Tiger 800 and 800XC

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
If you look at the picture above you can see where engine bolts to the frame on the right side at the head. This part sticks out a little and is hot if you get your bare leg against it (only happens when braking).
Would that frame member or bolt socket protruding out a bit generate injuries in a get-off? I've always seen these frames as giving an 'industrial' and rugged appearance, but at the same time shudder at the idea of the potential for contusions in a get off.
:shrug2:

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I probably shouldn't have said "sticks out". It is the outer part of the frame. I imagine it would hurt if you hit it hard or your leg got pinched up against it. I'm sure it is much less forgiving than plastic.

A couple more things that I thought of.

I really miss the storage compartments that are on the ST. I did mount my top box so that will really help. I am still waiting to see if anyone comes up with something better for the side bags.

The instrument cluster is not user friendly at all. The odometer only comes on for three seconds when the key is turned on then goes to trip a or b and all that info. To change some of the functions in the cluster it has to be in neutral. I guess it will keep me from messing with it on the fly. Probably a good thing but I don't like big brother looking out for me.

The instruments are very easily read any time.

One more annoying thing. When you turn the key to the lock position if you go one position past there the parking lights come on. I have left them on a few times and so far have caught it before it causes a dead battery. I am getting better at it. The difference between lock and lock with parking lights is very tiny.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
One thing I noticed about that bike that I liked over the Super Tenere is the digital gas gauge looked like it had many levels vs the Tenere which I think has 4 or 5.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't remember how many bars when full but quite a few, 10-12 or so. I know how many it has now. Two, that's when the fuel light starts flashing. I think it said about 45 mile to empty. Still has two bars and says 25 to go. Keep thinking about the ST. Think I'll head straight to the station in the morning. Someone needs to find out though.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Well I have made a decision. Looks like the ST is going up for sale. Going to miss the weather protection, storage pockets, the big block growl and brute power. I have only ridden it twice since getting the Tiger, just to exercise it. Nothing against the ST just like the Tiger better and can't justify a bike sitting and depreciating. Need the garage space too. Look for it in the classifieds as soon as I can defarkle it. Farkles coming soon afterwards. Still plan to hang out on this forum and attend the BRGs and others if possible.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Yesterday Lynne and I were able to really compare both the 800 and the XC side by side. We tried the stock seat in both positions on both bikes and also tried the factory lowered seat. With these combinations there seems lots of adjustment in seat height for both bikes. The XC definitely has a more aggressive appearance, partly because it was decked out with the hand guards and motor guard. If these were added to the 800 they really would look very similar. If I were buying I would probable go for the 800 simply for the cast wheels and tubeless tires. Having had the experience of a flat with a tube tire it really leaves you with fewer options. Also I don't really think I will be riding off road much and for dirt roads I don't think there would be a significant difference between the two. I am still waiting for these on the used market and will likely be waiting awhile. Glad yours is preforming so well.........

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
XC definitely has a more aggressive appearance, partly because it was decked out with the hand guards and motor guard. If these were added to the 800 they really would look very similar. If I were buying I would probable go for the 800 simply for the cast wheels and tubeless tires. Having had the experience of a flat with a tube tire it really leaves you with fewer options. Also I don't really think I will be riding off road much and for dirt roads I don't think there would be a significant difference between the two. I am still waiting for these on the used market and will likely be waiting awhile. Glad yours is preforming so well.........
Before you buy you should try to ride them both, they are different. The tube tires are the only thing I didn't like as well about the XC, but I'll deal with it if it is ever a problem. The hand guards are standard on the XC. Depending on what kind of on road riding you intend to do the XC might be better. If it's touring I think the XC's softer suspension is nice plus I have heard it said that it is more stable at road speed with the bigger tire. Either way try to get a ride on each. Still love mine.

I am so glad I found your posts. I have a 03 ST and a 07 650gs. I have sat on a 800xc and really liked it. I was on vacation out west. The dealer didn't offer me a test ride. I am going to Missouri next weekend. The dealer there has a 800 street version demo. So you really like the power vs your heavy but powerful ST? Good Fuel range I hear? Thanks for your post and information. Td

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I am so glad I found your posts. I have a 03 ST and a 07 650gs. I have sat on a 800xc and really liked it. I was on vacation out west. The dealer didn't offer me a test ride. I am going to Missouri next weekend. The dealer there has a 800 street version demo. So you really like the power vs your heavy but powerful ST? Good Fuel range I hear? Thanks for your post and information. Td
I still like it a lot. I will have to run it a little harder to keep up with the ST crowd but it likes to rev. That and the six speed close ratio transmission adds to the fun. If you can get a demo on both models I would recommend it. They are quite different. The street versions turns in much better. Even though 99.999% of my riding is on road I chose the XC. I like the looks, smoother ride, higher wider bars and a few other things better. I have never checked the range but have heard about 200 miles per tank. I'm really enjoying the lighter bike. If you get a ride be sure to post your experience.

One complaint. Some of them (mine included) have an off idle stall when the throttle is blipped. Triumph has come up with a couple map updates already but I'm waiting for the final version. I have two years of warranty so figure I can wait a while.

I will post after test ride next week. Hopefully dealer will still have demo bike. Talked a friend into riding up there with me on his vstar. Hopefully he can keep up. I like you love the look of the XC. I have sat on the Super Tenere and like it to, especially the shaft drive. I understand they may not get here until 2012 now. td

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Congrats. Those were on my radar screen too. Never got to ride one though. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do the Tiger. Please post your experiences and impressions. Now you get to start farkling. Expecting my first round to be delivered today.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Cool. I don't envision issues in keeping up with the Versys (said the Versys owner).

Ok, I took a 300 mile (one way) trip in the 100 degree heat to test ride the Triumph 800xc. I really, really liked the Triumph. I would have never thought I might own a British bike, but this 800xc is just great. Add a taller windshield for winter or bug protection and it would be perfect. Tank bag, givi trunk, etc, etc.. Really enjoyed the ST's power on my ride home through the ozarks. I got to ride the 800xc 35 miles, it is way cool. I guess I am posting the ST and GS650 up for sale. I just want to own one machine. I will be fun farkling the 800xc. No dealers in Arkansas hopefully wont be an issue.

Top Bottom