Rode a new 'winger.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I don't think the lack of an electric windshield on Goldwing is an oversight. Look at most Goldwings. They either have the stock windshield or more likely a larger one, taller and maybe wider, as if the stock one isn't huge enough.

It's extremely rare to find one with a shorter windshield.

What good would an electic windshield do them?

Ray

nm6r said:
I don't think the lack of an electric windshield on Goldwing is an oversight. Look at most Goldwings. They either have the stock windshield or more likely a larger one, taller and maybe wider, as if the stock one isn't huge enough.

It's extremely rare to find one with a shorter windshield.

What good would an electic windshield do them?

Ray
Some guys on the Goldwing like the high windshield, mainly to reduce the buffeting to their back seater. Thats why you see so many of the alien looking Tulsa Tall windshield. I'm not comfortable at all looking through a windshield so I've stayed with the stock and keep it all the way down. You'll find that wingers are split about 50/50 on the topic.

There is an aftermarket electric windshield for the Goldwing, the Windbender, that a lot of guys use. Personally, I'm thinking of chopping the stock windshield down another 2 to 4 inches to go with more air cooling me off. Here's a pic of a sharp looking modified Goldwing that has a chopped windshield (as well as other mods).

The BMW 1200 LT has an electric shield. The Wing should have one too, at least as an option.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Dorian said:
Here's a pic of a sharp looking modified Goldwing that has a chopped windshield (as well as other mods).
Hmmmm, sharp looking? There is no such thing as a sharp looking Goldwing. All bagger type motorcycles (Ultra glide, K1200LT, Goldwing) look like crap. There is no way you can put a throne on the back of any motorcycle and say it looks good. I have ridden the GL1800 and find it a very competent and comfortable bike. Would I ever own one? Not in my lifetime!

I even hate to use the Givi on mine, and take it off anytime I'm not on a long trip.

Phil

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bagger? Last I looked the ST had bags too, in fact, looks better with the bags than without, IMO.. Maybe you mean Trunker... :eek:

Funny thing is, I see sportbikers and VFR type owners saying the same thing about STs..

I love the look of the Wing and even though is doesn't look all that much different from the 1500s I think it's a huge improvement. I have a Windbender shield on mine and had to cut it down about 2 inches so I could look over it.

I think the electric shield would be nice however, I never move mine from where it is as my seating position doesn't allow me to move my posture much. On the ST, you have to pay close attention to your posture and therefore, change the shield height if you move around, at least that was my experience.

Isn't variety nice..

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
nm6r said:
They are doggy ears. That's also not my helmet.

Ray
Ray

Talking about things stuck to helmets, I know it sidetracks the thread a little. But I had a lady on a course a couple of years ago, well, lady, she has now married one of my best mates, but she could fetch ducks off water so to speak. Very good looking, fun to be with and a loverly pair of fun bags! (Use your imagination gentlemen)

She had some so called ears hanging off her helmet. Problem was, when they got wet they looked like a pair of Tampins (remove the 'i' and replace with an 'o') hanging about, did I laugh or did I laugh. When I explained to her what I was laughing at she also broke out into histerical laughter, typical Scotsperson, can see the funny side of most things.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but it was funny for me. The gal I am talking about now rides a CBR 600, and if any of you get over here, she would be most upset if she did not get to meet you, and she would certainly have an impact on you!

Sorry dudes just a friendly funny story, my humblest apologies :bow1:

curmudgeon said:
Hmmmm, sharp looking? There is no such thing as a sharp looking Goldwing. All bagger type motorcycles (Ultra glide, K1200LT, Goldwing) look like crap. There is no way you can put a throne on the back of any motorcycle and say it looks good. I have ridden the GL1800 and find it a very competent and comfortable bike. Would I ever own one? Not in my lifetime!

I even hate to use the Givi on mine, and take it off anytime I'm not on a long trip.

Phil
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At least that what I tell folks that state our ST looks (and sounds) like a scooter on steroids.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Dorian said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At least that what I tell folks that state our ST looks (and sounds) like a scooter on steroids.
The above is always true, and when I knock the looks of a Goldwing it goes unsaid that it's just my personal opinion. You're also right that many others view the ST like I view Goldwings.

I thought bagger was what Harley types called the biggest touring bikes like the Ultra Glide. You can put bags on sport bikes, but Harley types wouldn't call them baggers. So I think the common usage of the word bagger doesn't imply all bikes with bags.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Dorian said:
Some guys on the Goldwing like the high windshield, mainly to reduce the buffeting to their back seater. Thats why you see so many of the alien looking Tulsa Tall windshield.
I have gone to plenty of GoldWing events and have never personally seen a shorter than stock windshield on any of them besides mine when I had it.

Dorian said:
You'll find that wingers are split about 50/50 on the topic.
I respectfully disagree. I'm sure there is a slim minority that want a much shorter windshield. I imagine that minority goes up just out of wanting an electric windshield because the LT and ST has it, even though they would have it up high all the time and/or never adjust it anyway.

Just my observations and humble opinion.

Ray

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mine's shorter than stock, it's a Windbender ST and I even cut another 2 inches off of it. Now it's perfect where I can look over it by about 3-4 inches.

I've never liked looking through a windshield on any bike I've had, I guess if I always had a passenger and the big Tulsa shield you see on so many wings was the only way she'd be comfortable, I'd do it, but I wouldn't like it.

My personal opinion about the elect shield on the Wing is that you sit very upright on the bike, so even if you slouch a little, it's not much of a difference. On the ST and maybe the LT as well, if you slouch there's a bigger vertical difference in where your eyes are.. so, the elect shield is a great option in those cases... with so many Wingers having the tulsa shield I doubt they'd even use the elect one much if it were an option... And, they'd probably have that as an option you'd have to get BEFORE the ABS package...

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I believe that charcoal Gold Wing is the one they sell in Germany. It has a shorter trunk as well as the lower wind screen. I have a stock shield and keep it in the lowest position.

motomac said:
I believe that charcoal Gold Wing is the one they sell in Germany. It has a shorter trunk as well as the lower wind screen. I have a stock shield and keep it in the lowest position.
Actually, the wing pictured above is a Cobra modified wing made for that guy that is the top road racer for Honda (I don't follow racing so I don't know his name, but he modifies a Goldwing every couple of years to try and help Honda sell the concept that a Wing can work for young folks too.) If you look closely you can see the rear seat and trunk have been chopped, the header cowls have been removed as well as the lower cowl, and the whole bottom half has been painted to match the tupperware.

This bike has since been sold to a regular Goldwinger (the price was in the upper 30's if memory serves me right).

If folks doubt the 50/50 split on windshield height in the Goldwing community, head on over to their boards and check out the discussions. The reason you see mostly the tall shields at Goldwing meets is because the short-shield folks aren't into the conventions.... they are riders and tend not to travel in packs.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's all about finding what works for YOU.. and the Wife...

What color did you get? And what package?

Top Bottom