They don't make batteries like they used to...

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
My Yuasa battery died a quick death when I tried to start my ST1300 today for the first time this season. It's not even 5 years old yet and I keep them on a tender during the winter months? It showed full charge when on the tender, no signs of failing. Then when trying to start the bike today, it turned over real slow once, then click click. I boosted it and it fired right up easily. I held my voltmeter on the battery when trying to start the bike and it went down to 5 volts?

The first one lasted 8 years and that's common for me around here. Not impressed with this latest one I got online from Sask Battery in Saskatchewan Canada.

I found a few OEM Yuasa replacements locally. One for $240 plus tax at a motorcycle shop and one for $190 plus tax at The Battery House. Amazon.ca wants $250 plus tax. Why so freaking expensive?

Picking one up tomorrow....

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
My Yuasa battery died a quick death when I tried to start my ST1300 today for the first time this season. It's not even 5 years old yet and I keep them on a tender during the winter months? It showed full charge when on the tender, no signs of failing. Then when trying to start the bike today, it turned over real slow once, then click click. I boosted it and it fired right up easily. I held my voltmeter on the battery when trying to start the bike and it went down to 5 volts?

The first one lasted 8 years and that's common for me around here. Not impressed with this latest one I got online from Sask Battery in Saskatchewan Canada.

I found a few OEM Yuasa replacements locally. One for $240 plus tax at a motorcycle shop and one for $190 plus tax at The Battery House. Amazon.ca wants $250 plus tax. Why so freaking expensive?

$240... was that Bourque, Motoplex or Toys??

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
$240... was that Bourque, Motoplex or Toys??
GBourques..... I have rarely found Toys or Motoplex even worth the bother to call for batteries and most other things. You've sparked my interest though. I may call tomorrow just to see how extremely high they sell them for. :)
GBourques always has good prices except this time, for batteries.
Even Fortnine wants $225.99 plus tax.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm not convinced that keeping a battery on a tender constantly is a good Idea.
Some have put them on timers to have intermittent charge cycles.
I agree. I never leave them on the whole time during hibernation. Usually 2 weeks on the tender, then a week off. I have always heard though that a battery, when on a tender, doesn't create sulphation so that's a good thing. A battery that gets used a lot will last longer than one with less use.
I wonder why some batteries seem to be invincible, then others with the same look, not so much?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder why some batteries seem to be invincible, then others with the same look, not so much?
Same reason some light bulbs, cars, appliances, and people last longer than others. Minor differences when they were put together.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
My Yuasa battery died a quick death when I tried to start my ST1300 today for the first time this season. It's not even 5 years old yet and I keep them on a tender during the winter months?
I have been taking the cheap guy approach on batteries. And I find that the $90.cdn CTC battery only last 2 years before their reliability is suspect. They used to last longer. I keep them on a smart tender all the time, when not traveling. The surface charge from being on the tender,, always spins the engine faster, than it does turn over on the road. That all points to a weaker battery design,, in every respect, imho,,, CAt'

Bike
2000 ST1100
Neighbor across the street had one go bad from last year when he bought it new. A no name brand battery.

STOC #
I've raised this issue before. Over 20 years, the lead/acid batteries have consistently been more reliable than AGM batteries. Using battery tenders did not make any difference. I'm now at a point where I not only change out my AGM after 4 years regardless of condition, I carry a spare on long trips. I don't know if this is due to a reduction of quality, or because AGM just are not that robust.

Edit: Before asking me why I don't use lead/acid in my 1300 instead of AGM. I've not found one that can fit in the compact space.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Do you have an Interstate Batteries distributor/seller anywhere near you? For my ST1100 over 24 years I've had two Yuasas, 7 years each, and two Interstates, one 7 years, the other still in the bike now at 3 years old. Different battery for the 1300, but might be worth a try looking into Interstate if they're an option where you live. I don't recall the exact price I paid for the last one, but it was in the $90-95 range as I recall.

Bike
2006 ST1300
You get what you pay for.
I have to disagree. I buy ( almost exclusively) the El Cheapo brand batteries....mostly Scorpion, and lately, ChromeBattery.com AGM batteries. My last ST1300 battery was 34.90USD. Yes, you read that right. $34.90. It is now almost 4 years old, and I expect to get a few more years out of it ( knocking wood right now). I got 7 years out of my last battery in it, a Scorpion. In fact, I am still using that Scorpion on the bench for powering up or testing farkles.
I do use a BatteryMinder on all my batteries, and have it on a timer. It claims to de-sulphate the batteries after bringing them to a full charge- I cannot confirm that, but it seems to do a good job on them.

Bike
VStrom 650
Don't keep the tender on permanently? Couldn't agree more.
Price in the UK for Yuasa is between £65 and £100 depending where you buy it from and if you go for standard or heavy duty, I actually think they're getting cheaper here.
Now if they just make Scotch cheaper were sorted.
Upt'North.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Define tender though, trickle charger or intelligent monitor. I have mine on an Optimate and have for many years when expected to be off road for a while. Albeit, it is now shared between the two bikes, primarily on the outfit as it gets used much less than the solo. My batteries have generally lasted between 5 and 8 years. The last one on the outfit went on in 2012 and still seems to be OK.

Bike
VStrom 650
Define tender though, trickle charger or intelligent monitor. I have mine on an Optimate and have for many years when expected to be off road for a while. Albeit, it is now shared between the two bikes, primarily on the outfit as it gets used much less than the solo. My batteries have generally lasted between 5 and 8 years. The last one on the outfit went on in 2012 and still seems to be OK.
Flexi.......
Mine is on an Optimate too, can't remember the model. I only switch it on every two weeks or so through the down period. I just try to simulate normal (for me) use. It usually takes 30 minutes or so to go fully green and I probably leave it on for about 3 or 4 hours. This seems to work OK. Famous last words.
I follow this routine because of past experience where batteries have failed when left connected, but if it works, it works.
I know the BeaST won't start now, but as it's presently snowing I won't find out just yet.
Ray.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Price in the UK for Yuasa is between £65 and £100 depending where you buy it from and if you go for standard or heavy duty, I actually think they're getting cheaper here.
Now if they just make Scotch cheaper were sorted.
I'm a big fan of "you get what you pay for."

I have a battery booster, cost more than 3 Yuasa batteries, charges by USB and apparently a full charge will charge my phone 3,000 times over. I once stumbled across a chap on a 1200 bandit at a petrol station that was happy I had it.

I've replaced the battery on the 13 once in the time I've owned it, I forget how much it cost. I don't have a winter lay over, the Kies gear keeps me warm enough, so I don't keep the cars or bike on a tender/monitor/optimate. I had to replace the car battery this last winter too... first one in 6 years. £350 for that. :eek:

STOC #

save yourself some money Pars Canada CTZ14S Battery

save yourself some money. Parts Canada ctz14s (230cca) battery $100. Lasts 5 yrs

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Do you have an Interstate Batteries distributor/seller anywhere near you? For my ST1100 over 24 years I've had two Yuasas, 7 years each, and two Interstates, one 7 years, the other still in the bike now at 3 years old. Different battery for the 1300, but might be worth a try looking into Interstate if they're an option where you live. I don't recall the exact price I paid for the last one, but it was in the $90-95 range as I recall.
We do have a local interstate battery store that I drive by all the time. I've checked the price a few times and wow! They aren't cheap. I hear good things about them though, but as long as there is a Costco near me , I'll buy what ever battery they sell and accept the very easy return policy and very good warranty. :)
They weren't open today , but I will get a price from them next week, just to see.

Top Bottom