ST1100 cooling system maintenance ?

While I'm in there .New Timing belt installed this evening . One thing that I don't get is : Tightening the tensioner pulley .Clymer calls for cranking the engine 2 or 4 times _check marks -then moving it 3 teeth further - before tightening Tensioner Pulley bolt to 46nm . 3 teeth further, what is the point of that ?

DSC_0324.JPG
That is the procedure from OEM manual for tensioning a new belt, to get the correct tension. As you cranked it 4 times, you could feel the resistance for turning is different as the pistons go up and down, cams opening valves etc. I guess the 3-teeth thing aligns all internal components in a sweet spot, where the tension is most "correct" engineering wise. I was also wondering if it is the biggest, the weakest, or somewhere in the middle :) But that's just my theory.

I followed that when I swapped mine a month ago. So far it runs good (in the garage), will test out on the road in spring.

While I'm in there .New Timing belt installed this evening . One thing that I don't get is : Tightening the tensioner pulley .Clymer calls for cranking the engine 2 or 4 times _check marks -then moving it 3 teeth further - before tightening Tensioner Pulley bolt to 46nm . 3 teeth further, what is the point of that ?

DSC_0324.JPG
There are several Youtube videos on the ST1100 timing belt change. One shows how with the engine removed and on a benchtop. MUCH clearer demonstration of how all this is done. It includes the final adjustments. Watched it several times before doing mine.
An additional step I did was to verify the timing positions before loosening anything. Rotated the engine so the timing marks matched then highlighted with a white marker. Also checked valve clearance after the belt change.

I took her out for a test drive today , after the Big service . Every things is good. No leaks , ran like a champ. With the new thermostat, the temp needle is now steady at 12.00 oclock. Fan kicks in . It wasn't the warmest day , but behind the fairing and the heat off the bike , it was just cozy !
Thanks for all the help !
DSC_0372.JPG

Dunno if cozy has the same definition in Norway as it does here...., I've been following you thread and congratulations on getting it done.

R

Did my coolant change + flush a few weeks ago, just to make sure with you guys I put the right stuff in.. I used Mobil Antifreeze Advanced, pink in color.
This is what is says on the Mobile web page:

"Features and Benefits
Mobil Antifreeze Advanced Concentrate, gives outstanding protection against frost, corrosion and overheating for car, truck and bus engines of both ferrous and aluminium construction. The Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula offers excellent protection for aluminum engines. Mobil Antifreeze Advanced is a nitrite-, amine-, phosphate-, silicate- and borate- free antifreeze based on ethylene glycol, which must be diluted with water before use."

Did my coolant change + flush a few weeks ago, just to make sure with you guys I put the right stuff in.. I used Mobil Antifreeze Advanced, pink in color.
This is what is says on the Mobile web page:

"Features and Benefits
Mobil Antifreeze Advanced Concentrate, gives outstanding protection against frost, corrosion and overheating for car, truck and bus engines of both ferrous and aluminium construction. The Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula offers excellent protection for aluminum engines. Mobil Antifreeze Advanced is a nitrite-, amine-, phosphate-, silicate- and borate- free antifreeze based on ethylene glycol, which must be diluted with water before use."
You'll probably be ok. Most not all just use the Honda type 2 car antifreeze since its ingredients mirror the quart bottle of Honda motorcycle antifreeze. From what I understand most Asian car and motorcycle manufacturers want silicate free and 2 eha inhibitor free coolant.

Antifreeze , I had a few rounds trying to find some that i was confident to use. No Honda dealers around here . Alot of brands don't list what is and what isn't in it ( Silicate free ). But I found it.

Back
Top Bottom