Water pump time?

Bike
2007 ST1300
Is the referenced "square hole" approximately 1 1/4" below the water pump weep hole and at the bottom of the water pump housing cover?

I've got 4-5 drips of coolant coming from weep hole or square hole at start up. Also after running to operating temp, there is some steam coming for the lower area (square hole?) of the housing cover.
If there is steam coming out, is that an indicator of a pump mechanical seal failure?

Rich
I can't remember the exact location of the square hole but this leads to the valley of the engine "upper" drain area .
The water pump weep hole is not much larger than a ball point pen end and I have had leak at both locations. If coming from the water pump weep hole it is indicating mechanical seal failure in the near future and recomends replacing the water pump.
Hope this helps.
FYI the water pump replacement on a 1300 is quit detailed as the front engine case hase to be removed and exposes the clutch plates ( which I replaced at the same time due to the engine being opened)

Bike
'04 ST1300,
So how is this going (done?). We should group Zoom call this, I'm doing the same thing now. Suspecting the thermostat housing and I'll give everything else a lookover while in there.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I can't remember the exact location of the square hole but this leads to the valley of the engine "upper" drain area .
Here's a link to a post that shows the exact location of the round and square holes, and also the path fluids take to get to these holes: ST1300 - Water Pump Weep Holes.

Be aware that when you take the motorcycle out of storage in the springtime, and give it that "first really good wash and super-detailed cleanup", you will probably spray some water from the hose into the area between the 'V' of the engine cylinders. For sure this will happen if you have lifted the upper fuel tank up. When this nice, clean, innocent wash water runs down into the V, a little bit of water will remain down there, and it will dissolve any evaporated coolant deposits that might be present around hose clamps. Later, when you roll the motorcycle into the garage, you might find a green stain on the floor when this water drains out the square hole. This does not mean you have a leak.

The rule of thumb for diagnosing and evaluating leaks from the square hole is to never assume that a single instance of greenish fluid leaking out the square hole means you have a coolant leak. Wait a few days until the motorcycle has gone through a few operational cycles (from cold engine to fully warmed up engine, plus a little bit of riding around). If you don't see a second instance of green fluid leakage after a few operational cycles have passed, all that happened the first time was that you washed out years of accumulated crud from the V in the middle of the engine.

Michael

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Do you have a service manual you can reference?
I do, the OEM one. I was going to in the top rather than through the front and give everything a good clean under the throttle bodies as well but then I remembered I need to drain the coolant anyway so off come the fairings as well.
It's all good. That bike isn't coming out this year anyway, I have the others to ride,.....................................not that it looks I'm going anywhere this year though.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good luck with removing the front cover. It doesn’t fall off, its on there good. You can remove the small impeller cover after you remove the larger front cover. The large and small cover are on dowels and is a tight fit. Rubber hammer and small screwdriver on the top section very carefully. Plastic prying tools are best. Then on re-install, I had a hard time lining up the four dowels. Really snug fit!
THEN the front cover gasket. Wow! Did that scrape off hard! Good thing you’re not in a hurry to get back on the road.
Good luck...

Bike
'04 ST1300,
At the current time I have no intentions of removing the waterpump cover. I think my ( slight ) leak is from the thermostat housing or hoses attaching to it.

Top Bottom