Thoughts on a 919?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I've found a couple more red ones, but they're pretty far and 1 and almost 2k over bluebook, respectfully. I offered 3500 on the cheaper one, which is $300 under bluebook asking price, on a bike with 19k miles and no valve clearance check. The owner is firm at 4100.

There are two nice speed triples near me. An 09 with 5k, $6k, and a 15 with 1k for $8k. If I can't get into a 919 for around book value, I think I might spring for a SIII. I think it would be comfier than my supersport Buell, but wouldn't solve my hooligan problem...

Keep looking for the one you want.

My '03 back in May of '07:

DSC00080(1).JPG

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm traveling 250 miles tomorrow morning to go get a red '07! I sure hope it works out, because it's costing me $150 in gas and a personal day at work! Thanks for the support guys. I'll update tomorrow.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Is that the *new* 919?
Cool.
Looks like YOU have a *new* baby of your own!
Congratulations.
Tell us about it. With pictures, of course...

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Just got it unloaded. Not perfect, but a very nice '07 with 12k miles, in the right color, for a good price. I'll give it a wax and an oil change tomorrow. IMG_20210701_205432490.jpgIMG_20210701_205142555.jpg

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
You know, I was never particularly fond of red bikes until I got the ST, but the Candy Glory Red is particularly striking in person. I feel like a red Honda is just right, too. Hopefully I get to ride today! Weather looks poor, and I have some dad obligations.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Welp, I rode 5 miles to warm it up, changed the oil and filter, removed the 50+ acorns from the air filter, washed and waxed, cleaned and lubed the chain, and went for a ride. I like the bike a lot. It's a little buzzy at certain RPMs compared to the st or my departed Buell, but not offensive. Very lightweight feeling and comfortable. I couldn't help but feeling that it didn't feel "naked" with the windscreen on there, so I took it off when I got home.

I decided to cut through town and see what was going on, which I realized while doing it means this was the right bike. It's easy going, comfy, and maneuverable. My Buell was amazing at knee dragging, but actually quite awkward at in town speeds. I only rode it to go too fast, where the hornet has the same cheery disposition as the st1300. It encouraged me to potter around and sightsee, where I wouldn't have on the Firebolt.

The 919 fuels perfectly, better than the ST13. There is no drive line lash. Handling is super light, which is a bit of an adjustment for me from either the Buell or 1300. At high speeds it's very nice, but under 40 or so it likes to fall in a little.
*The bike came wearing a 60% tread or so pilot power 3 front, and an almost new pilot road 4 rear, however they are 9 years old. I suspect some of the falling in is from the SS front tire. I don't know if I will be able to trust decade old tires, so I'll probably end up spooning on a set of new ones. (road 5? T31? Roadtecs?) Tire prices seem to be up 50% from last year.

The bike has a kind of tall first gear, and a kind of short sixth. It's not really problematic, as it will start easily without throttle in 1st, right off a 1000 rpm idle. The st will idle along at three or so mph in 1st, where the cb gets up to about six or seven. The 919 runs 1000rpm or so higher at any given speed in top gear. It also has strong roll on performance. It will roll up a lot of speed, even in sixth. I never got leaned way over, because I'm a little suspicious of the old tires. I've never had a stability issue with my ST 1300, even up to 140 or so mph indicated, but the 919 feels inherently more stable at high speeds. (I try to keep it well under the triple digits).

I tried to keep both tires on the ground, but the 919 will definitely wheelie first on throttle, and will do the same in second over bumps and dips.

Only maybe 25 or 30 miles so far, but no regrets.

I'll update when I get a few more miles on. Very happy so far. Also, bought it from a nice guy, for a good price ($3,600 with 12k miles, pretty fair I think).

