Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Bike
'04 ST1300
I have a newer model splitter. It has jumpers for both VSS and sensitivity. I cut the C8 diode out. Didn't read this entire post. Would this also cause a problem?

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I have a newer model splitter. It has jumpers for both VSS and sensitivity. I cut the C8 diode out. Didn't read this entire post. Would this also cause a problem?
I have no idea. Others seem to have a better understanding of exactly what the #8 does on the new unit. Since it is done I would just try it like that. There was a post a while ago that suggested replacing it with a smaller one. If it doesn't work as is I would try that.

Bike
'04 ST1300
Jeff -
Good advice. I've only had a chance to test it at 50 and below. I read on an earlier post that it smoothed at higher speeds. I'm going to put her back together for the ride home. I'll have a chance to give it a good workout then.

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll let you know how it all works.

Bike
'04 ST1300
Most of the problems were caused by removing the C8 capacitor. I installed a new capacitor and the cruise is working 98%. It is very nice.

There are two issues I'm having:
1) the throttle input is harsh or abrupt. This could be a lot smoother
2) when going down hill the cruise will surge like its trying to find the best speed.

The current settings on the VSS splitter are:
pulse divider set to - divide by 2
gain sensitivity - set on highest

Bike
'04 ST1300
I called Centrodyne and they gave me the capacitor info - The capacitor is a ceramic type - 0.1?f, 50volts, 10%. ?f= Microfarads

They are great to work with and very helpful.

Bike
'05 ST1300
Most of the problems were caused by removing the C8 capacitor. I installed a new capacitor and the cruise is working 98%. It is very nice.

There are two issues I'm having:
1) the throttle input is harsh or abrupt. This could be a lot smoother
2) when going down hill the cruise will surge like its trying to find the best speed.

The current settings on the VSS splitter are:
pulse divider set to - divide by 2
gain sensitivity - set on highest
I set my pulse divider to divide by 4 and it smoothed out considerably. Pretty close to perfect but not quite. Tried to change the gain setting but it did not seem to make any difference.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I set my pulse divider to divide by 4 and it smoothed out considerably. Pretty close to perfect but not quite. Tried to change the gain setting but it did not seem to make any difference.
When you set the Centrodyne to divide by 4, did you also set the CC unit to 19,800? I also have an issue with surging, but only going down hill slower than 65mph. It doesn't take much throttle to maintain speed going down hill and it seems like the CC unit aplies enough throttle so that you exceed the set speed and then closes the throttle completely, the bike slows below the set speed, and the CC unit applies throttle, the bike slowly accelerates past the set speed and the CC unit completely closes throttle again, over and over until I hit level ground.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
IIRC, I tried setting it to divide by 4 and it was really smooth, but didn't hold the speed very well.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
but didn't hold the speed very well.
Yeah, that is what a few others have said. I may play around with gain on the CC unit to see if that helps. It also takes several seconds from the time I set the cruise until the time it takes over, but once I have set the initial speed after turning it on, it resumes and resets within an acceptable timeframe most of the time.

The gain on the Centrodyne only affects the strength of the pulse signal. If you have jumpers for gain, then leave C8 alone.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Yeah, that is what a few others have said. I may play around with gain on the CC unit to see if that helps. It also takes several seconds from the time I set the cruise until the time it takes over, but once I have set the initial speed after turning it on, it resumes and resets within an acceptable timeframe most of the time.

The gain on the Centrodyne only affects the strength of the pulse signal. If you have jumpers for gain, then leave C8 alone.
what gain do you have the controller at. I am using a factory rostra pulse divider /4 I have gain at low-medium and my speed varies 2mph up or down I am also using the electronic servo VS pneumatic servo good luck

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I'm pretty sure I set the gain on high.
oh and I have my pulses / miles at at 22k setting ur gain on high will cause a lot of surges and letoffs on hills. on my 05st I didn't have much luck with the centrodyne divider, that is why this time I bought a pulse divider from rostra in the divide by4 model. no capacitors to cut no pins to remove or move just power leads and in/out leads I now have 22k on my bike this year and I am extremely satisfied with performance

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I wouldn't mind trying the Rostra divider. Mine is really jerky anywhere under 60mph. How is the Rostra divider setup at lower speeds?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I wouldn't mind trying the Rostra divider. Mine is really jerky anywhere under 60mph. How is the Rostra divider setup at lower speeds?
I don't use mine at any speed less than 55 so I would not know. I don't know if its a combination of the electronic servo and the rostra controller and the fact of when I made my adapter to fit the throttle body to cc cable I made it a long as possible so that the cc module would have the most leverage. all in all this setup works better on my 07 that the way I had setup on my 05

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I just installed a Rostra unit with the help of Sennister and TD1911. I am using a factory Rostra pulse divider /4. I set the Gain to Extra Low and the Pulses to 16090 and everything is smooth as silk for now. I'll post more after Moonshine and my SS1000.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Interesting setup. How did you determine those settings? I have the Rostra divider but haven't installed it yet.

Top Bottom