Tiger 800 and 800XC

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Have had the chance to ride both several times and am completely in love/lust. The XC fits me better ergonomically. I also prefer the concept of the XC for a second and adventure bike.

While the street version handles a little better on the street, (turns better) the XC does great too. Both bikes pretty much ride themselves. They go anywhere you ask them. Rode the 1050 also, it has more power but nowhere near the fun factor of the 800s.

I don't think these are going to be easy to get for a while. Everyone who got off one was all smiles. Most preferred the XC and the 800 to the 1050. I think Triumph has a real winner. I really want one, badly. Trying to figure that out now.

Anyone else ridden one?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I did a test ride on a TiggerXC today. The usual caveats, i.e. unfamiliar bike, not my bike, not broken in, add unfamiliar roads.

Comfortable. Wind protection was surprisingly good, as in almost as good as my ST with the shield down. Since I rode to the dealership in mesh gear, and took the testride in mesh, I'd say I got a pretty good sense of the wind protection. Just a bit more on the legs, but not much. No helmet buffeting even up to 75+. Coming off the ST, the bars felt wide. The grips were small and hard, I would definitely change them out. I'm using Grip Puppies now on the ST, so that's my comparo. The seat is good. Adjusted "low" I was completely flat footed, at "high" I was on the balls of both feet, or I could shift my weight just a bit and flat foot one foot. Because the bike is substantially lighter than an ST, it's much easier to dynamically balance.

The hand controls/switchgear weren't quite adjusted correctly for me, so they didn't feel right.

Power. Had enough for what I wanted to do on the test ride. The bike was running higher rpms at 70mph in 6th gear than the ST runs at the same speed in 5th. The different gearing/engine character would take a bit of getting used to, but other than spinning higher than expected, power delivery was great.

Tranny. Superb. Better than my ST. Smoooooth and light clutch, no clunking, etc.

Clocks. Love having a gear indicator, once I figured out what that was. I much prefer analog dials for both the tach and speedo. sigh... I didn't have any trouble seeing any of the indicators.

Mirrors. Great. Wide bars give the engineers opportunity for wide mirrors, and they took it. Probably better mirrors than the ST, as they are higher and set wider, making them harder to obscure with pillon knees, wide duffles on the pillon seat, etc.

Handling, sweet and light. I didn't do any canyon carving or the like, but did do some low speed manuevering, which it handled with aplomb and an ever so British stiff upper lip. A few freeway point to the gap, gas and shoots went off without any drama as well.

Appearance - looks good, but looked better in pictures to me, but that's usually the way it works with me. Unlike the V-Rod, the Tiger 800XC still looks good. V-Rod moved to the bleh list once I saw it in person.

'Tis still neck and neck with a Bonnie as contender to be my next bike. The Bonnie is the Master of Mellow, tried, true, and bulletproof, plus has an awesome ability to hold its value. The Tiger 800XC is much more versatile, and the ergos are actually better for me by virtue of greater seat to peg distance.

Tomorrow, I'm going to test ride the F800GS, Bonnie SE and possibly the Tiger 800XC again. I'll let ya know how Round Two scores out.

And no, no pics, sorry. All I have is a low-end cell phone camera, so I don't bother usually.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I bought an 800 today, nice bike, good mannered, nice linear torque.
Roadie or XC? I'm totally jealous, in a nice way. I still want the XC even thought the roadie handles on the street better and has the tubeless tires. I already have a pretty good street bike.:) I'll probably wait until they get a few kinks worked out and the demand ($) cools off a little. Maybe not. BTW the kinks so far have been minor. Awesome!

Tomorrow, I'm going to test ride the F800GS, Bonnie SE and possibly the Tiger 800XC again. I'll let ya know how Round Two scores out.
Please do report a comparison to the F800. I sat on one and didn't like it as well even though I wouldn't turn one down.

Bike
ST1300 '06
Please do report a comparison to the F800. I sat on one and didn't like it as well even though I wouldn't turn one down.[/QUOTE]

When I first test rode the bike a fellow with a fg800 rode the xc and said the xc was MUCH nicer than the fg, more power better torque, better suspension, more comfortable.

STOC #
I rode two differen 800's at bikeweek. Loved the XC.. Smooooooooooooooth rider. Wish it had adjustable suspension and NON TUBE tires... I liked it better than the Yamamamma xt1200.. Did I say it was smooth...........

mitch

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I'm in serious heat, and I haven't even sat on one. XC. I'm scheduled to go to Phoenix in early May to take a buddy up to look at MCs. Triumph MCs. I think I'll have to ride the XC...

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I'm in serious heat, and I haven't even sat on one. XC. I'm scheduled to go to Phoenix in early May to take a buddy up to look at MCs. Triumph MCs. I think I'll have to ride the XC...

Danger Danger! Don't do that unless you are prepared to buy.:)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
One thing that has to be considered for those reading the mini-comparo. I have been riding the ST1300 for the last 7 years now, and have over 75,000 miles between my two ST1300s. I've also ridden an SV650 for 1-2k in the last 1.5 years. So, while I have a little non-STeed experience in recent years, my M/C senses are all tuned to the ST1300. Somebody who has spent the last 7 years exclusively riding a WR250 would certainly have a different perspective.

