Jackets Wearable air conditioner (vest)

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Sounds great but at $3500 total (don't forget the $2 new customer discount), I think not. I wonder how it would perform with the Florida heat (95 F with 95% humidity)?

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I have a Techniche cooling vest ($40) that needs to be recharged with water about every 3 hours. I wear mesh gear in heat and it works well. I’m cheap, but if it works, who cares. With Covid and global warming, I’ve not used it in a couple of years. Prolly can’t find it. What did I have for breakfast?

Greg

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The cooling vest don't work very well down here the land of high heat and high humidity. Worked great when I was riding in the southwest.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Living and riding in the southwest I haved learned many things about hot weather riding. I'm referring to temps over 100* early in the morning. What I do would have no value east of Dallas.

I tried to t-shirt thing but I got sunburned terribly and dehydrated in less than an hour. So exposure is out. I saturate my head cap and t-shirt, cover myself in a leather jacket with open ventilation zippers and have a two gallon water cooler with a hose to my mouth strapped to the rear backrest.

The cruiser types look at me like I've lost my mind but I typically had about another couple hundred miles to go.

This cooling vest is nifty but once it fails it's worthless.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The Ventz product is promising and cheap. I know if I leave the sleeves on the Stich suit loose in hot weather, and get the position right, a jet of air past the wrists works great. The Ventz would seem to keep that area open to scoop better.

If I was a true hot weather rider, I'd invest in a full mesh outfit. I know the Tourmaster jacket I have works nicely. All the electric doodads seem expensive, fragile and gimmicky.

RT

Bike
2010 ST1300
What a deal! You can save more than $162 by spending 3200. But I have a better deal for you. Save $3078 by not buying one.

I wonder if the extension cord is extra. No mention of batteries or battery life. Even more concerning is the fact that Veskimo is no longer offering cooling vests.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The more accoutrements I need to ride probably the less I need to ride. The idea is for me to be comfortable. In cool-cold (but not silly cold) a heated jacket works well and is no more awkward to wear than a regular jacket.

Hot weather would be a different story. I'm OK up to about 90º-95º. No hot house flower I. An air-condition vest or jacket could work but it would have to be as "transparent" as wearing any other long-sleeved covering.

Then there's the issue of reliability and cost vs comfort. Then maybe that's the time to seek shade and a cold lemonade.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
An air-condition vest or jacket could work but it would have to be as "transparent" as wearing any other long-sleeved covering.
Been in 40°C/100°F... not fun but bearable... learn to observe your body, you'll grow exhausted fast, loss of concentration imminent...
Don't know if those vests with (ice)water circulation are still kinda breathable...
And I agree, cost vs comfort and mobility...
If the heat in the plains gets noticeable, I choose routes through the woods and over the mountains where it's much cooler...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
In the hotter weather, I use a Bohn Armored ventilated shirt under my airbag vest- good to about 95 degrees without feeling like I’m going to pass out- $159 trumps $3K+ every time. If it’s that insanely hot out, I’m not riding that day. Same with cold- heated gear is great (vest and gloves) but under ~ 45 F or so, I’m not riding. I have a cool vest that I really don’t use in SC since it’s a more humid environment. When I used it in Colorado, it works great!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm not even going to ask where the drain line runs.
Don't ask, just use your imagination.
... and a low budget version ;)
A Veskimo by another name. If you want to take a drink, looks like you have to unplug it from the vest. This must be why you take your hands off the handlebars while riding. Why put water in the jug when beer or spirits can be cooled so much lower than water?

Top Bottom