Stock battery life

STOC #
I have an 05 with around 32K miles and the original battery. I don't bother to trickle charge the battery when the bike is sitting in the garage, just start the bike and go. Even when I'm using one of the other bikes I start the ST at least once a week and run it for a few minutes.
As far as I can tell the original battery is doing just fine, but I'm heading out soon on a 10 day trip and I'm starting to worry about just how good a shape the battery is in.
I know there are a lot of variables determining battery life, but is 4 years + unusual for a stock battery?
I thought about just replacing the battery before the trip, but hate to waste a good battery.
TKIA
Howard

It is really anybodys guess, IMHO. I have seen new batteries off the shelf be bad. If it was me I think 4 good years of use is all to ask for and I would replace it. If you know someone that has a battery load tester they could give it a test to see if it is still up to par if you wanted.

Sonny

It sounds like it's had a good life and no reason to suspect it will fail "suddenly". Most should deteriorate gradually, but a load test will confirm. Most batteries should last about 5 years, but ST batteries are small and are more stressed...... your call.
I went on a 10 day trip in 100+ temperatures 3000 miles from home, and had to get a boost twice. I knew it was deteriorating before I left.... ooops. Replaced it when I got home. On another trip for a weekend, I had a battery fail and went to Walmart. Charged the new one overnight, and it's still going well. One of us in our group will always carry a charger. ST sizes are a little harder to find though.

My battery lasted just over 5 years, 52k, bike lives outdoors whether the temps are in the teens or hundred and teens. The battery will give you some warning before it decides to check out on ya....

All kinds of things effect battery life. Heat and state of charge being important. If you leave the key on or otherwise drain it a few times, service life will be reduced DAMHIK. The 1300 battery is on the edge ok for starting but 10min with the head light on and your'e looking for a jump. If it's cranking ok you are probably ok. In general it's not a good idea to start the bike periodicly and run it for a few minutes. +1 on a 2nd key, you will need it if you do need a jump.

I'm at 5 years, 2 months on mine on my '04's. Never trickled charged but has been jumped from a car battery a few times. Last time I started it was after about three weeks of it sitting - started immediately.
Got to tell you this story.
A friend has an 06 FJR. After he had ridden it for about a year he went on a ride with another friend and was on his 94 Concours. When asked why he wasn't on the Yamaha he said he had it on the charger. Asked if the battery had run down he said no. I haven't told him that the bikes charging system is the better way of keeping the charge up as it was designed specifically for that battery and that a charger is generic.
Don't get me wrong. A trickle charge is ok when you don't ride the bike for long periods and a full charge is needed when you don't want to jump it from a car.

Last edited:
Just got my bike out of the shop for her 40K service. The maintenance tech said they fully charged the battery but it only had 15% health left in it. he said for $100 they would install a new one.
1) How can they tell how much "health" a battery has left?
2) Is $100 about the right price for an ST battery?
3) Is there an aftermarket battery that others have used and found satisfactory?

Just got my bike out of the shop for her 40K service. The maintenance tech said they fully charged the battery but it only had 15% health left in it. he said for $100 they would install a new one.
1) How can they tell how much "health" a battery has left?
2) Is $100 about the right price for an ST battery?
3) Is there an aftermarket battery that others have used and found satisfactory?

Sounds like they did a load test. 100 sounds like its not an oem yuasa.
If there replacement is not 230cca but 190 its not oem strength.
They should charge it after the load test LOL.

If its cranking strong I wouldn't change it. You will find out how much is left in colder weather. If it starts to struggle then I'd change it. If its not cranking strong now same thing.

BTW there's a difference between a battery tender and a trickle charger.
One like the battery tender plus will give it a proper charge and maintain it.
Don't be fooled by its size. 1.75 amps is more than enough to charge it.

Sounds like they did a load test. 100 sounds like its not an oem yuasa.
If there replacement is not 230cca but 190 its not oem strength.
They should charge it after the load test LOL.

