TomTom vs. Garmin - 3,000 miles later

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello All:

Way back at the beginning of 2020, I purchased a TomTom Rider 550, and wrote a post describing my initial impressions of the device (TomTom Rider 550 Initial Impressions, & Comparison with Garmin Zumo 590). I've now had the opportunity to ride with the device for about 3,000 miles. Here are my thoughts about the Rider 550, and the 'Garmin vs. TomTom' question in general.

All things considered, I think both devices have equal capabilities, and there is not a lot of functional difference between Garmin motorcycle navigators and TomTom motorcycle navigators... they both support route creation on an external device & downloading to the navigator, they both support looking up addresses & POIs, and they both offer speed camera and traffic jam warnings. In other words, for a person buying a motorcycle navigator for the first time ever, they are both equally competent.

Having said that, there are BIG differences in how the two companies handle route creation & downloading, and knowing the difference between how Garmin does it and how TomTom does it might significantly influence the decision to go with Garmin or with TomTom.

Garmin's philosophy is that you create routes on your PC, without needing an internet connection (this because you have previously downloaded the Garmin BaseCamp application and the maps that your device uses to your computer), then you connect your device to your computer using a USB cable and transfer the routes and/or waypoints you have created to the navigator. Using the same cable, you can upload records of tracks you have followed and save these records to your computer.

TomTom's philosophy is very different - you do everything online, creating routes using the TomTom 'MyDrive' website that you access via your web browser, then, you connect your navigator to the internet (using Wi-Fi) and it sucks the routes and waypoints down 'from the cloud'.

In other words, Garmin is off-line based - you need a laptop and a USB cable - and TomTom is online based - you need a device that has access to the internet (computer with web browser, tablet, even a smartphone), and you must also have internet access via Wi-Fi for the navigator to retrieve the routes you have created. If you don't have internet access via Wi-Fi for the navigator, you can tether it to your smartphone to give it internet access. You cannot upload records of tracks you have created (where you have ridden) from the TomTom navigator - it just ain't possible.

---------------

In theory, both philosophies work well. In reality, you can sit at a picnic table at the side of a road with your laptop, USB cable, and Garmin device and create routes & transfer them to the device, but you can't do that with a TomTom unless you have cellular data access (to create the routes on a tablet, computer, or smartphone) and you also have a way of tethering the TomTom navigator to your phone to enable it to fetch the routes you have created.

TomTom's Wi-Fi requirement can be a real PITA if the Wi-Fi network you are trying to log into needs anything more than just a password. For example, most hotel Wi-Fi services, most restaurant Wi-Fi services (think McDonald's, etc.) require you to check a box accepting terms and conditions before you can log into their Wi-Fi network. This is a barrier the navigator itself cannot overcome, because it does not have the capability of displaying the log-in screen - all it can do is access a network that requires a password and nothing else.

If you have an unlimited data plan on your phone, tethering the navigator to your phone might not be a problem. But if you have no data plan, or a limited data plan with expensive overage charges, or even an older phone that doesn't handle data quickly, that's a deal-killer for the TomTom device.

------------------

There is one other major consideration, and this one applies to 'Switching Brands'. Earlier I mentioned that for folks who have never used a motorcycle GPS navigator, either brand is equally capable - after having considered the issue of Wi-Fi access I just described.

But, if you have been using Garmin navigators for a while and have become competent at both using the devices and using your computer and BaseCamp (or MapSource) to create routes and transfer them to the Garmin navigator, the need to 'forget everything you know and learn a totally different philosophy' will be a massive PITA that cannot be underestimated. It's worse than just switching from using Windows to using a Mac (or vice-versa) - it's more like switching from speaking English (and being competent at it) to speaking French or Spanish (and being competent at it).

For that reason, if you have a lot of experience with Garmin, don't consider switching to TomTom (or vice-versa).

One last consideration is that with the Garmin devices, you can download and save your routes, tracks, and waypoints to your computer, and look back at them years or even decades later, even if you have changed devices numerous times or don't even have a Garmin device anymore. TomTom does not offer any method of saving tracks you have travelled for later review, and you can only save routes and waypoints on the device itself... where it is difficult to review them after the fact.

I hope these observations & thoughts are useful to others who may be considering purchase of a GPS navigator.

Michael

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I agree about switching between the two. I had started with Garmin in the car and then got a new fancy TomTom with back up cam etc, and quickly disliked the operation, huge time lag for on the fly rerouting and touch screen, admittedly it was a number of years ago and I''m sure they have improved immensly. Back to Garmin now and chose the Garmin for the bike too (396) and enjoy the adventurous routing and glove friendly operation, added the TPMS too.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I think you will find that the Zumo XT has obsoleted the Zumo 590 now and it would be an interesting comparison to make with the XT vs. the older 590.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Looks like I'm two generations behind the XT, so can't help there. Always a new model in the pipe, but I think I remeber someone doing that 590/XT comparo here...
Maybe this one

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...the Zumo XT has obsoleted the Zumo 590 now and it would be an interesting comparison to make with the XT vs. the older 590.
I've gone through at least a dozen different Garmin motorcycle navigators since buying my first Streetpilot back in 2000. My experience has been that newer models generally don't introduce new features (major improvements such as telephone support, live traffic, and lane guidance excepted) - the changes from generation to generation usually consist of faster processors and better image quality on the screen - not unlike cell phone generational improvements.

I have not yet had a chance to try out a Garmin XT - I have a 590 on my North American bike and the TomTom Rider 550 on my European bike. Both of those are meeting my needs at the moment, so I think it will be a while before I buy another navigator.

Michael

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I bought a Zumo XT about a year ago. The screen is amazing and very readable in direct sunlight. Its connection to your cell phone for quick route downloads and also interconnectivity to music etc. are great. So far it has met my expectations. The live traffic reporting has actually worked well and the lane guidance is far superior to any of my previous Garmin navigators. Not needing a computer or phone for map and unit updates is really nice as well as it connects to wifi directly. I was a little worried about the mount and power connections looking a little underbuilt but have not had any issues with it even riding on some pretty rough dirt and gravel roads. The screen alone was worth the price. I do wish they would make a 7" model - this would be great for TOPO maps.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I think you will find that the Zumo XT has obsoleted the Zumo 590 now and it would be an interesting comparison to make with the XT vs. the older 590.
Last summer, I had my Garmin 595LM fall off the bike and needed a new GPS. I bought the TomTom 550, as I'd always wanted to try one but didn't have a good excuse. I wanted to like it.

Some observations:
  • The POI database is poor. I do a lot of my routing by gas stations. I liked how the two closest gas stations show up on the right hand side bar. But more than once, I passed by gas stations that had clearly been there for years...and they didn't show up. Garmin's POI database seems far more extensive.
  • Screen detail is poor. The images on web reviews are great, but in most of my riding, the screen looked like a billiard table. With the Garmin Zumo XT, you can use a number of maps that are provided, including one that is topographical.
  • TomTom passes things like phone support and music support off to your smartphone. There are no built-in apps for an interface like Garmin has. On some lonely stretches of road, I'd try to play my favorite Christian artist...and TomTom passed that on to the Sena headset, which then passed that on to Google...and tried to stream music out in the middle of nowhere. I'd try to call my wife...and got some lawyer's office repeatedly.
  • The Zumo XT's screen has to be seen to believe how crisp and clear it is in any kind of sunlight. This is what a motorcycle GPS screen should look like.
Chris

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I guess I have to disagree a bit with the requirement that you need TomTom's MyDrive or Garmin's Basecamp to utilize either of the devices. You can use any one of the other route creation tools available to make routes for both. Personally I use . yRoute App mostly. It is web based so you do need a WiFi connection to create routes on it. Once you create the routes you can save them in any number of formats including Garmin's .gpx or TT's .itn or others if you so wish. You can then export the routes to your Garmin or TT device, or smartphone, or you can store them on your hard drive of your computer and save them forever. I have routes on my computer that I created some 10 years ago and they are still easily accessed and transferable to a GPS device.
Another main advantage of utilizing other route creation programs is that you are not tied to the maps used by TT or Garmin and you don't have to lay out more money for updates.

I have noticed that TomTom seems to be more accurate in Europe and other parts of the world, whereas Garmin is more accurate in North America. Other than that, it is whichever user interface you are familiar with. Of course with the plethora of smartphone apps now available, that can be used without any kind of data connection, I can't see myself ever buying a standalone unit again. That said, I do not want to start a standalone vs smartphone debate.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
TomTom's Wi-Fi requirement can be a real PITA if the Wi-Fi network you are trying to log into needs anything more than just a password. For example, most hotel Wi-Fi services, most restaurant Wi-Fi services (think McDonald's, etc.) require you to check a box accepting terms and conditions before you can log into their Wi-Fi network. This is a barrier the navigator itself cannot overcome, because it does not have the capability of displaying the log-in screen - all it can do is access a network that requires a password and nothing else.

If you have an unlimited data plan on your phone, tethering the navigator to your phone might not be a problem. But if you have no data plan, or a limited data plan with expensive overage charges, or even an older phone that doesn't handle data quickly, that's a deal-killer for the TomTom device.
A couple of points (and I don't own either device FWIW):

First: Current windows laptops allow you to share your wifi connection. This is built-in and doesn't require 3rd party apps (but Connectify is an option if you want more control/flexibility). So you connect to the McD's wifi, create the hotspot, connect the GPS to said hotspot and you should be good to go. No clue if Apple has something similar, however.

Second: My current samsung phone, a Galaxy Fold Z 3, will let you create a hotspot from a wifi connection. My old phone did not (only from cellular), so maybe this is a new feature rolling out for Android phones. Same procedure applies. Again, no idea about Apple.

Just my 2c.

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I guess I have to disagree a bit with the requirement that you need TomTom's MyDrive or Garmin's Basecamp to utilize either of the devices. You can use any one of the other route creation tools available to make routes for both. Personally I use . yRoute App mostly. It is web based so you do need a WiFi connection to create routes on it. Once you create the routes you can save them in any number of formats including Garmin's .gpx or TT's .itn or others if you so wish. You can then export the routes to your Garmin or TT device...
That's good information. I did not know that other device-agnostic applications or web services existed to create routes for GPS navigators. But, despite this, the method of transferring the route you have created to the navigator will remain unchanged - a USB cable for the Garmin 590 and earlier Garmin models, and Wi-Fi for the TomTom.
Current windows laptops allow you to share your Wi-Fi connection. This is built-in and doesn't require 3rd party apps...
Wow. I didn't know that. My laptop is a Microsoft Surface Book 2 (a fairly recent product). How can I go about sharing my Wi-Fi connection with another device? Is this accomplished using Wi-Fi, or using Bluetooth, or using a cable - or using some other technology that I am unaware of?

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
Michael, have you read the Garmin and Tom Tom privacy agreements? Everytime I read one of those things I end up declining to use the app. Since TT requires you to use their online software, I wonder if they are purloining your info for their advertising partners. And no, I've not read Garmins agreement (I have a 590) - I'm afraid to because if I don't like it, I'll stop using their gps.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Wow. I didn't know that. My laptop is a Microsoft Surface Book 2 (a fairly recent product). How can I go about sharing my Wi-Fi connection with another device? Is this accomplished using Wi-Fi, or using Bluetooth, or using a cable - or using some other technology that I am unaware of?
All done with Wi-Fi. I use a Surface Pro, so a Surface Book should have all the same options.

Once you connect to your wifi (at home, work, McD's etc...), go to: Settings... Network & Internet... Mobile Hotspot.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 194225_LI.jpg

From here you can:
  1. Turn the hotspot on and off.
  2. Share your wifi connection and, probably, ethernet (I've never actually shared ethernet).
  3. Allow others to connect via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
  4. Edit your SSID (Hotspot name) and password.
Once you've configured your hotspot, you can quickly turn it on or off from the taskbar. Just click the wifi (or network) symbol in the lower-left corner and click "mobile hotspot" once you've connected your wifi. Easy peasy.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Garmin models, and Wi-Fi for the TomTom.
I am not positive but I believe newer units allow the transfer of files via a bluetooth connection. I know my TT930 does.

Here is a good thread on what available for route building programs.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/free-online-route-building-programs.987994/

As I said, it use MyRoute App.
I find it very user friendly and if you have the gold edition, there are lots of options available. It morphed out of the TyreToTravel program

which is still available and very useful as well as free.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I guess I have to disagree a bit with the requirement that you need TomTom's MyDrive or Garmin's Basecamp to utilize either of the devices. You can use any one of the other route creation tools available to make routes for both.
In his post-race interview, 2021 IBR winner Mike Brooke says he was routing with Google Maps and downloading his routes directly to his Garmin GPS(s!), bypassing BaseCamp which he doesn't seem to like very much. Any idea how this can be done relatively efficiently? The methods I googled seem convoluted. I would imagine there is a streamlined method if Mike was able to do it on the go and win!?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Michael, have you read the Garmin and Tom Tom privacy agreements?
I'm very familiar with Garmin agreements, this a result of buying over a million dollars of Garmin avionics for a former employer. Later, I became involved with Garmin as a volunteer beta tester for motorcycle nav units, and had to sign a NDA.

Garmin's user agreements for their motorcycle navigators are pretty benign - basically, they state that you can't pirate the software or the cartography, and that Garmin is not responsible for any trouble you get into (translation = you get lost) while using the device. You also have to agree to not export the device or software to countries that are sanctioned by the USA.

I didn't bother to read TomTom's agreement. Doesn't matter if they target advertising at me, I rarely look at advertisements, much less click on them. Having said that, I have never seen any form of advertising on TomTom's website, other than for their own products and services.

Michael

Top Bottom