Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

The ST was made to do it all. Slab to the Dragon from California, hit the twisties, then slab home. At home in any environment. The 'Wing is a nice bike, but not what I would want for a nice twisty road. The little bikes Honda is concentrating on would be great commuters or for the back roads, but I wouldn't want to ride through 6 states to get there on them. The ST is the swiss army knife of bikes. It will do whatever we ask of it and do it fairly well.

I think a lot of the FJR popularity amongst the IBR riders has to do with Warchild having been an advocate of the brand - having jumped ship from the ST1100 to the FJR rather than the ST1300. That and his FJR forum participants chipping in and helping him get another FJR after his first expired in a deer encounter.

But then, I can't quite understand the continuing popularity of BMW in the IBR, after having so many expire prematurely. Maybe they ought to lump the BMW's into the "Hopeless" class. :rofl1:

I didn't say they couldn't have done it with an ST, just that they could have chosen any bike to purchase, and they chose other brands. A few years ago STs were in high numbers for the IBR. Now, even though they have a very good reputation for going the distance, riders are choosing other brands. Few are switching FROM other brands to STs. And why should they? Dollar for dollar the bikes cost nearly the same (Honda actually higher than some), but with the ST many more dollars have to be spent to get the standard equipment the other's come with (or optional equipment for the others that Honda just plain doesn't offer). Some are just plain silly...I can buy a cheap ATV and it comes with a power outlet...but Honda doesn't see fit to put one on a TOURING bike.

Perhaps that's what you meant however what you said was this:

How about Yamaha? Looking at the number of FJRs in the IBR compared to STs, it's clear who is the favorite there. The number of FJRs in the top 10 shows they did their homework and again, it paid off. While that doesn't directly translate to money, it shows where there is some interest, and where the Sport Touring riders are now turning.

FJR's have always held a numbers advantage over the ST1300 in the IBR ever since the rally in 2003. I suspect initial cost might have a big factor in that choice. Hard to know without asking them. While the IBR riders certainly are part of the sport touring group, their wants and needs are far different from the average sport touring rider.

Bike200320052007200920112013
ST13001361195
FJR130071114191615

The number of STs almost dropped in half from two years ago, while the FJR was reduced by one. It shows how the ST isn't holding it's own. Of course price is a big factor- as I pointed out, you get a lot more for your money from an FJR. I still very much like the ST platform, I just with it had features found on other bikes. I still think Honda could have hung on a bit longer by doing a mild redesign a few years ago- leave the mechanicals along and just upgrade the plastic a bit, and add the features many buyers are looking for.

It is worth noting that several of the FJRs in this year's IBR are actually Gen 1s. The Gen 2s (06-12) are well represented also. Yet I don't recall any Gen 3 FJRs (2013). While it is true that Honda has not modernized and supported our ST1300, the FJRs it is competing against in the IBR are equally "old school". Just food for thought.

If you're going to use IBR entries as a metric, the raw numbers don't tell the entire story.

Are riders who rode STs in the past not in recent rallies? Thane Silliker hasn't been in the last two, John Harrison, Michael Boge, Bill Thewatt and Andy Kirby and Curt Gran didn't ride this year. I can't speak for the others, but I doubt Thane and Curt would have switched brands.

Are riders who've been in past rallies on STs abandoning them for something else?

How many riders on FJRs have never been in an IBR before?

--Mark

I am a new rider posting in an old thread, but Honda just needs to do a few things to make me think of buying another ST in the future. Add DCT tranny, find a way to get 50 mpg, update electronics, add adjustable venting to control the heat, standard electrical outlets, heated grips, and did I say DCT as a motorcycle is no fun in a traffic jam on the interstate.

Last edited:

Further proof that there is no "one size fits all" motorcycle. The ST1300 already gets better fuel economy than the continually updated FJR, the heat never bothers me (and I live in South Louisiana), and I would not have the DCT transmission if it were given to me. Each to his own I suppose. I don't think I am going to wear my ST out any time soon so they can take their time with a replacement for me. YMMV

Further proof that there is no "one size fits all" motorcycle. The ST1300 already gets better fuel economy than the continually updated FJR, the heat never bothers me (and I live in South Louisiana), and I would not have the DCT transmission if it were given to me. Each to his own I suppose. I don't think I am going to wear my ST out any time soon so they can take their time with a replacement for me. YMMV
Every time I read this thread I think the same, the great thing is after 35 years of riding, I "finaly" found the perfect motorcycle for ME (don't realy care what others want) The number one reason I come to this forum is to find ways to make my awesome ST1300 better by copying the modifications of other's (farkles or what ever gay name anyone wants to give it) I must say that for me is a plus because I can take a base model ST1300 and custom fit it to my needs. Don't care if Honda's sales on this model are not so great, in fact I LIKE having a bike that not many others own. I rode a Harley for so many years because it made me "different" hahahaha----now they are friggin everywhere. The ST1300 is what I shall own for many years to come (THANKS Honda for making my dream machine so perfect)

If Sport Touring riders were out just to ride 2 lane backroads they would all ride Versyses (Versees?) and SV650s. I agree with Jim, Sport Touring riders for the most part want to be just as comfortable at 80mph for 800 miles as they do scraping pegs for 300 miles. Fully loaded or not, solo or 2 up.
Which is why I modified the seat, windshield, throttle, suspension, horn, electrics, exhaust, engine and invested in a 100 liter dry bag to strap on the back of my bike. Also installed a modified JMCB handlebar mounted radio that normaly transmits 10 miles easily and powers up my mp3 player while listening to perfect clear tunes via earbuds. (yesterday morning the weather was perfect for CB comm and I chatted with others just over 100 miles away) My point here is----I realize not everyone is that tech savy, but with the right mods, this bike can do it all with absolute comfort, performance and reliability better than all other's. I always get better gas mileage than most, 50 mpg is not uncommon for me.

