth advertising.

Anyone who has taken a basic economics course knows there are a few requirements to successfully sell a product:

-Offer a competitive product people want. (better yet, a class leader). Honda: Fail.
-Offer it at a competitive price. Honda: Fail.
-Market it strongly. Good advertising will sell a product to someone who didn't even know they wanted it. Honda: Fail.

Playing it safe is selling scooters (and other small displacement bikes) & cruisers. But playing it safe won't grow the brand.

Playing it safe is selling scooters (and other small displacement bikes) & cruisers. But playing it safe won't grow the brand.

Well, playing it smart keeps the company alive....

Honda is and likely always will be a mass marketer of vehicles. They aren't a maker to fill small niches like BMW does - BMW is excited about selling 10,000 more motorcycles globally over last year. If it wasn't for the car division subsidizing bikes the last BMW motorcycle would probably have been a late 80's model. On the other hand Honda plans to sell a few million more this year. Honda rode out the recession posting profits each year and now 2013 is on track to be up about 50,000 motorcycles over 2012 just in the USA. They may make a lot of things we don't care for but profits come first in that measure they do pretty good.

BMW certainly understand grassroots marketing. Our BMW club reaps benefits like free club insurance by being a member of the BMW car/motorcycle clubs organization in N. America. A week ago I was at the BMW MOA national rally. There were 51xx people there. BMW gave away 10 (ten) motorcycles at that event (one of everything, including a $50k R1200GS and a K1600GTL). There were two music stages, four to six bands a day, presentations galore, a strong vendor market, GS competition on a giant loop track, food and beer at $1.50. What more could you want? Honda trades too much on their reputation.

The ST13 WAS state of the art at one time. RT owners who ride my bike are envious of the power and smoothness of the V4. The editor of Bike magazine in the UK rated the ST13 (Pan European) above the RT in their four-way 1200 mile bike comparison in 2008. It just hasn't changed since then. Everyone is dazzled by gadgets. But I guarantee that our crowd would not want to pay the price in maintenance that those gadgets will induce down the road. The Gold Wing is still a big seller for Honda. Yet it desperately needs a 6-speed gearbox and power windscreen (and better airflow management over the helmet area).

After much delay, Honda finally brought the Veradero to Canada. It didn't sell. By then, it too was old technology. Honda makes weird decisions about which countries get which models. The Deauville 700 is available in the US, but not in Canada. The CrossTourer isn't available in N. America. The VFR1200 is in Canada, but didn't sell. Bikes you would think would sell here, aren't brought in. At the end of the day, I don't think Honda really has a handle on what would sell here.

Last edited:

Well, playing it smart keeps the company alive....

Is it really smart to watch the competition pass you? How about losing market share? It's a lot easier to keep it than to try to get it back. BMW seems to think there is a Sport Touring market and has invested heavily in it...and is doing well with it. Looking at all the previous ST owners who now ride K1600s, they are pulling it off. How about Yamaha? Looking at the number of FJRs in the IBR compared to STs, it's clear who is the favorite there. The number of FJRs in the top 10 shows they did their homework and again, it paid off. While that doesn't directly translate to money, it shows where there is some interest, and where the Sport Touring riders are now turning.

There is no reason Honda couldn't build something as good as what BMW is offering, and sell it cheaper.

Looking at all the previous ST owners who now ride K1600s, they are pulling it off. How about Yamaha? Looking at the number of FJRs in the IBR compared to STs, it's clear who is the favorite there. The number of FJRs in the top 10 shows they did their homework and again, it paid off. While that doesn't directly translate to money, it shows where there is some interest, and where the Sport Touring riders are now turning.
Interesting comments, given that the K1600 was not designed as a sport tourer. It was designed to compete with the Gold Wing. The K1200 and the R1200RT compete in the sport touring niche.

