Sena SMH10 Review

I would like to hear more that would convince me to move from a Scala G4.

1. About music quality, particularly bass response and volume, I realize audiophile quality won't be there. I realize this is subjective, but a comparison to Autocom, Edsets, J&M would be helpful as a reference point.

2. Battery life - Scala has it beat by a long shot, I can go 2 days. Perhaps you were giving it heavier duty use than normal with phone calls, constantly talking on intercom, etc.?

3. Advantage if you can plug in some earbuds or better speakers.

I bought the G9x cradle (the G4's work with it) I plug my custom molded ear plugs with speakers right into it. bonus is the boom is on the inside of the helmet.

Anyone using the boom mic with their Sena SMH 10, on a 3/4 helmet? I would like to know how the boom attaches, because a past boom type I had used a velcro sticky to the helmet which was as useless at holding the boom in place with a wad of chewing gum.

Thank you.

That's what I would want, but is there a model designation for that type? I'd hate to order the wrong one and I can see no different model numbers when searching the product line.

The one in the revzilla link is the correct one... and probably the most popular, I can't remember the other designations for the other clamps. The 20s actually comes with all 3 versions of the clamp.

Question solved. I found a phone number at Sena and got it straight from the horse's mouth that I want a Sena SMH 10D-10, the second "10" designating the base model which does not come with the two different types of mic that are available. If you want both types of mic, or even if you only want the chin bar stick on full face helmet type, you order the SMH 10D-11. The "D" is for "dual" - two units. The "11" model does not have the same boom mic attachment method.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone else as well.

The one in the revzilla link is the correct one... and probably the most popular, I can't remember the other designations for the other clamps. The 20s actually comes with all 3 versions of the clamp.

Yes, that does appear to be it, even though I don't see the full alpha/numeric designation on the web site. Thanks for your help.

One thing no-one seems to the range of the units BT when used for Bike to bike intercom.

I used this function recently, when talking to another bike that had CB problems. The SMH10 is advertised as having a range of up to 500 meters, during our use, the range was found to be closer to 1000 meters on a road that was tree lined and at speed up to 110 Ks/H (we wouldnt exceed the speed limit, would we??) with excellent audio quality. Vox was set to off, hot mike on. Vox can be annoying as wind gusts getting into the helmet would trigger the mike.

I have used the paired phone ( Galxy note3) at speeds of > 110Ks with no problems. The other party didnt even realise that I was on the bike.

Battery life is excellent, I have occasionally forgotten to turn the unit off at night, and still had it working for the week. Of course, the battery runs out half way through the ride home, just as there is a report of major traffic disrupt.......

The SMH10 is an excellent unit, dont forhte to use the update utility to change the units settings to those best for you.

My settings with sirware V5.1.1 (latest version)
VOX Phone Enable
VOX Intercom Disable
EDR Enable
High Quality A2DP Enable
SideTone Disable (can get annoying hearing yourself talk)
Mic Boosting Enable

The SMH10 is advertised as having a range of up to 500 meters, during our use, the range was found to be closer to 1000 meters

I also found the range to be better than rated... but only on open roads with good line of sight. When you start to add elev changes and trees in the works I've found it to drop quite a bit down to 200meters before static/clipping start.

Top Bottom