Vinny's New England trip

Vinny,

You have me talking to myself about the New River Gorge Bridge. What a spectacular thing to see and ride. Add one to my bucket list.

One important thing I forgot to mention yesterday. West Virginia is wonderful.... now I say that because it is totally awesome on its own, but after riding through Pennsylvania, it is double awesome. I'm not going to bash Pennsylvania too hard, but thought I would forewarn anyone who has not been to Pennsylvania (my apologies to any forum member who happens to preside inn that state and have become numb to it). Out of all the places we visited, the aforementioned state has the most prehistoric speed limits, ill timed signals and most slow drivers of any place we went. They have some nice folks and beautiful farms etc. but driving there stinks! Most small town limits were 25, and school zones were 15. 55mph was a rare thing on rural roads.

We were on hwy 119 in Pennsylvania and the speed limit was 35, as soon as we crossed into West Virginia, the limit elevated to 55! Hallelujah, Hallelujah, I have been set free. The road was just about the same as far as curves, twisties, etc... but the folks there were not wimps and were exercising their "FREEDOM"! Man, it was a pleasure driving the roads of West Virginia!

Ok, now on to the positive. We visited the New River Gorge bridge as mentioned above and totally loved it. When we left this morning, we picked up Hwy 16 out of Beckley and the ride was on!!!
Holly Cow, this road is a almost non-stop roller coaster type of ride. Some sections were so technical, I was busy at 10mph. We saw signs (suggested speed limits of 15mph) well, be warned, and heed the signs. Lots of super tight hairpins, double switch backs, and tight "s" turns. It was totally awesome. But wait... this went on most of the day! Wish I was on the ST instead of the Wing. My bucket list now includes a return trip to hwy 16 starting at Charlotte and riding it all the way to the Ohio boarder. We got off of 16 in Jefferson, NC and rode some really great back roads down to Waynesville where we are spending the night.
Should be home before 1pm tomorrow.
It has been a very good trip. I will try to post a link to all the pictures when i get home to the desk top and learn a little more about managing the photos.

Sounds like you've had a great trip Vinny.

I will however defend PA. If you got to the N Central portion of the state, you were sadly on the wrong roads. Lots of excellent riding to be had. Next time!

Sounds like you've had a great trip Vinny.

I will however defend PA. If you got to the N Central portion of the state, you were sadly on the wrong roads. Lots of excellent riding to be had. Next time!

OK Dean, Next time I will contact you for routes through PA. I know there has got to be some "feel good territory" up there. Sorry I did not discover it this time around.:)
I guess the contrast between PA and WV was so stark, couldn't get over it.

I lived in Portsmouth, NH for 5 yrs back in the late 50's and I loved the area. We spent several weekends sitting on the green listening to some sort of symphony playing and doing the tourist thing with my Mom and Dad. Boston is very busy but it's a great city. After a stint in Guam, we got sent to Bangor and my dad was there when they closed the base. Nice city, the people I met at my job were much more friendly than you hear people from Maine are. I remember miles and miles of pine trees. After Bangor Dad was transferred to Chicopee Falls, MA and he retired from there in '69 or '70 and said he was so tired of New England winters he was going south until he found a palm tree. He wound up in Houston while I was doing the service thing myself. I know he always had fond memories of the time in Portsmouth and Bangor. I'm sure you've enjoyed touring the area. When we lived in Bangor dad bought a Renault Dauphine that I drove all over the place..even took the ferry to Nova Scotia once for a four-day quick tour in. The ferry was quite an experience and I remember the little town where we took off from was drop-dead gorgeous.

