Total Miles of STs on Dark Side

Mike, you have the Hankook on yours ?

@George: is that 22622 on the same tire bro ? I just missed the post somewhere, I guess ?

Tom

@ iride (Not sure ur name)

Yeah, cant beat those numbers. I was going to try a few other sets first. It was always in the back of my mind. I have been riding with my "riding Partner" Harry (HRCole) ... following him for 8000 mi or whatever he has now, to my 3 sets of wore out tires. Almost all of the following and prob 95% plus of his riding in Southern , IN (Just as good as anywhere else as far as twisty roads) and you wouldnt know he was a Dark-Sider (Mwahahahahaha) Hankook as well.

So, under the conditions this weekend, it really was not a tough decision ... Glad I did it so far ! You know how you can just tell, some things right away ! Hard to explain, but you just know ! well ... that it !
Like i said ... even though the link shows it pretty good, I will post some pix. (It is a good looker, huh ! lol) Just a bit ti-red when i got home, ya know ! If I can get 15 to 20, I will be ecstatic !

Not sure that i care for the PR2 in the front tho. I think I will have to try different fronts. Thats a thread that needs started.

Anyhow ... good luck hitting 30k ! lol

Tom

Update my mileage on the Hankook to 10,000. Amazed that it barely looks like it had done a thousand miles. Running 41 psi. No evidence of cupping or irregular wear that every MT would have had by now. About half of these miles have been with full bags, a 40 pound soft bag on the seat, camping gear on a tail rack, and my fat but at 215 pounds.

Heading out next month and will put another five thousand on it before I return. Couldn't plan that with the MT without expecting to be running into the wear bars before I get home. I'm confident the tire will last beyond 20,000 miles before I replace it. Not bad for a $100 investment. Appears the Darkside cuts my rear tire bill at least by half.

At the risk of double posting this link https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgesto...prd/540157.sku it probably belongs in here anyway because it's subject related.
I have gone round and round, fact finding about the 130/70/18 Jeff is using on his 1300 and the width could be an issue to deal with at 5". So I studied and searched and found a rear tire that fits the same dimensions as an intended front wheel except it is 9/32 tread depth vs the usual 5 or 6/32 tread depth. So, what do you guys think?
If it hasn't been done before it's ok, I am a tryer kind of person. Mod

Moddy, I'm running the same bt45 as Jeff, and couldn't be happier. Near 7k miles and it looks new. If you want to see it in action with my Hankook, look for the thread about Darkside on the Dragon. The width isn't an issue...it fits fine and handles great.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

Aha...OK. using my phone, so user info doesn't show up.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

I would also like to add that I have read about both mixing a radial and bias, or both bias. It has boiled down to how you learn to ride with what you have and what you like to ride. In at least 3 different threads Dark Mark has mentioned that it is rider preference and riding style to what "the new feel" takes getting used to. My riding style is to enjoy being on my machine. I don't really lean terribly far down when I ride in an attempt to know exactly how Kenny Roberts felt in a turn. So for me, a longer mileage tire, the rear Battlax on the front is worth a try. As it happens the OE Exedra were bias ply. I also think it was due to the weight rating, radials have changed since 20 years ago and people have switched to radials since then with happy results. Does anyone know what '01 or '02 OE tires were on the 1100. That would help understand the evolutionary process since 1991.

Raymond, is that on ONE tire, or did you change it? Just curious the miles you are getting out of them.

Not really appropriate place for this but...

At ArcampSTOC I rode 4 other ST's with car tires on the rear. First was Raymond's with his Hankook, then Fergie's with his Goodyear, then John's with his Sumitomo and finally Bigmak96 ST100 and with his Turanza. All very different feeling bikes. John's was the most neutral/least able to tell it was a car tire but his was also the newest with only a few hundred miles on them.

I am late to this party, but have a little bit to contribute.

I mounted a Sumitomo HTRZ on my '07 ST about 1600 miles ago. Jeff and Raymond both rode it in Arkansas. The tire seems to be a good match for the ST.....no handling problems and very neutral in the turns. I am waaaaaaay less tban being qualified to offer any kind of performance report. The mileage I rack up is from going places and being a tourist.

Once I have lots of miles on this tire, I will post my thoughts and feelings. Right now, I feel like this tire will dry rot before I can rack up enough miles to wear it out.

I mounted a Sumitomo HTRZ on my '07 ST about 1600 miles ago.

So that was YOU! I think it was Larry who was with me checking your tire out at the Moonshine store. I hadn't heard of a Sumitomo darkside on an ST, so found it interesting. Nice looking tire! I was curious how it handled, but it sounds like you haven;'t pushed it hard. Hey, its not like you have corners out there! LOL. I'll be curious how it holds up. At least we know of another tire that fits in the swingarm.

Jim

I'm happy so far with my Federal Formoza 175/60/16 on lipSTick. Over 2000 miles with no issues at all. I can "feel" it but it's not a bother. I thought the smaller diameter would bring the foot pegs too close to the ground but I haven't touched down a peg yet. Makes it harder to get on the center stand tho.

And,,,look for the low spot to put the side stand in. :D

Double dark today. Battlax 110/80H-18. Glad I had an idea of getting a feel for it before I rode like "normal". Especially with the increase pressure for a rear front tire, may reduce it to 38 to see if it handles a little better, seems harder than necessary, makes it easy to turn from left to right though, only have 30 miles so far.

Thanks for all the updates, I'm going to try to update all the mileages tomorrow night.

I finally got a chance to total up the mileages. We passed another milestone- we have over 200k miles on the Darkside!

Back
Top Bottom