They don't make batteries like they used to...

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
save yourself some money Pars Canada CTZ14S Battery

save yourself some money. Parts Canada ctz14s (230cca) battery $100. Lasts 5 yrs
Thanks for the heads up. Bought one today at the battery house though. Yuasa $190 plus tax. Next time maybe....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Made a purchase today at the battery house as said above. $190 plus tax. The owner served me and said this was a genuine Yuasa battery just like I had. Motocross makes Yuasa he said.
He also said the best thing for a battery when not in use, is to keep it on a tender. Makes you wonder if that helps or hurts because he only makes money when they fail? :) I wonder if the more advanced tenders work better than my older types?
Bike fired up quickly, lots of juice. Hopefully I'm good for another 5 years at least!

Attachments

Reactions: Obo
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
We do have a local interstate battery store that I drive by all the time. I've checked the price a few times and wow! They aren't cheap. I hear good things about them though, but as long as there is a Costco near me , I'll buy what ever battery they sell and accept the very easy return policy and very good warranty. :)
They weren't open today , but I will get a price from them next week, just to see.
I think I remember hearing before that the battery for the 1300 is smaller than the 1100, and also more expensive, that could also explain the cost difference from what I paid.

edit: I pulled out my receipt and damn, I only paid $75.95 for a CYTX14-BS Interstate in June of last year. That also means I got 23 years out of the first 3 batteries, so almost 8 years each.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
More like Yuasa makes Motocross isn't it?
Yeah maybe......one or the other :)

Yuasa (pronounced "You-Aw-Sah") is almost a household name when it comes to motorcycle batteries. ... Believe it or not, Motocross is manufactured in the same factory, the same assembly process, at the same time as the Yuasa. The only difference is the label applied at the end of the manufacturing process.Apr. 11, 2012

From Yuasa FAQ

How long should a battery last?
Many factors affect the life of a battery:
  • Climate: Colder climates tend to be hard on batteries from a starting standpoint, and for the fact that many people put their bikes away for the season when not using. Sometimes without charging properly. Hotter climates tend to discharge batteries quicker, and dry out batteries quicker. “Average” climates are the best for long battery life.
  • Usage: A battery that is used every day has the most chance of living a long life. Batteries that sit a lot, many times are neglected. This shortens overall life. Periodic charging is the best defense.
  • Application: How well is the battery charged in the vehicle? Some vehicles have better charging systems than others. Older bikes have worse charging systems than new ones. Are there a lot of extra accessories on your vehicle? Sometimes a battery has a hard time keeping up with additional electrical drains, thus wearing it out quicker.
Negative Factors:
  • Sulfation: A build up of crystals on the plates of a battery. This comes from not charging a battery properly. The more sulfation that builds up, the harder the battery is to charge, until finally it does not charge at all.
  • Water Loss: Can come from overcharging, or just simple evaporation over time. This only happens with conventional batteries. This does not happen with sealed AGM batteries. Once the plates of a battery are left open to the air, above the fluid level, they can corrode very quickly. Corrosion can cause an internal short, and very quickly destroy the battery. Keeping proper water levels maintained is very important.
  • Lack of Charging: As mentioned previously, lack of proper charging is the main reason that a battery will not last as long as it should. At the very minimum, a battery should be charged once a month if left unused.
  • Complete Drain: Have you ever left your key on, and totally killed the battery? If recovered in a short time period, the battery should charge back to 100%. But every time this happens, it is similar to the battery having a “heart attack”, and shortening its overall life. Always turn your vehicle off with the keyed ignition switch, not the “kill switch”.
Better Battery Choice:
  • AGM: Sealed AGM batteries typically last 3 to 5 years on average. 6 to 8 years is easily obtainable with proper maintenance. Typically sealed AGM batteries will give warning before completely dying. They will start slower, and require more charging. This is your clue to replace the battery. Typically they do not fail all of a sudden.
  • Conventional: Conventional “acid-filled” batteries have a harder life, for many of the reasons listed above. Conventional batteries typically only last 2 to 3 years on average. Although, 4 to 5 years is possible, in the best environments, and with excellent maintenance.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
From Yuasa FAQ

Better Battery Choice:
  • AGM: Sealed AGM batteries typically last 3 to 5 years on average. 6 to 8 years is easily obtainable with proper maintenance. Typically sealed AGM batteries will give warning before completely dying. They will start slower, and require more charging. This is your clue to replace the battery. Typically they do not fail all of a sudden.
  • Conventional: Conventional “acid-filled” batteries have a harder life, for many of the reasons listed above. Conventional batteries typically only last 2 to 3 years on average. Although, 4 to 5 years is possible, in the best environments, and with excellent maintenance.
I believe this statement.....BUT, my batteries death was not typical then.