The R1200RT is basically an 80 year old design that has a bunch of computer stuff pasted on to a pre-war, air-cooled engine with separate gearbox. Only the new 2013 R1200GS has what amounts to a completely new boxer engine with unified gearbox -- no more dry clutch or splines to lube. Fundamentally, the boxer is really a refined Ural. And it is usually acknowledged as the most popular sport touring mount and the gold standard by which other sport tourers are judged.

So the lack of a few electronic gizmos does now necessarily make the ST13 obsolete. It's just too heavy.

Honda sells lots of stuff besides motorcyle in the US and they sell a lot of non-US market bikes in the rest of their world. We were once their biggest market by far,,, no more.

This is an interesting thread. Makes you wonder where Honda's head is at. As NHDiesel pointed out, Honda is failing on all the basics to move the brand forward in the Sport Touring market. If Sport Touring was such a dud, why would Yamaha and Kawasaki be re-upping the anty? Plus Triumph has entered the market with a great first effort. And BMW's K-1600 is an interesting mix between Touring and Sport Touring. It is without a drought the most expensive Sport Touring bike, but is competitive with the Goldwing.

If I were in the market for a replacement to my '08 ST, it would not be a 2011-2012 leftover. Even at a discounted price. There are too many features on a Concourse or a FJR that come standard, that are missing on the ST. The only item that would be a concern for me is the excellent (for me) wind protection on the ST... but an after market windshield should address that on the other bikes.

So in my opinion, Honda needs to either get out of the Sport Touring market or come up with a redesigned ST. The current design is just too dated. And with the current list price on the remaining ST's, and the lack of a 2013 model, it looks like they have chosen to exit the market. Too bad because they make an excellent product. I LOVE my '08 and have over time added all the features that should be standard in a new bike.

Time will tell... :rolleyes:

.... I'm betting on a new design before long. Hope I'm right and I bet you do too. :D

JohnConner
:rd13:
:usflag1:

Honda sells lots of stuff besides motorcyle in the US and they sell a lot of non-US market bikes in the rest of their world. We were once their biggest market by far,,, no more.
Lots of things have changed since then except my haircut. People here want to drive a car not a motorcycle and motorcycles are no longer transportation in the US but are mostly toys. Its the natural progression of a changing society. The UK and Europe after WWII was the largest buyer of motorcycles until their economy recovered in the late 50s and motorcycles were exchanged for cars then the US boom in the 60's and 70's then the pacific rim boom in the 80s and 90s. China and Asia will continue to buy tremendous numbers of small displacement motorcycles as their consumer economies develop and Honda is right in the mix as they should be. Motorcycle sales in the US all but died in the 80's and we are the aging riders of that era. Honda is trying to develop another US boomlet with the 250, 500s, and 700s to bring in young riders. There aren't enough of us 50 to 70 year olds to justify a costly new ST that will sell in the tiny numbers that sport touring bikes do. Sad but factual. If the small and middleweight new Hondas don't bring in new riders when we are gone that is it. Most of us talk the talk but we aren't going to buy another new motorcycle that costs as much as two new luxury cars did 40 years ago.

This is long, but hey, it's a rainy Sunday morning...

I believe there are some misconceptions here and often repeating. First; that is a wrong statement that they are concentrated on small bikes.

I base that on what I read a few years ago in Honda's 2010 Annual Report, where they discuss robust growth in Asian markets and plans for expanding production in India and Vietnam. (They did carry out those plans and are now enjoying more sales as a result. The India operation now produces 2.2 million units annually.) Go read the Motorcycle Business sections of that and the 2013 Annual Report and tell me where they're selling the most bikes and what kinds of bikes they're launching. Even in the North American market, they attribute their increased sales to small and mid-sized models:

...Honda?s consolidated unit sales in North America for fiscal year 2013 increased 25.0% from the previous fiscal year to 250 thousand units. Of this, consolidated unit sales of motorcycles increased 43.0% from the previous fiscal year to 153 thousand units, mainly due to steady sales of models such as the newly introduced large NC700X model featuring outstanding fuel economy and the PCX model scooter, primarily in the U.S.

