ST Available Tires

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Can anyone link to the details of this, I just wore out a set of Avon Storm 2 Ultras on my 1100 and was planning on another set.
Mike, the Avons work fine on the 1100, they are still on the recommended list. It's the 1300 which has a problem.

But, I recommend the 160/70/17 Bridgestone 020f on the back. It's bias, it sticks good, it's relatively cheap, and it goes a long way. I've gotten as much as 15,000 from them. Whatever ya like on the front.

Bike
'93 ST1100
.. I have a '01 non-ABS that needs a new set, and find my choices dwindling.

(Currently Avon storm 2 ultra down to the wear bars on rear and shaking on the front at mid speeds with a loose grip)
Welcome to the wobble club.
Same thing with my Storm Ultra 2's, including the front tire wobble again.
Wobble also happened with prior original Storm front. Steering stem bearings and springs replaced.
Went with the BT023's front and rear yesterday, and wobble gone, just like most others that switched.
After only 200 miles, they feel much better than the Storms ever did.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Mike, I've been happy with the 023's after switching from the shaking Storms (it's the tires), and have been happy. Might try George's combo next..

STOC #
Guys (and gals),

Not starting a new thread on 'which is the best tyre', my problem is finding an on line supplier who will ship via an Army APO. The Oz dollar is strong and I have a mate who serves with me who is US Army and has kindly said I can get the hoops sent to him via his military mail (cheap freight). I have tried a couple of suppliers and while they will let me buy boots and jackets they will not send tyres (go figure).

Any sites you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Guys (and gals),

Not starting a new thread on 'which is the best tyre', my problem is finding an on line supplier who will ship via an Army APO. The Oz dollar is strong and I have a mate who serves with me who is US Army and has kindly said I can get the hoops sent to him via his military mail (cheap freight). I have tried a couple of suppliers and while they will let me buy boots and jackets they will not send tyres (go figure).

Any sites you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Give Tim (Two Brothers) a call, the site is http://www.discount-motorcycletires.com/home

Bike
03 ST1300
I am considering trying a set of the Continental (ContiRoad Attack 2) tires ... I have read good things about them. Although I loved the PR2's and would go back to them with no reservations ... I can not help but think/hope the PR3's would be even better, I am really leaning to the CRA2's ....

I phoned the good folks @ Sport Rider Mag, and they said as long as I was not posting for financial gain I could post these articles. I have scanned from April and May 2011. Maybe you will find them useful.

These are PDF files and the CRA2 is about 6megs. If you do not have a PDF reader, I suggest Foxit Reader ! It free and IMO better than the "other" readers. (No affiliation, I just like it) They have a Win version and Linux. Not sure about other OS. Link

ContiRoad Attack 2
PR3's

Tom

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Tom I ran a set of Road Attack 2 tires and liked them alot. From my experience, I consider them equal to the PR2s.

Bike
03 ST1300
Tom I ran a set of Road Attack 2 tires and liked them alot. From my experience, I consider them equal to the PR2s.
Thanks for the info John ! Thats great news ... Sounds like I cant go wrong either way !
Wondering tho ... In theory ? If in your opinion ... The Road Attack 2's are equal to the PR2's ! I cant help but wonder if the PR3's are better yet.

Just a thought.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just a note on Metzler. As it seems now , the Z6 is history in favor of the z6 Interact. I have had the Z6 on my bike for 5 yrs. Great handling in corner and rain, very sticky and confident. I have consistently gone 11.000 to 15,000 in miles. Eliminated
the shake that was present with the previous Avons. Enter the new Interact compound rubber. Had a flat and had to replace the Z6 on the rear. Immediate impression...not as stable. Does not seem as grippy. Wore out front and put the Interact on it.
I feel less confident with these than the originals. Riding in rain the other day and had to stop quick and bike went into slide. Did the same on an emergency brake also in dry weather, locked up and slide. Would never and did not never had happen with originals. Believe it is due to harder rubber in mid tread. I understand it is for greater consistency in tread wear across the whole and it does seem to wear more evenly...but I would rather have the better handling and braking. I have a 1999 St 1100 with 152,000 miles. Now I am trying to determine if the is a tire that will replace it and do as well as the Z6. The Z6 handled the weight of the bike well also.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
I don't have Lazertec's , but I do have Intreact on the rear & Marathon on the front.
I really like them they hold corners very well nice and stable.