I lived in Portsmouth, NH for 5 yrs back in the late 50's and I loved the area. We spent several weekends sitting on the green listening to some sort of symphony playing and doing the tourist thing with my Mom and Dad. Boston is very busy but it's a great city. After a stint in Guam, we got sent to Bangor and my dad was there when they closed the base. Nice city, the people I met at my job were much more friendly than you hear people from Maine are. I remember miles and miles of pine trees. After Bangor Dad was transferred to Chicopee Falls, MA and he retired from there in '69 or '70 and said he was so tired of New England winters he was going south until he found a palm tree. He wound up in Houston while I was doing the service thing myself. I know he always had fond memories of the time in Portsmouth and Bangor. I'm sure you've enjoyed touring the area. When we lived in Bangor dad bought a Renault Dauphine that I drove all over the place..even took the ferry to Nova Scotia once for a four-day quick tour in. The ferry was quite an experience and I remember the little town where we took off from was drop-dead gorgeous.
Kim, thanks for the response... all those areas you speak of are great areas. Loved them all. We just did not do Boston this time because we had recently been there with one of the daughters. I visited Bath Maine during New Years back in the late 70's. The New Meadows river was frozen over and everything was white. Bar Harbor was my favorite spot in Maine this time, especially on top of Cadillac Mountain... what a view!
I also know what a Renault Dauphine is. Was stationed in Naples Italy for 2 years, there were many of them around. I would liked to have done a ferry ride during this trip, but the wife is very mortified around water... Wanted to do the Leeds ferry across the Delaware Bay, but turned inland instead. It's all good, we had a blast. Best of all, Beverly loved it and has become a self sufficient, low maintenance pillion! She is now ready to do it again. Mission accomplished.

Wow...

Vinny the wife whisperer!

It sounds like both of you had a wonderful time and many more to come.

Just one question.....did you turn off the intercom during the first drenching?

Wow...

Vinny the wife whisperer!

It sounds like both of you had a wonderful time and many more to come.

Just one question.....did you turn off the intercom during the first drenching?
Actually, I only turned the CD player on maybe a total of four times during the entire trip. During the all day long "slog" in the rain between Montreal and Niagara Falls was one of those times. I told Beverly I was turning it on to "take the edge off" the tense driving situation. I was focused so hard at the traffic - lots of big trucks - and the rain and high winds, both of us were very concerned. Turning the music on did ease the tension of driving in such conditions. Never did I turn the intercom off, the would be the worst thing to do. When we arrived in Niagara Falls, she had nothing but praise for my driving.

Vinny and Beverly,

Fantastic photo's. It was great fun following along with you guys on your big adventure. Glad you are back home safely....how about a recap on the bike/trailer? How did eveything work? I assume you got the hesitation problem solved with the Wing? What are the big differences touring on a Wing vs. ST?

Bob

Very nice pics Vinny. Makes me want to take a trip up there. My fav pic by far has to be the portable crap shack on the highway. "When you gotta go, on the go!" LOL :D

Very nice pics!... I need to do some riding in that part of the country.

Very nice pics!... I need to do some riding in that part of the country.
Yes you do! Good territory for the Super Ten. Lots of good camping, tons of good roads. Even rode a few on this trip, you gotta check out Hwy 16 in Virginia and West Virginia... gonna go back with the ST some time.

Check this out. One of the state parks along the way. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hun.shtml

Vinny and Beverly,

Fantastic photo's. It was great fun following along with you guys on your big adventure. Glad you are back home safely....how about a recap on the bike/trailer? How did eveything work? I assume you got the hesitation problem solved with the Wing? What are the big differences touring on a Wing vs. ST?

Bob

Bob, the hesitation issue with the wing was corrected a while ago, it hasn't missed a beat...performed flawlessly during the entire trip. The wing was a pleasure to ride, very comfortable, no back fatigue, no shoulder fatigue... after 8 to 10 hours in the saddle, I did squirm just a little. Bev never complained, took everything in stride. The one day of rain between Montreal and Niagara Falls (on the Canada side) only the feet got a little damp with all the water we were exposed to... the windshield protected both of us from most of the water.
Pulling the trailer with the wing was a non issue. Once in a while, I would remember to look in the rear view mirrors to see if it was still there! The only time I had to be conscious of towing it would be tight turns or when backing out of parking spaces. When compared to the St, I would prefer the wing during this type of touring (two up) and long days. 8 to 10 hours on the ST would usually give me some minor back or shoulder issues.

Vinny

Back
Top Bottom