You're thinking about this as if North America were a big market for Honda motorcycles, and the numbers say it isn't. The 2013 Annual Report shows that Honda and its subsidiaries sold 15,494,000 motorcycles and ATVs worldwide in 2013. 250,000 of those units, or about 1.6% sold in North America. Yamaha's 2012 Annual Report shows a similar pattern. Kawasaki sold a much larger percentage in emerging markets, but I've visited some of those places and Kawasakis are a rarity in a sea of Hondas and Yamahas.

Second; people buying bikes, I see them all the time... They buy cheaper and more capable bikes. More comfortable and more sophisticated. That is why st is not selling. MY FRIEND IN TURKIYE HAS A 125 CC MOTORCYCLE COST 1750 DOLLARS NEW, GOES LIKE PRRRRR AND HAS A GEAR INDICATOR.

...And would suck eggs as a touring mount.

Most bikes in that class aren't built to the same standards as the bikes you buy here because the price has to be kept down to what the people buying them can afford. In a lot of markets, they're cheap primary transportation, not recreational toys like they are here.

Honda just introduced a North American bike in that displacement and price bracket. It's called the Grom and has an MSRP of $3,000. It reaches 60 in about the same time as a Civic, will bump the rev limiter when you get there and doesn't displace enough to be legal on limited-access highways in many states.

I won't buy into the Sport Touring market being a tiny minority of bikes.

How about some rough estimates based on what can be scraped up from annual reports and recall notices to help put this one to bed?

• Honda. Being generous and assuming that annual production (and sales) of STs for North America is still the 2,200 units it was back in 2003-2004. Of the 153,000 motorcycles produced in 2012, that's 1.4%. If you use the 2010 figure from the recalls (600), which is probably much closer to current reality, it's 0.3%. (That doesn't take into account the fact that there are no 2011 or 2013s, which averages annual production for this market down to 300.)
  • Yamaha. They sold 72,000 motorcycles here last year, and a recall issued in 2009 hints that 3,300 of those were FJRs. 4.6%.
  • Kawasaki. Based on a recall that covered the 2008-2012 model years, Kawasaki is averaging 2,660 C14s per year. Someone at a large Kawasaki dealer once told me they sell a lot more ATVs and watercraft than they do motorcycles, so let's assume a third of the 121,000 units (40,333) they sold here were motorcycles. 6.6%
  • BMW. Sold 14,455 motorcycles in the U.S. in 2012. Based on recall information from 2009, I figure about 1,530 of those were R1200RTs. 10.5%
  • Suzuki. Not in the sport-touring market, but sold 42,000 motorcycles here in 2011. 0%.
  • Harley-Davidson. Also not in the sport-touring market, but sold 151,000 motorcycles in 2011, almost as many as Honda. 0%.
  • Triumph. Appears privately held and doesn't reveal production numbers. Rumor has it worldwide production is about 50,000, so let's assume 20% of that (10,000) comes to the U.S. A recall reveals that they imported 513 Trophies in 2012. 5%.

That accounts for 482,788 motorcycles sold here. Using the "generous" figure for the ST1300, 10,203, or about 2.1% of unit sales, fell into the sport-touring category. Using the probably-closer-to-current number puts the total at 8,603 or 1.7%. I'll leave it up to someone else to decide what kind of minority that is, but it's definitely a minority.

If Honda chose to be a leader rather than a follower, they could take a fair sized bite out of BMW, Kawasaki, & Yamaha sales in the Sport Touring market. Grabbing a few buyers from each brand would add up.

Even if Honda were to snap up the entire North American sport-touring market, we're talking about a total volume of less than 10,000 units. I'd be very hard pressed to ask my management to fund a marketing blitz to grab a few more sales of a low-volume product in a low-volume segment and not get laughed out of the room. I'd be even harder pressed to ask them to fund development of a new model in that segment unless I had marketing data that said they'd sell. (Not that I have any clue what marketing data led Honda to produce such hot sellers as the DN-01, Fury and VFR1200.)

Except that the figures in the annual reports say that Honda is growing its brand selling scooters and other small displacement bikes. They're just not doing it in the U.S. market and definitely not in our segment. They can try to sell 10,000 sport-touring bikes at at $15,000 each for $150 million in revenue or a few million 125s at $1,500 each and take in $4.5 billion. The margins on the 125s are probably a lot thinner, but not enough to overcome a factor of 30 in revenue dollars.

--Mark

If Sport Touring was such a dud, why would Yamaha and Kawasaki be re-upping the anty?

Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki gave up on the luxury market 'cause they can't compete with the Gold Wing. Honda OWNS that segment. Harley has a captive audience and BMW has their new 6 cylinder but it's Honda for the win.

We've talked before about why Honda wouldn't import the ST accessories to the US: don't wanna dilute their GL market. Still true.

And, don't count'em out,,, they can land in this market again any time they want.

The argument of motorcycles as basic transportation vs motorcycles as toys or travel accessories is interesting. Sooner than later, getting into (or onto) any vehicle that burns fossil fuels and heading off across the country as an entertainment will die out, just as surely as our generation will die out. Fundamentally, what we do IS archaic and the vehicles that we use to do it, are also archaic.

Think about it. A bunch of people climb on to their bikes for a Sunday ride, each with engine that burns as much (or more) fossil fuels than a modern four passenger car, each spewing signifcantly more greenhouse gasses into the air than a modern car. From an environmental standpoint, we would all be better off if we each headed off on our group ride in our own Volt or Prius, which on the surface seems ridiculous.

I'm old enough to remember the Sunday Drive as a family activity. How many people go for a Sunday drive today? Fossile fueled motorsports in general, and touring in particular, will ultimately die out. We may be seeing the beginnins of it now, as our collective conscience (and gasoline prices) begin to make us question what we do for entertainment. And it will be quite a while (if ever) before we see a viable electric touring/sport touring motorcycle.

Maybe Honda sees this. Maybe they don't. Maybe our children's children will look back on our hobby as being bizarre. Perhaps they will say, "Imagine, getting on a fossil-fueled motorcycle and riding 10,000 miles in 10 days, and burning all that gasoline -- just to see if you could do it! What were they thinking?"

Last edited:

This is long, but hey, it's a rainy Sunday morning...

Mark;
No matter what the numbers are, if there is St that means honda makes them and wants the money. If not, they will not produce it. They make spoons or radios or something. They can not say, well we don't sell much so screw it, hey engineers just lay back do facebook or something, we don't need any upgrades or what ever.... we can go like this another 20 years.
I was not clear for that I am sorry. I meant if a 1000 dollar motorcycle can have a gear indicator, shame on honda for not putting it on a 18k dollar bike. What a retard move. Is it hard to do it. For honda, yes. Look at them, since 2003 to 2013 they didn't come up with anything considered update. I like my st because I bought it with 56 modifications already built in on it. YES IT IS TRUE...Today if I have 15k to buy a bike, st is not the one considered. Not because it is a sport tourer, because honda treats st as a "who cares". It sucks in so many areas compared to other bikes.
I agree with other people here, when we buy we compare yamaha to bmw to kawasaki to suzuki to honda... What is honda doing in the competition ? Nothing. What is it to do with small bikes big bikes this sells that sells??? That excuse they come up with is just silly.... But hey, who I am to talk about those smart people, huge honda, i am just a rider who buys bikes, and i am not buying an st. Now that will tell something to mother honda, it is telling them.
They come up with vfr1200f, and they suck so much it is beyond belief. Why? Because they did not listened the market. They have to do what market wants because market has the money, they pay for what they want. Not what mother handa thinks its right. They produced a tourer which has NO TOURING CAPABILITY what so ever... Nothing... Yes if you spend another 4k for all additions you can make it somewhat a tourable bike but It will still not really. That is what a vfr1200f is.
Why beak bikes selling??? Well, they are couple k cheaper, no fairing to deal with, when dropped less money to be spent to fix, LIGHTER, LIGHTER, LIGHTER bikes... They have better gas mileage too. More capable on dirt and bad roads. You can fix quicker since they are naked. Sitting position is the best, you dont need any 300$ bar raisers, they are already raised. That is what I am looking for myself too.
Triumph comes with Tiger Explorer 1200, can anyone tell me which areas st beats this bike ? If you want to do touring which one would you consider if both given to you for free???

Last edited:

The argument of motorcycles as basic transportation vs motorcycles as toys or travel accessories is interesting. Sooner than later, getting into (or onto) any vehicle that burns fossil fuels and heading off across the country as an entertainment will die out, just as surely as our generation will die out. Fundamentally, what we do IS archaic and the vehicles that we use to do it, are also archaic.

Think about it. A bunch of people climb on to their bikes for a Sunday ride, each with engine that burns as much (or more) fossil fuels than a modern four passenger car, each spewing signifcantly more greenhouse gasses into the air than a modern car. From an environmental standpoint, we would all be better off if we each headed off on our group ride in our own Volt or Prius, which on the surface seems ridiculous.

I'm old enough to remember the Sunday Drive as a family activity. How many people go for a Sunday drive today? Fossile fueled motorsports in general, and touring in particular, will ultimately die out. We may be seeing the beginnins of it now, as our collective conscience (and gasoline prices) begin to make us question what we do for entertainment. And it will be quite a while (if ever) before we see a viable electric touring/sport touring motorcycle.

Maybe Honda sees this. Maybe they don't. Maybe our children's children will look back on our hobby as being bizarre. Perhaps they will say, "Imagine, getting on a fossil-fueled motorcycle and riding 10,000 miles in 10 days, and burning all that gasoline -- just to see if you could do it! What were they thinking?"

Holy Cow, Glen! Why don't you rain on our parade! :D

You are going to get some rebuttal on this topic. Using words like "heading off across the country", "entertainment", "archaic" and "fossil" sounds like you are picking on Mr. Catt, Mr. McKechnie and Mr. Donaldson. :rofl1: :rofl1: :crackup

How about Yamaha? Looking at the number of FJRs in the IBR compared to STs, it's clear who is the favorite there. The number of FJRs in the top 10 shows they did their homework and again, it paid off. While that doesn't directly translate to money, it shows where there is some interest, and where the Sport Touring riders are now turning.

Jim, I think you are confusing man and machine in this example. I'd be willing to bet that you could have taken any of those top 10 riders on FJRs, stuck them on an ST, Gold Wing, BMW, whatever and they would have finished in the same place. I got to know Curt well enough to know he could have setup any of those bikes and had no problem riding them competitively.

You are right though in that there were a large number of riders in that event on FJRs with 16 (listed on the 1st checkpoint results sheet) compared to the 7 ST riders (5 1300's and 2 1100s) but there were also 17 riders on BMW GS bikes and 15 riders on Wings. It would be interesting to ask the riders at the beginning of the rally why they choose the bike that they are riding...

Holy Cow, Glen! Why don't you rain on our parade! :D

You are going to get some rebuttal on this topic.
Just caught me in a philosophical mood this morning. The point is, that maybe, just maybe, an NC700X is enough. Like Joe, I do find my wife's DL650 completely capable of touring (that's what I ask her to do on it). But I also find myself riding it more and more for daily and other purposes.

Hell, a friend's son (+ girlfriend) recently completed a circumnavigation of the glove on a Suzuki 250 dual sport. Two up.

