Stock battery life

Hey All. I was wondering; why is it that the battery will drain to a point it won't start the bike if the headlight is left on for a few minutes? I had Yuasa check mine at Americade and they said it was fine but while in GA, the guy who put the LED directionals in the mirror left my key on for about 6-7 minutes and the bike wouldn't start. What Gives???

Thats the capacity of the battery, if you wanted more time you would need a larger battery.

The oem is rated at 230cca and 11.2 AmpHours. You could google the exact details but basically you are looking at 2 different ratings. Cold Cranking Amps is the current the battery can supply for a VERY brief period of time at cold temps when the battery is not able to provide as much current. IOW starting the bike under bad conditions.

The second number is the capacity of the battery to provide current under light load conditions for a longer period of time. More or less 1.2 amps for 10 hours until the battery is exhausted. This is not a linear relationship. The battery would not deliver 11.2amps for 1 hours. It would be derated. The higher the load the worse it gets.

You wouldn't want to drain the battery to that point it's designed as a starting battery.
(High current short period of time) A battery that provides power over time is constructed differently, called a house or deep cycle battery. The trade off is it can't provide the high current for short periods of time but can stand up to the abuse of draining the battery better.

You can't compare it to a car as a car battery is MUCH larger but the load of 2 headlights and tail lights is similar to a motorcycle load with the engine off.

I just ordered a replacement battery, Scorpion from BatteryPlus. I didn't use my bike over Labor Day weekend. Used it on Friday evening ride home from work, parked for the weekend, went to start Tues. morning and WHRR, WHrr, whrr, CLICK, CLick, click, brrp, (silence here). After a few recent incidents of leaving the key on too long (for the battery) and running it down. Too easily in my opinion, but either way a replacement is on its way. I'm dissapointed it didn't last longer with the use of a tender over the winter, but my Seadoo pwc only gets 2 seasons so hopefully thats the only problem. So life was 3 yrs 5 mos. since purchase, but who knows how long it sat around before that. It could've been a leftover from those slooower early models :D. I can't complain too much as I still have the original battery in my 01 F150 that will be 9 yrs old in November. (We now know I've jinxed myself and will be replacing that one tomorrow :( )
At least I got my new heated grip switch in and my hands were warm this morning at 45 degrees, brrr, I hate the thought of winter.

Later - Dean

I have an 03 with the original battery (~35K miles). It's just now showing signs of needing to be replaced. Thanks to Kreis I have an easy way to charge/jump start. Had to charge it the other week. I guess I'll get another battery soon as I don't trust it much anymore.

Please let me dovetail on a battery thread here, but if any North Central Texas folks need an ST-13 battery, PM at me.:07biker:

I still have the original battery in my '05 with 65.5K on the odometer. The only time I have had an issue was when my alternator died last December. The battery went dead from me riding it, when I got it home, I put it on the battery tender and it has been fine ever since. :hat1:

My brother, who has about ~36K on his 05 had to replace his battery about 4 to 6 months ago. He was riding 60+ miles a day fairly consistantly up until he was laid off back in January or February. Then his bike just sat for a month or two. Not sure if he had it on the battery tender, but he usually did, even over night. :(

When Tim (Two brothers) offered the Yuasa @ $148 delivered a few weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and pick one up with the idea mine would probably go south on me at the wrong time. So it is sitting on my shelf right now and I figure in November or December, I'll be ripping the bike apart for some heavy maintenance, so I might replace it then. :tools1:

I'm at 5 years also, 34,000 miles with a battery tender most of the time. Sometimes I won't connect it if I know I'll be riding the next day. I usually only get to ride on Sundays.

Thats the capacity of the battery, if you wanted more time you would need a larger battery.

The oem is rated at 230cca and 11.2 AmpHours. You could google the exact details but basically you are looking at 2 different ratings. Cold Cranking Amps is the current the battery can supply for a VERY brief period of time at cold temps when the battery is not able to provide as much current. IOW starting the bike under bad conditions.

The second number is the capacity of the battery to provide current under light load conditions for a longer period of time. More or less 1.2 amps for 10 hours until the battery is exhausted. This is not a linear relationship. The battery would not deliver 11.2amps for 1 hours. It would be derated. The higher the load the worse it gets.

You wouldn't want to drain the battery to that point it's designed as a starting battery.
(High current short period of time) A battery that provides power over time is constructed differently, called a house or deep cycle battery. The trade off is it can't provide the high current for short periods of time but can stand up to the abuse of draining the battery better.

You can't compare it to a car as a car battery is MUCH larger but the load of 2 headlights and tail lights is similar to a motorcycle load with the engine off.

Sorry to just be responding to your post. THANK YOU so much for the insight. I now understand the bottom line.

I had a clone Yuasa in the ST11 when I bought it. It lasted another 4 years and 40,000kms, surviving complete discharging a few times as I had not wired up the heated grips properly. A better battery should last a lot longer.

Back
Top Bottom