Spot options

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
My Spot 2 is apparently no longer supported, so need another sat device.
Anyone have opinions on or experience of the options? Looks like the charge structure for Spot and Garmin are about the same so that's not in play.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have used an InReach for several years. Used to use a Spot but ditched it after too many issues.
The inReach runs on the Iridium satellite network (like many sat phones) and gives better coverage (supposedly) in the higher latitudes. Over the years, I have had little issue with the inReach other than it is a bit pricey here in the GWN.
The 2 way communication is a huge plus IMO.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I also have Inreach. The newtork is definitely superior to the SPOT network. Some newer SPOT devices do communicate similarly to the Inreach as far as texting. Having the ability to communicate via satellite texts makes these devices much more useful if you venture out into remote areas where cell coverage could be a problem.
The new InReach Mini 2 battery life is 14 days now and also has backtrack capability.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just checked. I have a Spot Gen3 and it works fairly well. On occasion it will miss some points when we are out in the hills for forested areas. But, I don't intend to change it any time soon.

I have tried to setup a "track" on Spotwalla but have not been successful. It is suppose to offer better tracking then the Spot site.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have tried to setup a "track" on Spotwalla but have not been successful. It is suppose to offer better tracking then the Spot site.
The Spotwalla site only records what is sent to it from the Garmin or Spot sites so it can do no better than that.
Sptowalla itself does not monitor the InReach or Spot devices themselves.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The Spotwalla site only records what is sent to it from the Garmin or Spot sites so it can do no better than that.
Sptowalla itself does not monitor the InReach or Spot devices themselves.
Yes, I thought I had set up the interface between Spotwalla and SPOT but no data ever got transferred. It had worked before but they (Spotwalla) made a change in how the site was "managed" and I had to signup again and then give them a small fee. My memory is that the Spotwalla data display was better. I will have to work on getting the interface between Spotwalla and Spot to work.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The Spotwalla site is great for sharing your track with family and friends, keeping track of individual rides, etc.
Jason has had to monetize it a bit and I am glad he did if it means it will still be around.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have used SPOT devices for 13 years all over the world with very few problems. I now use a SPOT Gen 4.

I have considered the InReach but do not see the extra cost for the text message service to be worthwhile. The "OK" message on the SPOT service I use on a daily basis while riding satisfies my family.

I rely on Jason's SpotWalla site extensively both for tracking and recording my rides. Here is 13 years of riding in North America. My SPOT worked fine even at the Arctic Circle where both the GlobalStar and Iridium networks start to lose coverage.

I also use SpotWalla to record our adventures. I upload GPX files from my handheld Garmin GPSMap 62s every day to the site. Not "real" time but still fun to share with family and friends. Here is our current adventure in the Orkney and Shetland islands off the north of Scotland.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
My Spot 2 is apparently no longer supported, so need another sat device.
Anyone have opinions on or experience of the options? Looks like the charge structure for Spot and Garmin are about the same so that's not in play.
I too have an old Spot 2. Were you given any advance notice that support was being dropped? Will the Spot 2 still permit auto tracking to be set up?

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
What is meant by 'no longer supported'?
The 'official' name of the Spot 2 is, I believe, 'Spot Satellite GPS Messenger'. At least the picture with that caption on the Supported Products Page looks like my Spot 2, which I just now successfully tested. :shrug1:
You are right! I guess that I missed the name change. My unit tested successfully.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have used SPOT devices for 13 years all over the world with very few problems
That is not an uncommon story. However, my experience (and several others) was different. It constantly missed pings and would for more than several hours (worst was 3 days!!). Hardly useful as a PLB! I suspected a defective unit but Spot was unwilling to do anything about it. That, more than anything, pushed me to go to the inReach. It has worked well for the last 7 years so I haven't "tested" Garmin's customer support.

OP
OP
kerbside
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
I too have an old Spot 2. Were you given any advance notice that support was being dropped? Will the Spot 2 still permit auto tracking to be set up?
The 'official' name of the Spot 2 is, I believe, 'Spot Satellite GPS Messenger'. At least the picture with that caption on the Supported Products Page looks like my Spot 2, which I just now successfully tested
On the Spot page no mention of the Spot Gen 2 only gen 3 and newer. models. Just assumed that spot 2 was now obsolete, but after looking again it looks as if it is the Spot Satellite GPS Messenger . Decided to not look at older Delorme garmin units incase garmin stop supporting those units in the near future.
I was on the verge of getting a garmin, but now in a quandary - keep the Spot or get a new unit.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
UP,
Here in the GWN we have even fewer options that you do in the US. I use the "recreational" plan that pings every 10 mins. I also opt for the plan that I can start and stop (for an annual fee). Expensive? Yes (about $2.00/ day of use), but cheap if you ever need it. Once I pay the bill, I try to forget it. There really is not anything else that does what I want so......it is like paying 50% more for motels/meals than a few years ago; just the cost of riding/touring.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
For those using the InReach, what plan are you using?
The 'cheap' plan looks reasonable til I saw the $.10 a 'track' and that confused me - looks like it could get expensive on a long trip.
I started using Inreach with InReach Mini 2 last month on the monthly recreation plan. $35.00 a month, turned it off when retuning, Turn it back on when heading out. I didn't use any text features this time but did use the weather once. Timed turning it on wrong this time for a week of testing to make sure. Had to roll into another month. Was worth the piece of mind though. I was never "off the map" (spotwalla) and has a nifty SOS button if ever needed. Mentally I will just amortize the cost over a year not a month.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
So do I understand correctly that the Garmin 'safety' plan (the cheapest one) dings you $.10 every ten minutes you use it?
Is that the reason y'all went with the 'recreation' plan?
As far as I understand it UP, you can decrease the frequency of pings. I am currently set at 30 min., the battery was dying under roof set at 10, outside it was not an issue. The front loaded bill to me is always less surprising than a rear loaded bill. It came down to a tank a gas a month...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So do I understand correctly that the Garmin 'safety' plan (the cheapest one) dings you $.10 every ten minutes you use it?
Is that the reason y'all went with the 'recreation' plan?
When I did the math, it was less expensive for me to use the plan.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Phil:

The below information is on the Garmin website.
From these statements my understanding is that the tracking feature is something that you can turn on or off as you wish. If you choose to use it there is a $0.10 charge every time that it sends your track and location information to whomever you have chosen to share this information with, or every time that they request a location check on your device. If these are not features that you want to use, it can be be left turned off and there is no charge as that particular service is not being used.

I don't find their explanations of the inReach features to be very clear however.

Tracking
Share your adventures by sending track points at preselected time intervals. Using the MapShare™ trip-sharing webpage, followers can see your progress, ping your device to see your GPS location and exchange messages during your trip.1

inReach Tracking
You can use the tracking feature on your inReach® Mini 2 device to record track points and transmit them over the Iridium® satellite network at the specified send interval. Track points appear on the Garmin Explore™ website and the MapShare™ tracking page.

Top Bottom