She said yes... ;-> (NT700VA)

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I rented an NT700 a few years ago on one of my 3-week Alps tours. Some of my tour members have also rented it over the years. It's a great mid-sized bike. I gave some serious thought to keeping one in Europe to use but in the end I decided I wanted something with a little more power for 2-up riding.

It sounds like you've got it nicely sorted out. I'm glad the girlfriend likes it - it's great to be able to ride together like that.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It sounds like you've got it nicely sorted out. I'm glad the girlfriend likes it - it's great to be able to ride together like that.
Yeah-right, now I did it... :shrug2:

... she already booked the next 1 week bike-vacation end of July for both of us ... :biggrin:

The NT rides almost like an ST: steady on straight passages, precise & well planted cornering... rider's stance a little more on the comfy side and less "sporty", not as much max power but confident torque for tight cornering/back-sweeps and still enough punch to handle pretty much any car in your way... 250kg/550lbs might seem a bit to handle on parking lots, but she's tall and getting along very fine...

In total no complaints from her side yet... :cool:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OK, this is getting weird now... ;)

This afternoon she actually chased a (heavy) storm front only to check out how the NT handles in a downpour... o_O :biggrin:

She returned kinda disappointed since the 'Ville didn't seem to care much, just kept going... :rofl1:

What difference some fairing and a decent windscreen make... :cool:
OTOH excellent that she's motivated to experiment around :thumb:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Uh-boy, what have I STarted... :potstir1:

Friend's wife, pillion on his ST1300 until now, has opted for a '19 NC750X ...

NC750X.png

A bit too insectoid for my taste, but she likes the ergonomics...

Now 3 bikes to observe in the rear-views...

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
MB, I am still leery of the brakes on ze GF's bike.

Two possible symptoms I would look out for:

* Bike is hard to keep balanced during sharp and/or slow turns; bike tends to tip in the same direction as the turning.

** Bike tends to be hard to steer when trail braking is used going into a turn or bend at speed; bike tends to end up being steered too sharply, and maybe to even to go off the road towards the inside of the turn.

Finally, if you ever see such unacceptable performance, I would go to that left front caliper that has three pistons and two brake hoses; see if there is a separate bleed valve on that caliper for the middle piston.

(By the way, I predict that the middle piston will be noticeably smaller than the two outer pistons there.)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
MB, I am still leery of the brakes on ze GF's bike.
So far she does not seem to have any trouble handling the NT through corners and back-sweeps...
Less experienced and under-powered she's a little slower and, thankfully a bit more carefully then me, but already uses all avail thread surface on her rear tire :cool:

She only dropped it in parking lots, pretty much in standstill; if that's enforced by the high CG (tank over engine) or indeed due the linked brakes is still under investigation (she can't remember how she did it nor if she used the rear brake in any way there; I remember the first beemer's with their "linked brake system" were notorious for parking lot folleys due their insensitive pressure distribution... touch the rear brake only gently and down you went...)
Not much damage though, I will apply some rubbery bumper-scuff protection protruding off the pannier lids to protect the paint there (by design the NT will fall fully on its side once dropped, the crash bars only protect clutch and alternator cover)
So far no harm except a dent in her pride :thumb:

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I dropped my ST several times until someone on this forum directed to look UP at the horizon when stopping. I was looking at the dashboard. Never dropped the ST after that. I still catch looking at the dashboard sometime, especially on the wing in reverse.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I dropped my ST several times until someone on this forum directed to look UP at the horizon when stopping. I was looking at the dashboard.
Yeah, having automated that myself, I didn't even consider this as possible contributing cause... good tip :thumb:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, since it does turn out that a loaded top-case impacts handling (it's not that I hadn't informed about this before... ;)), are we toying with different solutions...

A seat-bag brings the weight forward (will be used instead of the then removed top-case), but changes mounting the bike...

IMG_20200829_083912.jpg

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
At times I'm starting to worry...

... a couple of days ago she seriously asked if she'll need different tires for the winter ... what is she up to?! :oops:

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Sounds like she enjoys riding. I see from today's webcams that there is an unusual (for this time of yer) amount of snow, even in lower elevations across much of the Alps. Looks like she is simply making sure she can keep riding until the passes close (or maybe even after :)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
More updates/farkels for the NT...

IMG_20200925_101629.jpg IMG_20200925_101644.jpg

The inability of her TomTom Rider to handle MapSource/BaseCamp *.gpx route files was simply too unnerving... ;)
It pretends to convert the send file to ITN, starts the route, gives a promising map preview, but down the road it always goes berserk all over sudden... requiring power OFF/ON, insisting going back to the starting point and other woes... and don't even dare to step off the route for refueling or due a detour... :rolleyes:

First tests with the zumo look promising, OSM maps work flawless, drag'n'drop route transfer is easy, route import on the unit a tad inconvenient though...

She likes the color and the slim dimensions... :cool:

Bike
VStrom 650
Due to some recent "events" I upgraded the pannier lids with some adhesive (car bumper) scuff-pads...
Methinks they look quite OEM though ;)

IMG_20201002_144141.jpg

IMG_20201002_144150.jpg
I've seen them done well and badly, as in pig ugly badly.
But yes I agree, they look stock.
Well done Monsieur.
What are they off.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What are they off.
Some medium hard rubber/Butyl, double sided 3M tape on the back, inside cell structure so they compress... I thought I'll give them a try, worked out really well.

Top Bottom