Bike
ST1300
K, here's my story and I'm "sticking" to it.

So I read ALL the posts here (OK not ALL but a lot). I settled on the Metz' Z8 for my ST. I found out that ALL (this time I mean ALL) 120/70 18's are GONE, SOLD (diddley) OUT of EVERYWHERE! WILL NOT BE MAKING ANYMORE UNTIL A NEW TIRE is versioned PER METZELER!!!

The ONLY way you can find a 18 Z8 is by calling tire warehouses directly and asking them to visually check their stock and literally put their hands on a tire. I did this for 8 straight hours with NO LUCK!

You can STILL get the REAR tire (currently on back order but coming to the states in mid June) but what good is that, unless it's a replacement, or you have a bike other than a ST with a 17" front .

So for ANYONE interested in Metzeler's I WAS able to dig up NEW tires (in stock in a brick and motar store) through eBay. I was able to get the Z6, not the Z6 Interact just the older Z6. I also went up a size in the rear to: 180/55, I'll report back on how that worked out.

Peace!
Keep the rubber side down boys!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just in case any of you ride the St1100 and use Metzler, here is the latest from the horses mouth...

Hello

The Roadtec Z8 Interact range will expand in the coming months but it will probably not include the 160/70ZR17 size. While we still make this the Z6s for ST1100s we see a decreasing market as not many of these bikes are being ridden. We are hoping to get the Z6 tires back in the pipeline in the next 30 to 90 days. Thanks for the e-mail.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com

Hi Mellow, Just looking through some posts on wheels etc. Could you please tell me the front and rear axle diameters. Am intending to build a static tyre balancer and was wondering if I could use a snug fitting rod to run the wheels on. Also decided to hold off on PR3's and go for the 2's, your thoughts?
Cheers
John

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Well, I'm back to Conti's. After the OEM, i went for the recommended Metzler Z6/880 combo. Boy did the Z6 want to turn. Mileage was about 10,000 on the Z6 and 12,000 on the 880. I went to Continental Road Attacks because I'd had great tire mileage on this brand on another bike. They were nice and went 12,000 rear/14,000 front. Then i went for two sets of Michelin PR2s. Great mileage...I have no idea why some people get 8,000 or less...I have no cupping on the front and I just ordered Road Attack 2s from Two brothers. i had used SW Moto, but their prices were higher. Why Contis...brand loyalty. I talked to people in Germany to get them to produce the 18" ST size. Heck, I don't drag my pegs and one tire is as good as the next...China excepted.
PR2s have served me well. Is a Conti road Attack 2 better than a 1?. I will report...but you could grow old and die waiting. My next tires are probably in 2013. I joke that the wear indicators are patches of webbed steel or Kevlar fiber.
Southern California people. Poway motorcycles does a tire change for $ 25 if you bring them the tire.
Road Attack 2s vs. PR3s My mind goes with PR3s, but my heart is with Contis...we'll see. My wife wants to know why motorcycle tires are good for 12,000 and car tires are good for 40,000. i know, i know, size, speed, etc.

John

Hello everyone:
While I know tire preference can be contentious issue, I was wondering if anyone has comments on the Metzeler ME880 120/70zr18 (front) and 170/60r17 (rear) combo. I am looking more for long lasting and weight carrying ability over sheer performance.
Any information would be appreciated.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have not run the 880 but I think the only down side I have heard is they are not great in the wet. But then if they are a long runner you would expect to give up a little due to the hardness of the tire.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have run the 880 rear, accompanied by a Z6 front. The Z6 lasted over 10k miles and had great wear and traction. The rear 880 buzzed annoyingly at about half-life onward so I pulled it. I reinstalled it a year later to use it up.

The last day I tolerated that 880 rear tire, it was raining and I nearly dumped the bike at 35-40 mph--the back end came around like it was on ice. Fortunately the front stuck well. I scrapped that tire that very day, even though there was another couple thousand of tread life remaining.

Even in dry conditions, I could feel it (the rear 880) drift in the corners.

In my opinion, there are better options for the rear, such as the PR2.

Top Bottom