We are honored with Allen Millyard working an 1100!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Indeed... ;)
They seem to slip right on....

Further comments on the vid might cause an international crisis, hence I refrain... :biggrin:
Yes, there is no problem at all with fitting the OEM silencers into the Delkevic headers (done it three times).
One thing I did was replace the cheesy heat shield bolts with the proper sized stainless steel socket head bolts.

Bike
VStrom 650
Thanks - That was interesting how he kept the engine tilted over until he got it in the frame.

That makes a lot of sense - especially putting a strap on the drive shaft to get the rear where it should be.

I figured he had a good plan for doing it by himself.

And I noticed it was interesting that the 'pair' system ports were blocked off.
Yes UP, but you had John with his back under the sump, I wished you'd done a video.....and.......no pair system on my old 98.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes UP, but you had John with his back under the sump, I wished you'd done a video.....and.......no pair system on my old 98.
The thing that was interesting to me is how Allen kept the engine laid way over until he got it positioned in the frame.
Then he raised the rear to get the drive shaft installed, then he rotated the engine up.
I bet that took some 'noodlin' on his part!

Bike
VStrom 650
The thing that was interesting to me is how Allen kept the engine laid way over until he got it positioned in the frame.

Then he raised the rear to get the drive shaft installed, then he rotated the engine up.

I bet that took some 'noodlin' on his part!
I agree, it's like he'd done it once a week for a lifetime. His engineering insight is very, very humbling.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
One thing I did was replace the cheesy heat shield bolts with the proper sized stainless steel socket head bolts.
I use copper slip on such connections, prevents corrosion weld pretty good...
I'd be worried about lateral forces on output and prop shaft there...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
All EC spec '92 onward had it... only on first gen omitted...
What we don't have is altitude control and the charcoal canister in the tank-vent...
Perhaps then the UK bikes weren't equipped with the PAIR system? I recall seeing some Canadian ST1100s, '96 and later even, that did not have the PAIR system. The heads were unmachined like the photos above. The one Allen was working on was similar appearing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What confused me is it looks like a coating over the PAIR bolt holes and openings, not just aluminum that was not machined. But then it might be because they are covered with road crud. I also noticed on his 'new' one that someone had replaced the headlight adjuster with a volt/amp gauge. ;)

Bike
VStrom 650
What confused me is it looks like a coating over the PAIR bolt holes and openings, not just aluminum that was not machined. But then it might be because they are covered with road crud. I also noticed on his 'new' one that someone had replaced the headlight adjuster with a volt/amp gauge. ;)
UP, it's just casting marks, theyre all like that and for all years over here as far as I'm aware.
Ray.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Did Honda ever work out the way to lift the motor in and out ? Or is that none of their business ? Is there a photo of the machine they use in the factory ?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP, it's just casting marks, theyre all like that and for all years over here as far as I'm aware.
Ray.
The 'roughness' sort of surprised me since Honda took some time to 'spit and polish' the rest of the bike.
I guess they figured you wouldn't really see them with the maintenance panels in place.

Top Bottom