Last edited:

IBR Finishers 2011 (not a complete list):

ST1300 = 9
FJR1300 = 14
Gold Wing = 15
R1200RT = 6
R1200 GS = 12

Focusing on just the FJR is perhaps missing the bigger picture.

Last edited:

IBR Finishers 2011 (not a complete list):

ST1300 = 3
FJR1300 = 14
Gold Wing = 15
R1200RT = 6
R1200 GS = 12

Focusing on just the FJR is perhaps missing the bigger picture.

I'm don't know about the other brands, but your number for the ST1300s is in error. The 2011 IBR was a super year for ST1300s and their riders: 9 finishers out of 9--no DNFs-- and 3 ST1300s were top 10 finishers

Using the IBR to determine motorcycle popularity and somehow correlate that to motorcycle sales is just wrong IMO. How many Harleys have been in the IBR? Because whether we like it or not they're probably the most popular bike in the US.

Motorcycle development, production and marketing are based on sales and sales alone. We're talking business here, not passion. Sometimes the two collide and work but typically they are two different animals that don't work well together to provide a mass-produced, marketable, sell-able product.

It's funny how some have talked about the DN-01 and Rune and even the newer VFR and said 'geesh, hasn't Honda learned their lesson', yet in the same breath 'why hasn't the ST been updated?'...

Honda will do what's right for Honda... if may be something WE end up liking, or not...

There are always choices and like stated in a previous post, Honda could jump in at any time and blow away the competition, so don't be surprised when they do.

I'm don't know about the other brands, but your number for the ST1300s is in error. The 2011 IBR was a super year for ST1300s and their riders: 9 finishers out of 9--no DNFs-- and 3 ST1300s were top 10 finishers
Oops, you are right. They spelled ST 1300 (ST1300) two different ways, and I didn't notice that (used the search function to highlight them for a quick count).

I've corrected mine. The info came from here (bottom of page):

http://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm

My opinion about the relevance of IBR participants is that for one type of riding (the type of riding that a large, heavy, reliable motorcycle with a big, smooth engine would excel at -- namely Interstate riding) riders choose from a variety of motorcycles. Joe's right, though. This is a niche that isn't really representative of what the broader population would choose to do with a sport/touring motorcycle.

Last edited:

Wow, 18 boxer BMWs finished the 2011 IBR! So much for problems with reliability, huh.

I think it is quite obvious which direction Honda is heading with new bikes. I own one of their "world bikes" (NC 700 X) and am quite happy with it. It's fun, cheap and reliable. It can be made into as much of a touring bike as any other 650 cc class bike made and sold in the US with some tweaking. I've spent thousands of dollars modifying both of the Hondas I've owned to make them acceptable touring mounts, including my 07 ST. That certainly doesn't make me unique amongst Honda owners. On my RT, I've added highway pegs for knee comfort. That's it!

My RT cost less than a new ST with equivalent features added and they are all covered under warranty because they came on the bike. I realize BMW and Honda are two completely different animals since BMW is happy to sell a few sport tourers as it makes a larger percentage of their overall sales. BMW doesn't do generators, outboard motors, atvs or side by sides so their focus is selling bikes. You will see their sales increase over the next few years as the new water cooled boxer is placed into the GSA and R bikes.

Will BMW reliability ever be as good as Honda? I don't know. But, I do know that many claims made about BMW reliability are anecdotal and not experienced first hand. It's a Honda forum so I expect that....kinda like Harley bashing.

BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki and Yamaha put more effort into sport tourers because that segment makes up a larger proportion of their sales......simple. Honda is too big to really care about the ST. Would you want to spend millions retooling your plant for a new ST that you will only sell a couple thousand bikes a year worldwide? Not when you can sell tens of thousands of "world bikes" in a year.

I typed all of that on my phone....I've gotta cramp
Mike

You forgot a big new market for Honda -- autonomous robots.

The argument of motorcycles as basic transportation vs motorcycles as toys or travel accessories is interesting. Sooner than later, getting into (or onto) any vehicle that burns fossil fuels and heading off across the country as an entertainment will die out, just as surely as our generation will die out. Fundamentally, what we do IS archaic and the vehicles that we use to do it, are also archaic.

Think about it. A bunch of people climb on to their bikes for a Sunday ride, each with engine that burns as much (or more) fossil fuels than a modern four passenger car, each spewing signifcantly more greenhouse gasses into the air than a modern car. From an environmental standpoint, we would all be better off if we each headed off on our group ride in our own Volt or Prius, which on the surface seems ridiculous.

I'm old enough to remember the Sunday Drive as a family activity. How many people go for a Sunday drive today? Fossile fueled motorsports in general, and touring in particular, will ultimately die out. We may be seeing the beginnins of it now, as our collective conscience (and gasoline prices) begin to make us question what we do for entertainment. And it will be quite a while (if ever) before we see a viable electric touring/sport touring motorcycle.
There is a simple response to this dystopian illusion: recreational boating.

Back
Top Bottom