Spot options

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't find their explanations of the inReach features to be very clear however.
That was my problem after spending time on their site.
Even if you turned the 'ping' back to once every 30 minutes on the 'safety' plan, it could get really expensive on a 20 day trip that had some really long 'travel' days.
Also you can cover a lot of distance in 30 minutes (especially on the slab) and when they came looking for you it would be a long 'hunt' if you were not able to push the SOS button.
Looks like the 'recreational' plan is 'reality' for long trips and the 'safety' plan would be for short local ones if my math is any good.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
From the below, and other writings that I have seen, it is my understanding that the emergency response (SOS) feature and the capability to transmit tracks and location emails to people with whom you have chosen to share this information are two different features. The emergency response system (SOS feature) always works whether you are paying for the additional tracking feature or not.

What I haven't seen written anywhere is whether or not it will automatically send an SOS signal using crash detection software. It would be nice to know this because it isn't always going to be a situation where the user involved in an incident retains the ability to push the SOS button.

They have done a poor job in describing it's capabilities in my opinion.

I have read of several peole on this forum who use the Garmin inReach system. Certainly they would be able to tell us.

Like all inReach devices, a user can hit the SOS button in case of emergency that sends a distress signal to GEOS®, a 24/7 International Emergency Response Coordination Center. GEOS will track the device which triggered the SOS, notify the proper contacts, and send the necessary emergency responders to the exact location. GEOS will deliver a confirmation that help is on the way and also continually update the user on the status of the response team. GEOS will also reach out to the user’s emergency contact and alert them of the situation.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I could be wrong, but I do not see anywhere that the Inreach devices have crash detection software.
To me, that is why tracking at reasonably short intervals is so important.
IIRC, most motorcycle wrecks are single vehicle - and you figure if there is another driver involved there is a chance services will be notified.
IMHO, if you run off the road in a remote area and are out of sight (and it has happened) and are incapacitated, your only 'hope' is the tracking bread crumbs.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Referencing Zumo:
Your zūmo® device uses built-in sensors to detect a possible vehicle incident. If you set up an incident contact, the device can send an automated text message to that contact when it detects an incident and your vehicle stops moving.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The inReach does not have crash detection software. You have to push the button. This is what prompts many an argument about where to carry the device; on the bike or on your person. Pros and Cons for both.
From personal experience (daughter had to push the button) it works very well. Response literally within a few minutes. And you do not need the pings turned on for them to find you. The SOS button transmits your co-ordinates.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Using InReach Mini. @Uncle Phil , to answer your question, I am using the Recreation plan. I suspend the service in between trips though, and pick it back up before I leave again.
I ALWAYS carry it on my person.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Referencing Zumo:
Your zūmo® device uses built-in sensors to detect a possible vehicle incident. If you set up an incident contact, the device can send an automated text message to that contact when it detects an incident and your vehicle stops moving.
I got "vehicle incident" alarms on my Zumo XT every 5 minutes running some "spirited" stints on my XR up in the VA mountains a couple of weeks ago :rofl1:. So,,,,,I turned the "feature" off.

Top Bottom