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the update; I was actually going to ask if you would share what you paid for it.
The wheelie-ness is what I remember my friend telling us about it; he said it was like a rheostat. He was also a road racer and a coach for Keith Code's track classes, so you know he was, ah..., relatively skilled.
EDIT: I would think the acorns point to chipmunks, as opposed to rats / mice. I hope they didn't get interested in the wiring.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Surprisingly, it ran great with the air filter full too. And it was full, when I took the side cover off to check it (glad I did), they poured out. Good filter though, the airbox (engine side of the filter) was spotless, not even dust. Condition wise, the bike is near pristine, with the exception of some paint wear in the crotch area of the tank, a scratch on the left side of the tank, and a dime sized nick on the left side of the tank with maybe a 1/16" depression. The rest of the bike is nice enough that I'm going to bring it to my body/paint guy and have him correct it. I'm happy for the price I paid. The old oil was very light, and the crush washer was clearly virgin last time. The engine was very clean, even in the unusual places like under the intake and up around the headers where you can't easily see.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Rode about 50 miles today, a "soft Irish day" in Central New York, grey and misty. Normally an ST day for the weather protection, but had to put some miles on the new steed.

I much prefer it without the windshield (except the weather protection would have been nice in the rain). The bike is much quieter and smoother without the screen, I think a lot of the audible vibes were resonating through the shield. My average speed was probably down 25mph with the shield off, which suits my riding mission much better.

Even on decade old tires and wet, choppy roads, the bike is supremely easy to ride. The ergos, fuelling, and attitude of the 919 are very reassuring and "homey."

I ordered some Bridgestone T32s, which should be here in a week. (Rocky mtn ATV, 250 shipped right now fyi) I was going to get road 5s but love the 31s on my ST, and couldn't pass up the great deal on the 32s.

Also, the bike is less vibey than I initially reported. It definitely buzzes between 4k and 5k, however is very smoothe above that. I found it was easy to not sit right at those RPMs. With the shield on, it wanted to cruise 75-80 in the buzz zone, but properly naked, it's very content 55-65 and very smoothe as well.

If someone else finds themselves considering a 919, I can say that I'm smitten. Five years ago I would have wished that it was a speed triple or Monster 1100, (and I still love those bikes), but it is a fantastic motorcycle and has very broad appeal. I have a feeling that once I have rubber instead of plastic tires, it will be as fast as anyone should be on the street too.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A Canada-spec Blackbird would look good in that mix, in the appropriate red livery.
That color was not offered stateside.
Don't know whether that beast would fit within your riding missions, just saying it would look GOOD in your stable.
I enjoyed mine and will have another, in time.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hmm, definitely appeals. I had a 2005 ZX12R that was quite the terror, and actually a fantastic motorcycle too with a tall double bubble and some heli-bars. But it was trouble. The gps registered 189 once on that sucker. If I get another Honda to fill in that pair, it would be...

I don't see a glaring omission in the pair I have.

But I bet I'll have a goldwing some day, when I actually have time to take a longer trip. Then again, I think if I shelled out for a Russell saddle, a riser, and maybe a vented shield for my 1300... I don't know if I'd need a Wing. But I've never ridden a Wing. I think the most appealing one (to me) would be a nice full touring 1500.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Still enjoying the 919. Question for those of you that have them or did, is it typical for the temp to stay just above the C while riding?

The bike will warm up to the middle of the operating range if you idle it long enough, the fans will kick on and it stays right in the middle. When riding however, the needle crawls above the C, to the very bottom of the acceptable range. Maybe 10% if C is 0 and H is 100.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or if I have an issue? Same thing yesterday and today, whether raining sideways and 60°, or sunny and 75.

Thanks!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Still enjoying the 919. Question for those of you that have them or did, is it typical for the temp to stay just above the C while riding?

The bike will warm up to the middle of the operating range if you idle it long enough, the fans will kick on and it stays right in the middle. When riding however, the needle crawls above the C, to the very bottom of the acceptable range. Maybe 10% if C is 0 and H is 100.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or if I have an issue? Same thing yesterday and today, whether raining sideways and 60°, or sunny and 75.

Thanks!
The gauge reading is normal as both of mine exhibit the same behavior. I have gone through the Michelin PR series 2 through 5 and have experienced good traction wet or dry on the '03. I did try two sets of Pilot Power 2CT's on the '06 and ended up with a puncture on both rears(coincidence?).

See you over on: https://www.wristtwisters.com/

Doc

My '06 upon pick-up back in 2010:

The Rig.jpg

Top Bottom