Jackets Wearable air conditioner (vest)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just hold my arm straight out in front, so that the airflow goes straight up my sleeve, which billows the back of the jacket and is quite cooling. I think it would hurt less in the event of a spill too. But 40 degrees ? I have no concept of those sort of temperatures. The tar and chipping roads here in the Uk would be unrideable in that heat.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I just hold my arm straight out in front, so that the airflow goes straight up my sleeve, which billows the back of the jacket and is quite cooling. ...
I guess you don't have yellowjackets and bumblebees in your neck of the woods.

Chris

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yellow jackets no. Bumblebees yes, but they dont go for the sleeves. They aim for a route over the top of the screen, under my part open visor, and under my glasses while maintaining enough speed to strike a hefty blow to the bone under my eye socket.
Darwin never spotted this evolutionary trend. They are getting quite good at it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yellow jackets no. Bumblebees yes, but they dont go for the sleeves. They aim for a route over the top of the screen, under my part open visor, and under my glasses while maintaining enough speed to strike a hefty blow to the bone under my eye socket.
Darwin never spotted this evolutionary trend. They are getting quite good at it.
Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the glasses....

T.G. Lewis

TG Lewis
Bike
02 ST1100abs
Cheap and Easy for Hot:

Rode out to LA from Colorado in early August back in '94, and it hit around 121-123 degrees F around the St. George, UT area. Survived by having large sports bottle filled with water, doused myself every 20 to 30 minutes.

2015, early July, picked up my wife in Orlando, FL, and we rode back to CO in mid-90 F temps. She came up with the marvelous idea to pour large McD's cups of ice (after we got done guzzling iced tea) in the inner mesh pockets of our mesh coats. Turns out ice works even in high humidity... You were cool for an hour or so and then you were just rather moist.

Cheap and Easy for Cold:
Stop at a 7/11 and buy the thickest newspaper they have, and stick it inside your coat against your chest. Works best on an un-faired bike, obviously, but it always helps. Light-weight backpack, packed lightly so it's still comfortable, helps alot as well.
DSCN6951 w arrow.jpg
Oh, yeah: Don't forget to open your heaters. The little rectangular plastic covers in the bodywork. The shop manual will tell you these exist for carburetor tickling, which they do, but at lower speeds, this works nicely--aka, better'n nothin'...

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Sounds great but at $3500 total (don't forget the $2 new customer discount), I think not. I wonder how it would perform with the Florida heat (95 F with 95% humidity)?
Also interesting is to find out where the run off of water from the unit will be going. Leg bag? Might get embarrassing :think1:

Top Bottom