Comparing the F800GS to the Tiger 800XC :

Comfort - The Tiger wins hands down. BMW apparently got the seat engineer from KTM who was fired because he used the wrong type of wood for their plank seats. BMW isn't picky about what type of wood is used in the plank, because they cover the plank with a thin layer of vinyl before putting it on the bike. So covered, it is a quite nice looking plank. Yet, still a plank.

Engine - The F800GS (hereafter "FGS") has a nice engine, revs were consistently lower than the Tigger's at the same speed, no surprise there. However, the Tigger's engine was much smoother. Yes, coming off an ST we likely have really high standards of "smooth" from an engine. Nonetheless, the FGS was buzzy compared to the Tigger, noticeably so.

Switchgear - gackkkkk! IF I owned only one bike, I could get used to the freaky BMW switchgear. Catch is, this homeboy don't do just one bike. For that reason, from a safety standpoint alone, the BMW switchgear almost disqualifies the bike from my consideration. Add in the fact that the switchgear just isn't as conveniently located, and mongo blech, blech, blech.

Transmissions - Poe-tay-toe, Poe-tah-toe. Both are very nice.

Handling - Pretty close, although the Tigger felt a little more stable to me. Both much more "skittish" than the ST, but I expect that's primarily an artifact of my familiarity with the ST.

Clocks - Gasoline, Petrol. Same same only different that makes no difference. Neither has my preference of analog tach and analog speedo.

Mirrors - Tigger's are slightly better, but the FGS's are also very good.

Wind Protection - Tigger's may be a smidge better, but both are much better than I expected from 'em.

Lighting - no idea, daylight tests.

Carrying capacity and pillion - didna test either on either bike.

Brakes - good on both. Different from the ST, more dive.

Suspension - the Tigger is a little bit plusher. Neither bike was actually set up for me, so my take on the suspension may not be terribly accurate.

Looks - I prefer the Tigger. If the FGS didn't have the asymmetrical headlights, it would be a wash between 'em.

I also tested the Bonneville SE, and while a Bonnie will remain on my Lottery List, one isn't going to be my next bike. Simply put, the seat is too low and the seat to peg distance isn't enough. I really want maximized leg extension, and the Bonnie seems to have less than my SV650! Other than that, 'tis a schweeeeet mellow ride, and the Bonnie SE that I rode has proper clocks!

The upshot: If I had the $$$ in my pocket, I would be making a deal for a Tiger 800XC. If the Tigger was half again the price of the FGS, I'd get the FGS. Barring a huge price differential though, the Tigger is for me. So now I think I'll wander over to Triumph's site and spec one out.... :ukflag1:

Bike
ST1300 '06
Suffering from heart problems for the last 20 years, I had to let the ST go, ( after 57,000 care free miles ), and get a lighter bike that I can push around a parking lot or into my garage. Took the Tiger up and down some familiar mountain roads and down the freeway a fair piece. And for me and the way I ride, I found the Tiger to be an excellent light weight replacement for the ST. After putting 300 miles on the Tiger the only thing I need to do is massage the seat a bit, need to get more blood in the rump after a 100 miles. The Tiger is feels planted on the freeway and I'm much more confident in tight twisties than the ST.
I don't think there's another bike that does what the ST does, but the Tiger will work just fine for me now.

Attachments

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I really like the Tiger 800. Looks like a worthwhile step up from my Versys...similar role but bigger better faster more.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I really need to say here that I really do like my VSTrom 1K. It's just a beast and a great camping mule. So it's going to take much more than a 'pretty face' to make me consider a change.

I really hope that the XC isn't it, because the VSTrom is paid for:)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I considered the XC since my Super Tenere won't be here 'till July/Aug time frame. There was a ride I really wanted to do on it... I could live with the chain-thing, but not crazy about tube-tires on the XC and the same goes for the BMW 800GS. Sounds like a really nice bike though and if I had longer to think about it, you never know..

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The Versys is way under rated and a very capable machine. I love that 650 power plant.
Yes, I do love the 650, the bike is lightweight and simple, and it can be configured in so many ways. No plans to ditch it any time soon, but I do like the Tiger 800 just the same.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
We are considering adding a dual sport type to the stable. Lynne has short legs and needs a model that can be lowered without too much compromise. We both sat on Terry's (ACL) Versys @ moonshine and it was way tall. There was a red versys with Ohio plates out at Moonshine that had been lowered that fit her perfectly. The tiger 800 says the seat can be lowered down to 31.9, 32.2 for the 800x. She really needs something in the ~30 range. These tigers look nice. Any suggestions........

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
We are considering adding a dual sport type to the stable. Lynne has short legs and needs a model that can be lowered without too much compromise. We both sat on Terry's (ACL) Versys @ moonshine and it was way tall. There was a red versys with Ohio plates out at Moonshine that had been lowered that fit her perfectly. The tiger 800 says the seat can be lowered down to 31.9, 32.2 for the 800x. She really needs something in the ~30 range. These tigers look nice. Any suggestions........
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1309.msg16993.html#msg16993

I really need to quit pushing these things. The price will never come down. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom