Thoughts on a 919?

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Ah, sweet bike. Alas, I'm looking to avoid hooligan. I'm quite enjoying the 919. Do miss the Buell, but glad I made the swap. I miss the thumpy twin, and the very high quality suspension.

Lizard, thanks for the info. I don't mind the feeling of the pr4 on the back, however I'm not thrilled with the Pilot power 2ct on the front (caveat being they're both 9 years old and the PP is maybe half worn. You can distinctly see the middle band.

I got 43 mpg on my 170 mile ride. Fuel light started to flicker at 156.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Depending upon your riding style, the low fuel light usually comes on @ 167 miles for me unless I am "hammering it" with the crew and it has been stretched to 203 on one rare occasion. My ST is reserved for mile munching on long trips while the "niners" do local and short long weekend tours. I feel these two bikes provide the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I did wrap the speedo needle pretty far around a couple times for science... Also filled on the sidestand. I can fill the st vertical no prob, no leaks, but I've had bikes that if filled on the center stand, would gush fuel if you put them on the side stand after. Do you fill yours vertical or on the kickstand?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I always fill while the 1300 is on the centerstand, as I am at the pumps 2 - 3x / week, sometimes more.
My regular job is only 10 miles one-way, but I also contract for a couple restaurant chains, covering 16 stores in the upper half of my state, so a 300- mile day is not unheard of.
I can honestly state that I've never seen overflow, and I go absolutely to the top. My gas tank cap and the rubber washer are in good shape, and I try to keep the area very clean.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Either I run enough out getting home after filling up, or the tank bag covers enough tank area that it doesn't get that hot, or I always park in the shade, or we have magic gas in Alabama (doubtful), or I'm not filling as full as I think I am.
Or maybe some combination of all the above?
What I can honestly state, as before, is I never lose fuel due to expansion on THIS bike.
I know where the overflow tube is, and I have never seen ANY fuel under my bike, nor likewise any fuel stains under it after parking.
I understand what you're saying, however, because I've had it happen on other bikes in the past, and I know it gets hot here in Bama, too.
Like it is now.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I did wrap the speedo needle pretty far around a couple times for science... Also filled on the sidestand. I can fill the st vertical no prob, no leaks, but I've had bikes that if filled on the center stand, would gush fuel if you put them on the side stand after. Do you fill yours vertical or on the kickstand?
This depends upon whether I dismount and then park it or sit astride if I refuel and leave the station.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Just to update, the 919 is a fabulous bike. Very confidence inspiring, very electric-torquey, and very easy going. It really flows down a twisty road well. I mounted T32s and it drastically improved the bike. Put about 130 miles on them today, some wet and some dry, and I'd say I only have 3mm or so left on the edges. I actually tapped the edge of my boots down a couple times, not realizing I was cranked over so far. I suspect you'd be dragging the pegs pretty good to use the last couple mm of tire.

If you ever have a chance to pick one up for a good price, it's a great bike. Might have to start saving up for a Penske or Ohlins, I'd say the weakest link is the rear shock over sharp bumps like frost heaves...

Also, I was concerned that it might be a bit ponderous or heavy feeling compared to a 599 or similar. Having never ridden the small hornet, I can say that the 919 is plenty nimble and airy. You'd be coming off a supermoto or similar if you thought a 919 was too bulky and slow to change directions. (I have read that about it sporadically, at least in comparison to other bikes. It flicks side to side easier than my Buell, although it does have less cornering clearance.)

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I set the sag to about 30% of travel front and rear, which was about all of the front adjustment in and step 6/7 on the shock. The bike rides noticably better, and fits my long legs better too. It handles like it's on rails now, about as good as the Buell despite not having the fancy suspension bits. It's a much more natural handler than the Buell was. I wouldn't have expected adding preload to the rear to have taken as much bite out of sharp bumps as it did, but it really helped.

I guess this thread has reached its conclusion. Thanks for the input and following along, guys.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well, this thread aged well. As much as I liked the 919, I found that it ended up being the bike that I rode too fast (you guys were right). I generally preferred the ST13 unless it was very warm out, or I wanted to play sport bike. I recently picked up a Sportster, and I find that I ride it about 50% slower than the hornet (no surprise there). I could see keeping three bikes if I was retired, but as it is I don't ride enough. Sold the CB900 to a kid from Utica last night. Sad to see it loaded up, but the guy was excited and I think he will enjoy it.

I would still recommend a 919 though, it was a very pretty, comfortable, and capable bike with no outright flaws.

Pros:
Honda quality, fit and finish
Simple (No SMC, all maintenance super easy)
Fast
Very nimble
Good ergos, although legs a little cramped compared to a big bike. (Felt like a cruiser coming off of a sport bike though)
Great power through the rev range, good stock exhaust note
Very quiet, smoothe air

Cons:
Ride quality, especially rear, was lacking. Suspension control over sharp bumps pretty jarring.
Shift quality and controls felt a step behind the best bikes I've owned. Certainly not bad, but not as good as my ST, my old kz650, or the newer HD products (surprisingly)
The buzz between 4 and 5k. Not terrible. It would be no problem if it was your only bike, but coming off of the glass smooth ST or the thumpy but not tingly HD, the first few minutes on the 919 I always said "wow this thing really buzzes" in my helmet.
More awkward at walking speed than the ST13. 1st gear/clutch out speed a little fast for my liking

Great bike, but I'm a bike ho I guess. Keeping with my reasonable trajectory, I'm sure my next bike will be a goldwing, an Electra glide, or a zx14r.

Top Bottom