If its cranking strong I wouldn't change it. You will find out how much is left in colder weather. If it starts to struggle then I'd change it. If its not cranking strong now same thing.

BTW there's a difference between a battery tender and a trickle charger.
One like the battery tender plus will give it a proper charge and maintain it.
Don't be fooled by its size. 1.75 amps is more than enough to charge it.

Thanks, it is cranking normally and I do use a battery tender if it is going to sit for a week. I use the bike for everyday back and forth to work (26 miles round trip) so it doesn't see the tender very often. Weekend RTEs are occational and weekend trips have been rare lately. I think I'll risk a few more months before purchasing another one.
Again - thanks for the reply.

I bought my 06 in April of 06. Almost 26k miles. I keep it on a tender in the winter when its parked for the season, but I ride to work everyday spring to fall and haven't had any trouble. Starts quickly.

I did however have trouble twice now. On my trip to WI and back thru Ontario we stopped to check my gps for hotels. I forgot to shut the key off, so between normal lights and my fog lights, 10 mins later or so my buddy had to push start me. Wouldn't turn over, just clicked. Ran it for 30 miles or so after and was fine. Today I took it to the dealer to check the sidestand switch. I can't start it in gear with stand up, only starts in nuetral. While he was testing it, cranked it over and over, left key on during failed starts, etc. Only about 5-10 minutes max. Fog lights still on. No start, but he push started me and I took a 40 mile ride. Stopped for gas and it started right up again.

Seems like the batteries just don't have much reserve, so from now on theres no fooling around with the key on unless I'm on the tender.

Dean

Yup 10mins it's toast. The tender on, still no fooling with the key LOL.
It's not enough to run the lights.

So the dealer killed the battery. Nice.:rolleyes:

After reading all of this thread I have to agree that if your battery is approaching 5 years old and your taking a long trip I'd most definitely replace it. Our ST's battery is not a popular size and finding one in a pinch could prove to be difficult. My battery lasted just a little more then 5 years and it's always on a tender in my garage. Since my bike is strictly used for pleasure use I ran my battery until it died last week. I ended up ordering a Scorpion brand from www.batterystuff.com to replace the OEM since many here seem to think it works pretty well. Only time will tell. Batterystuff got my battery here in FL from OR in less then 3 days. Very pleased!

Yup 10mins it's toast. The tender on, still no fooling with the key LOL.
It's not enough to run the lights.

So the dealer killed the battery. Nice.:rolleyes:

To be honest, I was kinda expecting it. I turned the fog lights off, but was too late. At least he didn't want money for the bump start! He also ordered my sidestand switch under warranty. (at least I hope the extended warranty covers it) :confused:

Dean

I got five years on my original Yuasa, and it was still going. But I had run it down a few times and could tell it was a little weak. So I just prophylactically replaced it a couple months ago. I didn't want to get stranded in the boonies with a dead battery!

I have a 04, 75k miles. It is slowly fading, and this winter should finally do it in. The rear tire was bald so I was riding the RT for 3 weeks. I had to charge the battery to crank it. But now that I can ride it most everyday it is doing ok.

I'm lucky enough to live in a place I can ride year round, and that helps prlong battery life. I think Uncle Phil had a battery last 7 years?

All kinds of things effect battery life. Heat and state of charge being important. If you leave the key on or otherwise drain it a few times, service life will be reduced DAMHIK. The 1300 battery is on the edge ok for starting but 10min with the head light on and your'e looking for a jump. If it's cranking ok you are probably ok. In general it's not a good idea to start the bike periodicly and run it for a few minutes. +1 on a 2nd key, you will need it if you do need a jump.

Hey All. I was wondering; why is it that the battery will drain to a point it won't start the bike if the headlight is left on for a few minutes? I had Yuasa check mine at Americade and they said it was fine but while in GA, the guy who put the LED directionals in the mirror left my key on for about 6-7 minutes and the bike wouldn't start. What Gives???

Back
Top Bottom