Show us your Dual Sport!

I have recieved my backordered Trax

In my previous update I had just added the Conti TK80 tires and TRAX luggage Sans the Top box that was backordered. As I said before, I was able to keep the Turbo City Tom top rack which allowed me to buy the Twisted Throttle SW-Motech Universal Adapter Plate and the matching Top box. I mounted the adapter plate using some of the supplied hardware. I added some spacers and back nuts to the threaded tabs, I was afraid of the tabs stripping.

bikepics-1648139-800.jpg

bikepics-1648140-800.jpg

bikepics-1648141-800.jpg

bikepics-1648142-800.jpg

I do have one thing to report. The bag mounts on the BMW frame don't handle much weight. After riding for a few weeks with the side panniers loaded the mounts bent. To fix this I manufactured a brace for the mounts, See attached at bottom. It's a block of billet alluminum I cut on my band saw to fill the C channel of the mount. I drilled a hole for the hand rail screw, the little hole, and two 3/8 holes for bolts I put through the existing cutouts on the brace. I also JB Welded the brace in to the bracket. So far the fix seems to have held. The brackets are bullet proof, the next point to fail are the welds to the frame. If those break I will just wire weld them. I didn't wire weld the fix this time, just too lazy to disconnect the battery and the ECM, ABS modules and sensors.

attachment.php

I don't have a dual sport but here is want I want! BMW R1200GSA ;)

You're lusting after the wrong bike, F800GS is what you want if you plan to go off road. Several members of my Dual Sport club have BMW R1200GSA's and either Suzuki's, KLR's, DL650s, or F650s. The 1200s are refered by there owners as 'The Pig' The 1200 is a great road bike. It will work as a graded dirt road bike, but get if off on a trail, and you will be cursing yourself. The F800GS is much more agile and capable. This will be my next Dual Sport unless Suzuki gets ABS on the DL1000.

Last edited:
My 2002 KLR. Spring time in central Alabama. Plastic ammo boxes were less than 8 bucks a piece and come in real handy.

Attachments

• smallKLR.JPG
    smallKLR.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 79
Well, here's my new-to-me dual sport.

I traded my XRL to dond for his NX250 and some $ so I could go to Montana and help with the search.

The little NX did a nice job of plonking along the edge of the road so I could look over drop-offs. It's also nice to be able to reach the ground (although I still miss the big pig!).

:D

ravensnx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom