The Paulcb coldest ride of Winter 2022-2023

So, my 15 mile ride this morning to meet our breakfast bunch, started out at 29F, I saw a low of 26F - but most of the ride was at 27F and ended at 31F. So how do I count my temperature?
Is it the lowest temp seen during the 15 miles? Or an average? Or?
Judges? What is my ruling?
By the way - I had heated gear -socks, pants and jacket liner under my new R3 Light Aerostich suit, as well as seat and grips. needless to say - I didn't get cold.

20221017_195456.jpg

So, my 15 mile ride this morning to meet our breakfast bunch, started out at 29F, I saw a low of 26F - but most of the ride was at 27F and ended at 31F. So how do I count my temperature?
Is it the lowest temp seen during the 15 miles? Or an average? Or?
Judges? What is my ruling?
By the way - I had heated gear -socks, pants and jacket liner under my new R3 Light Aerostich suit, as well as seat and grips. needless to say - I didn't get cold.

20221017_195456.jpg

Lowest temp you see while riding during your 15 mile (or more) ride

I'll go with that.
I can imagine that most who report here just don't say if the temp they experienced was only the lowest for a few miles of the ride, with slightly higher temps for other miles along the way, or if that is the temp for the entire ride. But the big thing to me is that no ride in these conditions stays at just one temp the entire way around. And there is really no obvious way to determine an average. So if you saw a low temp, report that.

It's 27 out tonight. The hot tub is 99. Took it out for a 40 minute run. I did have to be bike out to this afternoon on about it a hour run. It was 37. As riding season comes to an end a new one opens.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_212648.jpg
    IMG_20200905_212648.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Obo
It's 27 out tonight. The hot tub is 99. Took it out for a 40 minute run. I did have to be bike out to this afternoon on about it a hour run. It was 37. As riding season comes to an end a new one opens.

You likely could have run it up to 100 if the red and blues didn't catch up with you. Well that and it appears you flooded it in the process.

That's a bit of an assumption as yes we do get cold here, but not always colder than places in the US. Plus the snow & ice prevent us from riding more than the cold temps do, and once that crap comes it usually stays around (along with all the road grit that makes riding treacherous until May-ish.) The folks in Quebec also can't ride due to a mandatory snow tire requirement, and it's very hard to find snow rated tires for your MC. Proof in the pudding as it were is I don't think there's ever been a Canadian in top place. (I did make 5th one year.)
You need that sweet spot of decent roads and a cold snap.

:)
I totally agree. When I first started commuting to the south of Seattle, we had a cold snap without snow. I commuted for two days at 16F before the weather warmed up and the moisture came back.

Chris

Pop me down (or up) for 30F this morning on the commute in.

It's decided I need to break out the winter gloves. The burning backs of the fingers even before I got to work are a tell-tale sign.

Also had to watch for the ice. Luckily it was all clearly visible.

1668514222889.png

Black ice usually doesn't show up until the pavement surface temp drops to freezing. That means the ground temp underneath is also near that temp. Around the metro in my area today the air temp right now is 31 F, the underground temp is still 41 F at 18" deep, and the pavement surface temp is about 36 F. That would indicate to me that there will not likely be any black ice yet, though there will be visible ice in places where it isn't melting on the surface. Bridges are different in that bridge deck temps follow the same as ambient temps due to having air circulating under them. We have mostly concrete for the road surfaces and usually even black ice can be seen. Looks like wet areas on concrete. If the concrete looks wet but the air and surface temp is below freezing I know that's not water but ice. But it is invisible on black top asphalt... thus the name.

Temps aside I always park the bike once they start laying down brine and/or salt, which they did around here 2 - 3 days ago in anticipation of below freezing temps and precipitation. Today we had a mix of snow and rain. So Tracer will get its last clean and oil/filter change on the weekend and that's it until March or so. I've got lots of things planned for the next 4+ months to keep me busy.

Some really cold temps coming up at home during this next 5-6 days. One morning is supposed to be down to +10 F but that will be at 2 AM so I won't be going for a ride during that time. We had 2.5 inches of the white stuff fall over yesterday and the day before so will be a few days before I can get out anyway... about the time the temps go back up to just over freezing again.

Would have been a good morning to get on the board this morning. Woke up to 22 degrees.

In my area a record was set for a low at 18 F for this date. Previous low record of 24 F was set in 1880 on this date. It warmed up to 24 F after that and dropped again to 20 F at 8 am. Expecting 16 F at 3 am tonight but I won't be awake for it. Y'all are welcome to come on over to Iowa to experience riding at those temps but it will be many weeks before we see those temps again. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I was surprised on today's ride that they had salted here too, apparently last night. Had to ride around lines of it on every hill.

I was surprised on today's ride that they had salted here too, apparently last night. Had to ride around lines of it on every hill.

We have a mix here of sand, salt (or some combination of the two), salt brine and/or beet juice. Beet juice is a diluted concentrate, slightly red in color and is better for the environment while working as well as salt brine. Guess it's hard to beat that.

We usually get a treatment of magnesium chloride mixed with beet juice. The beet juice is what keeps it on the road so it doesn't wash off when stuff melts. Magnesium chloride is also less corrosive than salt or salt brine and it also keeps working about 20 deg lower than those.

Back
Top Bottom