We get hung up on trinkets and gadgets, and we are forgetting our roots. Back in the day a 750 was THE big bike on the block. My first bike was Honda's big gun in the mid-sixties: the CB450. People used to go places on those bikes. And have fun too. And they did it without gear indicators and radar detectors and satelite radio and iPhones and Bluetooth and cruise control and heated seats and ...

Last edited:

We get hung up on trinkets and gadgets, and we are forgetting our roots. Back in the day a 750 was THE big bike on the block. My first bike was Honda's big gun in the mid-sixties: the CB450. People used to go places on those bikes. And have fun too. And they did it without gear indicators and radar detectors and satelite radio and iPhones and Bluetooth and cruise control and heated seats and ...

And in those days people did 200-300 mile days on back roads to get places. Interstates were still fairly new and there weren't nearly as many of them. Averaging 45mph for a day is easy on a 450. Try jumping on the interstate with that bike for a 700 mile day...several days in a row. Our needs, wants, and expectations change. Look at the cage market. Its nearly impossible to find a car without an automatic transmission, A/C, and a navigation system as standard equipment. That is what people want (even though I'd rather have a manual, aftermarket GPS, and could live without AC since a cage only gets used in the winter).

Jim, I think you are confusing man and machine in this example. I'd be willing to bet that you could have taken any of those top 10 riders on FJRs, stuck them on an ST, Gold Wing, BMW, whatever and they would have finished in the same place. I got to know Curt well enough to know he could have setup any of those bikes and had no problem riding them competitively.

You are right though in that there were a large number of riders in that event on FJRs with 16 (listed on the 1st checkpoint results sheet) compared to the 7 ST riders (5 1300's and 2 1100s) but there were also 17 riders on BMW GS bikes and 15 riders on Wings. It would be interesting to ask the riders at the beginning of the rally why they choose the bike that they are riding...

I didn't say they couldn't have done it with an ST, just that they could have chosen any bike to purchase, and they chose other brands. A few years ago STs were in high numbers for the IBR. Now, even though they have a very good reputation for going the distance, riders are choosing other brands. Few are switching FROM other brands to STs. And why should they? Dollar for dollar the bikes cost nearly the same (Honda actually higher than some), but with the ST many more dollars have to be spent to get the standard equipment the other's come with (or optional equipment for the others that Honda just plain doesn't offer). Some are just plain silly...I can buy a cheap ATV and it comes with a power outlet...but Honda doesn't see fit to put one on a TOURING bike.

We can discuss all day how many sport-touring bikes are sold, but apparently other brands see a market for them, as Kawasaki, Yamaha, and BMW all invest R&D dollars to update theirs, and Triumph chose to spend their limited funds to come out with an entirely new model just to enter the market.

Here's an interesting quote from this month's Motorcycle Mojo magazine (they did a quick review of Honda's new models: CB1100, FB6 and the CB500s, from which this quote was pulled):

"Still aiming to nourish a growing market, Honda have recently released three new mid-range models - CB500 (etc)... Like the NC700, the 500s were designed as "world bikes". What does this mean? The massive amounts of R&D to develop a brand-new model can be amortized over a world market to keep costs down for the consumer."

"World bikes" seems to be where Honda is heading. Design motorcycles that will sell on any continent. Ford recently adopted the same strategy. In other words, they are phasing out of catering to regional markets.

And in those days people did 200-300 mile days on back roads to get places. Interstates were still fairly new and there weren't nearly as many of them. Averaging 45mph for a day is easy on a 450. Try jumping on the interstate with that bike for a 700 mile day...several days in a row.
This pretty much describes what most sport touring riders go out of their way to avoid -- back-to-back 700 miles days on the Interstate. Don't know about you, but finding the out-of-the-way, twisty road with no traffic is the holy grail for many of us. If you want to pound the Interstate all day at 80 mph, they make an app for that. It's called the Gold Wing.

Back
Top Bottom