I had no issues at all last season. I put it on a tender most of the winter, not off a tender for more than a week at a time. The one and only sign that something was wrong was when I first started charging it with my tender, I think it started to flash red? Then it wasn't fully charged after a few hours? Took it off the tender and let it sit for 24 hours. After that it charged quickly every time.
The voltage was a little over 14 while charging and above 12 when off. Once it had a load on it while trying to start the bike, it quickly sunk to below 6 volts. I think it turned the engine over 2 times and very very slowly. I have a cheap load tester and it did show slightly weak, but I didn't think it was toast after 4.5 years.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Got a few more prices on new Yuasa batteries today. Still have sticker shock for such a tiny battery!

Yuasa from the my Honda dealership - $316 plus tax
Through Parts Canada from Honda - $279 " "
Atlantic Motoplex - Yamaha/Polaris - $299 " "
Gbourques -Kawasaki - $239 " "
Battery House - $190 " " the winner
Interstate Battery - Yuasa battery - $210 " "
Canadian Energy - $101 " " ??

The Honda dealership clerk told me about this place called Canadian Energy here in Moncton NB. I've never heard of them. They are a direct buyer from the manufacturer just like the Battery House. I called them and they said retail was $140 but would sell for $101 plus tax. I asked if the batteries were new and he said yes. I told him the battery part number twice also. It sounds like they are a reconditioned battery because of the price, but he said no. He sounded like a young clerk, maybe he wasn't quoting me the right battery? I may go see this place in the next few weeks just to see if I paid double the price at the battery house. :(

Anyone else in Canada hear of this place?

Bike
VStrom 650
Just gone to the BeaST today, first start up for 6 months.
It's been on the occasional charge routine as previously described.
2 prods without the choke.
Then 2 prods with the choke and she started right up
The battery sounded full of beans.
Upt'North :hat3:.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Got a few more prices on new Yuasa batteries today. Still have sticker shock for such a tiny battery!

Yuasa from the my Honda dealership - $316 plus tax
Through Parts Canada from Honda - $279 " "
Atlantic Motoplex - Yamaha/Polaris - $299 " "
Gbourques -Kawasaki - $239 " "
Battery House - $190 " " the winner
Interstate Battery - Yuasa battery - $210 " "
Canadian Energy - $101 " " ??

The Honda dealership clerk told me about this place called Canadian Energy here in Moncton NB. I've never heard of them. They are a direct buyer from the manufacturer just like the Battery House. I called them and they said retail was $140 but would sell for $101 plus tax. I asked if the batteries were new and he said yes. I told him the battery part number twice also. It sounds like they are a reconditioned battery because of the price, but he said no. He sounded like a young clerk, maybe he wasn't quoting me the right battery? I may go see this place in the next few weeks just to see if I paid double the price at the battery house. :(

Never heard of Canadian Energy. They do seem to be into a lot of energy solutions from the website and have 19 locations across Canada.

I think I have a sold by Battery House sticker on the battery in my Kawi.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have bought 3-4 batteries from Canadian Energy (they used to go by another name which escapes me ATM). The $100 price rings a bell. One died at less than a year old. Broken "buss bar" internally. It tested good a couple of times on the bench, then failed. They replaced it, no charge. Other than that, I have not had any issues. They don't seem to last any longer/shorter (except as mentioned) than Yuasa. I changeout batteries every few years as a regular maintenance item. Saves having to push start/jump in the middle of nowhere. It has been my experience that the battery in the bikes goes from good to bad very quickly.

STOC #
From Yuasa FAQ

I call BS on both. I've never had an AGM last more than 4 years and most only 3. While they don't die instantaneously, they don't die slowly. After hearing a weak start, I won't get another one.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I call BS on both. I've never had an AGM last more than 4 years and most only 3. While they don't die instantaneously, they don't die slowly. After hearing a weak start, I won't get another one.
maybe climate has something to do with it. I've owned my ST1100 for 24 years and got 23 years out of the first 3 batteries, its now on its 4th, which was installed last June. So I've averaged 7-8 years on all 3 of my previous batteries.

Regarding the rate of dying, my last one started the bike normally before going to work, no symptoms at all, and was stone dead after arriving at work 30 minutes later after shutting off the bike. That was the first AGM that I've had die on me like that, but back in the early '80s I had a regular wet cell do the exact same thing.

Bike
2005 VFR800
Yep, I agree, and they charge twice as much for junk! Leave they set for a while and they fail. I'm need to build me a small 14.4v lithium battery pack with couple 400 nfd capacitors for back up. These new bikes do no push start like the old ones.

Bike
2003 ST1300A

cheap one here if needed in Canada
I stick with the yuasa brand personally.
I charge monthly during off season with high quality charger, not a fan of leaving them on all the time

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

cheap one here if needed in Canada
I stick with the yuasa brand personally.
I charge monthly during off season with high quality charger, not a fan of leaving them on all the time
Those batteries look like "replacement" battery for a Yuasa and not a real OEM Yuasa. Am I reading that right?

Top Bottom