Tiger 800 and 800XC

Would be interested to hear the insurance quote. I have heard some say they are rating it as a sportbike.

On another note. Did they deal at all? No dollar amount needed. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Insurance was $51 a year more than the ST.
Paid MSRP and fees, but did get two gift cards for the 500 & 5k service and I got very near what I wanted on the trade for the ST. I was satisfied with the deal. Cash and carry. Not that happy about the insurance though, thought I was getting a senior discount but have to complete a mature driver coarse. If you want to live in California you have to pay!

Sounds like a good deal on the Super Tenere. Guess I'll have to wait a while on the Triumph. Hope to find a used XC in 6-8 months. I usually look for slightly used anyway. Just aren't any yet. Will give me time to sell the trade in, wife's Buell Blast. She doesn't ride it. Also considering a Versys which I like very much, just like the Tiger better.

We decided on the Versys. Both Lynne and I rode a BMW F 650 GS, nice bike, twin 798cc's but just could not pull the trigger. I plan to do my own maintenance which might be more difficult with the BMW, not to mention more costly parts. It is a nice machine just not for us at this time.

Lynne liked the Versys from the first time she saw one. At moonshine there was one that was lowered that fit her well. I checked into the lowering kits and there is an excellent one available with very good reports on performance after lowering by many riders.

We found a '08 with only 3625 miles, single owner bike. Identical to ACL's bike in his garage.

Nice performance for a 650 cc bike. Very comfortable to ride. Lynne is anxious to have it lowered, hopefully by next weekend.

Here is a picture at the new S. Texas tag....

Attachments

• versys.jpg
    versys.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 35
Jeff and Lynne, you might want to join www.kawasakiversys.com, which has some very helpful information especially if you want to do your own maintenance. There's actually not much to do. The air cleaner and spark plugs were easier once I saw pictures and the benefit of someone else's experience. Hope she enjoys the Versys.

Jeff and Lynne, you might want to join www.kawasakiversys.com, which has some very helpful information especially if you want to do your own maintenance. There's actually not much to do. The air cleaner and spark plugs were easier once I saw pictures and the benefit of someone else's experience. Hope she enjoys the Versys.

Have already joined, that is where I found the info on the lowering kit. The forums are very helpful.......

Congrats. My son is now looking for one. Hopefully he can find one and I can ride it some before making a decision. By that time I'm hoping there are some used T8s floating around.

Enjoy

The lowering kit worked great. Here is a picture afterward, note the feet flat on the ground.........

Attachments

• 100_1319.1.jpg
    100_1319.1.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 58
Triumph 800 wasn't even on my radar. You guys think it is similar physical size to the V-Strom?
The Versus seams a little cramped for me.

Triumph 800 wasn't even on my radar. You guys think it is similar physical size to the V-Strom?

In the current issue of Rider, there's a comparison of the V-Strom 650 and Tiger 800... titled Wild Cat vs Wee-Strom. I haven't had a chance to read it to see what ergo comments they make.

I'm pretty sure the Tiger is larger than the Versus (it's pretty good sized). Don't know how it compares to the V-Strom.

According to the Rider article, the Tiger 800 seat height is adjustable from 31.9 to 32.7 inches. Plus, there's a rubber insert in the footpegs that can be removed that lowers them a 1/2 inch. The V-Strom seat height is listed as 32.3 inches.

It's been a while since I sat on a Wee, but IIRC, the ergos are pretty similar. From the seat, the Wee looks to have a longer reach to the bars, but that may simply be a visual artifact of bulbous front end. The Tiger looks much slimmer from the seat. Cost wise, the Wee has it all over on the Tigger, especially since you can get a used Wee. The suspension, brakes, and engine on the Tigger are better, although the "betterness" of the engine is more a matter of opinion at this stage. Yeah, it makes more power, has more torque, and is smoother, but one thing it doesn't have yet is the history of reliability that Suzuki's 650 L-Twin has behind it. The suspension being better doesn't really matter if you plan on upgrading it. Going from memory, the handling of the Tigger is a bit more responsive. Unfortunately, my memories of my testride on the Wee aren't great for comparing, because I had just come off an Electra-Glide I was riding for a friend, so the Wee felt really top heavy. Had I come off the STeed, likely be a different impression.

For a cost conscious commuter and utility bike, the Wee is hard to beat, although it has been beaten with an ugly stick, at least that's the way it seems when I'm looking at it from the seat. It's pretty weird, off the bike from almost any angle it's a good looking bike. From the seat, blech. To my eyes, the Tigger looks good from any angle, including the seat. Just wish they had honest dual clocks on it, not one of them annoying digital doohickeys.

The Wee is a good bike, no doubt about it, with a strong farkle market and enthusiast community. Having ridden both, and owned both a Triumph Sprint RS (955 triple) and an SV650, my heart goes to the triple. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom