Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

I concur with kinzer1.. really couldn't agree more (see post #78) !

The initiative pdfruth has shown should be applauded (and I think it is). What else could you ask for in a DIY project?

It really is the whole enchilada..

Hardware: the circuit design, parts list, location descriptions of the ST1300's connectors and wire colors.

Software: the programming knowledge and interfacing skills to read the various signals (including signal conditioning to appropriate PIC levels), formulating the signal relationships, and outputting the desired result (gear indication). And we now have customizable display intensity to boot.

Documentation: pd has described how (and why) it works, provided the schematic, and has posted the program listing with extensive comments throughout, and has invited others to improve upon it.

Heck, I think he said he'll even burn the program onto a user-provided PIC for the price of postage.

There are two things keeping me from doing this project right away: I've got my bike all torn down for winter maintenance and farkling (I just don't have the time to take on more farkles right now), and secondly, I'm holding back (this is just me, I have no info on this either way) because I'm kind of suspecting there *could* be even more innovations, features, improvements, etc. to this project as people start installing/using the GPI. In other words, I'm kind of being a late adopter.. but I WILL most definitely be doing this project in the next couple months (if not sooner).

Thanks again for your generosity.

p.s. A suggestion.. this whole thread should be moved to the Articles | Mods area.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A

I have to agree with post # 78 also. I've had gear indicators on other bikes ( R1150RT for example) and it was a very nice feature. I miss it on the ST, especially when in the lower gears in town traffic. If PDFRUTH ever markets his hard work, put me in line for one too!!

Old Vic :06biker:

STOC #

It was not really my intention to start a holy war here... but then I guess I left the door open, didn't I :)
I don't think the issue is whether the gear indicator has a good use. Personally I think your project is great and I hope you can somehow benefit financially, or at the very least, a nice learning experience in digital design. My point was to those who want this feature to be added into the standard factory package, which drives up the cost and complexity. I suppose the holy war occurs over what is defined as a reasonable feature for a standard motorcycle. I think that was already answered since gear indicators were somewhat prevalent on 80's bikes but disappeared from most models.

Fortunately, the modern motorcycle or any other mechanical component becomes more complex every year. This is part of the technological progresses we live in. This is a good thing. I wouldn’t want to ride an 80’s technology bike today (unless its an antique or some kind of a collectable). Part of the technological progress is what obviously makes things more complex. Although, the gear indicators were prevalent on the 80’s bikes, they have again appeared on the late model production motorcycles. This tells me that #1. the riders want them and #2. that some motorcycle companies are actually listening to their loyal customers.

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

I have the Digi indicator installed in-dash and simply love it.

With twin motors where one can hear the revs, it is easy to know by sound AND feel where the motor is, powerwise.

But our ST is so smooth and vibrationless, one dosen't know where the engine is, powerwise, without watching the tach or having an indicator.

I was able to do my project myself, although I learned alot along the way, the one in this thread is way over my head. P.D. has knowledge I envy.

With velcro attachment the Digi is a simple 5-wire hook-up, practically anybody can do, the 6th wire is the calibration lead. I actually exchanged the 1" number display that came with the Digi, for a .4" unit and installed it in the dash, which complicated my project. But it now looks 'factory' by being the same size as the factory numbers in the dash.

Replacing the photo cell with a 2.2K ohm resistor puts the display to full bright and easy to read in any lighting conditions.

:04biker: :)

Last edited:
Bike
still deciding
STOC #

Since I'm going to attempt to build this sucker I have been trying to buy all the parts. Radio Shack didn't have many of the items so I ended up buying online. I found a great place out of California that seems to have virtually anything needed and at great prices. An example is 10 ea 10K resistors for 50?, 15 ea 1N4148 for 99?, 5V regulator for 50?. I bought the project box and PC board at Rat Shack, but all of the electronic components came to $11.09+$7 shipping. I ordered the parts Online Friday, and they arrived today Monday. Great price and quick shipping all I can say is WOW. Here is where I bought them:

https://www.allelectronics.com/index.html

Phil

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Here's another great place to get discrete components;
http://www.jameco.com
I buy from them all the time. Decent prices, great service, fast shipping.

And of course, anytime I'm in SoCal or Dallas (for work), I have to make a stop at Fry's :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I've moved this to the Articles section.. .VERY good info. here, thanks for providing it in such a complete way. Bravo.

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

the gear indicators were prevalent on the 80?s bikes, they have again appeared on the late model production bikes.
Yep, along with Old Vic's R-series, my co-worker's new K-bike has a GPI too, including the CAN-bus wiring harness (if you wanna talk complexity).

Thanks for moving the thread here Mellow. I think it was getting a little buried in the General section (found it on the fourth page a couple days ago). pdfruth kinda hinted that the Moderators put it somewhere appropriate in his first post on this subject.

Happy New Year - all you ST peeps!! :D

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Ok, I rented some time on a laser cutter today.
Made a bunch of the piece-parts to make the little red display enclosures. They are a glove-fit for the kingbright 0.8" seven segment LED displays.

For those who are building their own unit, and want to do a remote display (as opposed to in-dash)... if you're having a tough time coming up with a display enclosure, I'm selling these for $2 ea. All you gotta do is glue it together and slide your display inside.

There is a pilot hole on one end for the wire/cable exit. You'll have to drill it out to the proper size for your specific cable. Be very careful drilling this stuff. It cracks easily. Go slow, and don't let it get hot.

The back has the pin hole for access to the "learn" button.

Each end piece has a small "B" etched on the bottom edge. Orient the "B" to the back/bottom (the side with the pin hole).

To glue it together, I like to use "Plumbing GOOP". I found it at WalMart. Easy to work with. Fast setting. Waterproof. And strong. I tried to get one of the enclosures apart (to install the ambient light sensor), and I had to break it to get it opened up. But, CA (superglue), or clear silicon (tube & tile caulk), should work too.

Send me a PM if you want one.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

I thought the learn switch was mounted in the PC board box :confused: :confused:

The learn button can really be mounted anywhere you want.
I chose to mount mine (pictured below) on the back of the display, for easy access.
But, I see no reason why it can't be on the PC board in the black box, or anywhere else for that matter.
It all comes down to convenience. In reality, you'll probably only need access to it during initial install & setup. So, where you mount it, and how easy it is to access, is up to you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
still deciding
STOC #

I've been thinking I wouldn't have a hole for the switch as I planned to do the learn process and then close the cover of the box.

Phil

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

This is exactly what I had in mind but I didnt realize you could get those signals from the bike! I am an electrical engineer (just out of college) and I have an old nighthawk that has a gpi and I miss it (especially becuase Im used to counting to 6 when shifting) I will absolutely build one of these up and perhaps use an AVR chip I hear they are a bit better and I have only used PICs myself so Ill kill two birds with one stone here. absolutely awesome work! man after my own heart for sure

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

The learn button can really be mounted anywhere you want. I chose to mount mine (pictured below) on the back of the display, for easy access.
So, the photo-cell is not installed in the seven-segment display box. I assume it *could* be, if the box had a clear plastic section on the lid.

Otherwise, the photo-cell could prolly be mounted inside it's own weather-proof (clear-lidded) box/housing (somewhere out in the open). This second box would also be an ideal place for the learn button, for one-handed teaching - one finger for the button, and the rest of the hand to shade the photo-cell (as desired).

Or thirdly, you could put the display and the photo-cell in the gauge-cluster like the other fellow did in the earlier photo(s). But then there's the learn button to add somewhere. Oh, the choices :?:

And a big :yes: on the laser-cut pieces! $2 is a REALLY NICE PRICE for this. Thanks pd!

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #

This is just a great thread. You don't see stuff like this on other forums. Pat, did you ever think your post would generate this kind of enthusiasm?

John

Bike
still deciding
STOC #

Yes Pat, Thanks a bunch for your work. It's much appreciated.

Even If I'm not successful in building this thing I'm having fun. I'm surprised in the difficulty I'm having soldering on this small scale stuff. Combination of eyes getting weaker and shaky old hands. Also I'm having to take my time and think where to mount components to reduce the amount of connections on the PC board. Probably over 30 years since I've done any circuit work and it was of course all discrete transistors and larger parts. I remember when some of the first IC's started showing up. The earliest I remember was four Nand gates on a chip.

Phil

Phil

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

I'm surprised in the difficulty I'm having soldering on this small scale stuff. Combination of eyes getting weaker and shaky old hands.
When I did my project I bought a Bausch & Lomb Magna Visor (head band magnifier). http://www.bizrate.com/learningtoys/oid633693620__nwylf--.html W/O that I could not have done it, period.

:04biker:

Top Bottom