ST1100 Tire Sizing

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I bought a pair of Continental RoadAttack 2's for my Nighthawk 750 before I bought the St1100. The NH takes 110/80-18 and 140-70-17, the front is the stock size, but I had to get a 150/70 for the rear.

The ST1100 uses the same size front, but I'm wondering whether the rear is too narrow for the 1100, which takes a 160/70. Many have opted for 170/60 rears, as the stock size apparently isn't easy to find.

So, that's the question: should I keep these tires for the NH, and get tires more suited for the 1100's weight? Many here have recommended the GT version of some tires that are designed for heavier bikes.

Get the proper size rear. Bridgestone T31 is made in 160/70 I don't think it is a GT but the load rating is higher than the GT
I also liked the Metzeler Z6 but they wear out too fast

I bought a pair of Continental RoadAttack 2's for my Nighthawk 750 before I bought the St1100. The NH takes 110/80-18 and 140-70-17, the front is the stock size, but I had to get a 150/70 for the rear.

The ST1100 uses the same size front, but I'm wondering whether the rear is too narrow for the 1100, which takes a 160/70. Many have opted for 170/60 rears, as the stock size apparently isn't easy to find.

So, that's the question: should I keep these tires for the NH, and get tires more suited for the 1100's weight? Many here have recommended the GT version of some tires that are designed for heavier bikes.

Don't discount the Metzeler Z6 on solely the previous post. I've run Z6's, front and rear for the last 7, maybe 8 tire changes and always get about 25,000 km out of a rear, slightly more on the fronts.

I just checked their website and they do still produce the correct size rear tire and you can get the 110/80 -18 front in their Z8 tire.

Will a 120/70ZR-18 work on the front? I found it in both GT and non-GT versions.

Bridgestone T31 is made in 160/70 I don't think it is a GT but the load rating is higher than the GT
Are you suggesting that I avoid a GT version? I thought GT was better.

Will a 120/70ZR-18 work on the front? I found it in both GT and non-GT versions.

Yes, even though it is spec'd for the ABS model with a slightly wider wheel, I used that size on the front of mine two or three times, when the 110 size in my favourite tire was not available. No issues whatsoever, except your speedo will be off slightly.

Okay, so final opinions, please. I would like to order tires soon, so I can get them mounted/balanced before the Hancock trip:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/summer-ride-hancock-md-va-area.167089/

I have no trouble dis-mounting/re-mounting the wheels on my '96 Nighthawk 750 to take them to my local Honda shop to be mounted and balanced. Would there be much difficulty in doing it on the ST?

What's the final consensus on the best rear-end spline lube? I may buy some and ask the dealer to use mine instead of theirs if I have them do the entire job. I'll price the options tomorrow when they open.

Last edited:
Don't discount the Metzeler Z6 on solely the previous post. I've run Z6's, front and rear for the last 7, maybe 8 tire changes and always get about 25,000 km out of a rear, slightly more on the fronts.

I just checked their website and they do still produce the correct size rear tire and you can get the 110/80 -18 front in their Z8 tire.

The Z6 is a good tire, but mileage I get is about 10,000 km, not 25,000 km as Bush advises. Maybe roads in BC are paved with glass vs. roads in Ontario.

Yes, even though it is spec'd for the ABS model with a slightly wider wheel, I used that size on the front of mine two or three times, when the 110 size in my favourite tire was not available. No issues whatsoever, except your speedo will be off slightly.
That's no big deal. It reads high now, and I use a GPS anyway.

Smaller tire = faster wheel RPM at speed = read higher. Oh well.

I'm also looking at W-rated Conti RoadAttack 3's.

This question applies to any tire: If I go with a 170/60 because a 160/70 is not available, should I also go with a 120/70 on the front instead of the available 110/80? In other words, is it better to make similar substitutions to both ends, perhaps to maintain geometry a little better?

It seems you're over complicating things, to me anyway. There are good standard sized tyres available, why change, what are you trying to achieve? I like a quiet life and standard work just fine.
GT does not equal better, it equals the wrong spec tyre.
Just my two'penneth but keep life easy with right tyres for the right bike. All bikes (ST11's) seem a little different too with some likely to wobble and weave some not. If you upset the balance it will be an expensive PITA.
Upt'North.
Forgot, Moly is Loctite 51048.
Forgot again......if you did it on the previous bike you can do it on this one. I would also change the three O rings in the rear if not recently done.

Last edited:
Larry I have a set of Avon axiom storm tires on my st1300. I have @ 9000 miles on them and the rear is ready to be changed ( side walls worn). They replaced them with Spirit ST's . I ran 2 sets of Pirelli Angel GT's before these. I think the Avons are just as good as the Pirelli's I had but cheaper. Bike Bandit has them in your size for @ $256 a set.

A lot of engineering goes into selecting tires for a bike by the bike's manufacturer, not to mention into the tires themselves by the rubber guys. There is no question that you can mount tires of nearly the spec'ed size on your bike but you can expect even more variables than we see when using the suggested size, speed, and weight ratings. U'N (grin, if we call Uncle Phil, 'UP' I guess Upt'North just got a shortened appelation) hit the nail on the head. I too go with recommended tires. One fewer item to worry about.

What I copied to my own personal maintenance file is below in italics. U'N gave you another number for the same 8012 product. The second URL is for another suggested paste, but not as many of us use it.
ST1300 Moly Paste
Locktite 8012 is the way to go. See: Post 268 and a few later: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/th...-60-apparently-so.163897/page-14#post-2151829

https://www.tsmoly.com/anti-seize-lubricants-compounds-moly-paste-with-mossub2sub-p-84.html

I run BStone T31s - 120 on the front, 170/60 on the back if I can't get a 160/70.
The key is to look at the weight rating, especially on the back - whether it is a GT or not.
This is on my ABSII and standard machines. Decent mileage and good handling and reasonable price.
I've also replaced the standard front rim with a ABSII front rim and it fits the standard just fine.
But I don't get very good mileage of most radials as there seems to be a throttle problem with my ST1100s. :biggrin:

A lot of engineering goes into selecting tires for a bike by the bike's manufacturer, not to mention into the tires themselves by the rubber guys. There is no question that you can mount tires of nearly the spec'ed size on your bike but you can expect even more variables than we see when using the suggested size, speed, and weight ratings. U'N (grin, if we call Uncle Phil, 'UP' I guess Upt'North just got a shortened appelation) hit the nail on the head. I too go with recommended tires. One fewer item to worry about.

What I copied to my own personal maintenance file is below in italics. U'N gave you another number for the same 8012 product. The second URL is for another suggested paste, but not as many of us use it.
ST1300 Moly Paste
Locktite 8012 is the way to go. See: Post 268 and a few later: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/th...-60-apparently-so.163897/page-14#post-2151829

https://www.tsmoly.com/anti-seize-lubricants-compounds-moly-paste-with-mossub2sub-p-84.html
dont look too deep into the engineering honda put into the tires. Tires are always getting better and the oe tires usually fall by the wayside . If They engineer the bike and tires so well then why did this happen
Pan weave[edit]
Evidence indicates the ST1300 can exhibit a weave instability mode at high speed — known in the case of the ST1300 as Pan Weave.

In April 2007, subsequent to the death of a police motorcyclist riding a single seat ST1300, the emergency service version of the ST1300, a British coroner announced he would warn all Chief Constables in England and Wales of the "serious threat" to riders' lives posed by the ST1300 and the "catastrophic result" of the high speed weave.[18] Later safety checks resulted in one examiner sustaining several broken bones in a similar incident. UK police forces subsequently withdrew the ST1300 from police service;[19] London Ambulance Service continue to operate the ST1300.[20][21]

RiDE Magazine reported in October 2007 that a team replicated weave instability mode with a civilian Honda ST1300 — reproducing the instability at a speed of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) under certain loading conditions. The rider noticed a rear wheel maximum yaw of 11 degrees per second, described as "a consistent and alarming sideways movement." The editors named the behavior "Pan weave". The intent of the testing was not to determine the cause of the weave, but to confirm its existence. Also, the article reported that 43% of surveyed ST1300 owners had experienced the weave.[22]

Tires manufactures design tires differently and they might handle differently, it just depends on how you like your bike to handle and maybe you might not even notice the difference unless you were on a track. I have used many different tires and sizes on the same bike they might feel different at first ( maybe the old tires were flattened out) but after a while they all seemed to handle good . Mileage was a different story.

I myself prefer the Bridgestone OEM tires that came on my bike. Get 12 to 15 out the rear tire and about the same for the front. Good traction and control. And no cupping. Good from the day you put em on till they are worn out. As for the rear end my independent shop still has Honda Moly he uses. 19 years and all is good.

I myself prefer the Bridgestone OEM tires that came on my bike. Get 12 to 15 out the rear tire and about the same for the front. Good traction and control. And no cupping. Good from the day you put em on till they are worn out. As for the rear end my independent shop still has Honda Moly he uses. 19 years and all is good.
Can't comment on the mileage, different roads and all that but the T31's wear very evenly.
Upt'North.

Back
Top Bottom