Wee Bonny Scotland.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just got back from this lovely spot, Altandhu in NW Scotland. It's about as far NW as you can go without getting your feet wet.
It was a car trip so no bikes in the piccies, after this strange year we just felt like going for a walk.
I know a few of you lovely people enjoy Scotland especially @Uncle Phil so I thought they'd be worth posting.
I don't think you'd have ridden these roads UP but you'd have been close, it's about 15 miles NW of Ullapool. Although the journey is more like 25 by road and takes an hour to cover.
Enjoy.
Upt'North.

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Nice photos UN. It is starting to look very remote and I can only imagine what it is like in winter. Sorry to hear you were on 4 wheels rather than ST wheels though ;). Next time maybe.
I'm pleased to see authorities have made provision for vehicle passing. I don't recall such signs along the many narrow roads I travelled in 2018.
Cheers, D

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Nice photos UN. It is starting to look very remote and I can only imagine what it is like in winter. Sorry to hear you were on 4 wheels rather than ST wheels though ;). Next time maybe.
I'm pleased to see authorities have made provision for vehicle passing. I don't recall such signs along the many narrow roads I travelled in 2018.
Cheers, D
We actually ride in Scotland all the time, we did about 120'ish yesterday in the Borders and East Lothian coast.
But walking holidays and bikes don't seem to work together too well.
Last year was the Scottish year when we decided to stop at home and when the sun came out it was time to head North, the trouble is you can wait a long time for the sun in Scotland.
Glad you've visited it.
Upt'North.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Nice to see a sign called "passing place" and the rocks piled in some cairns. Here we call them "cemeteries" and not passing places and use tomb stones :)

All kidding aside thanks for taking us along vicariously with you and your lot's excursion.

Obo.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Over the last couple of weeks I watched some YouTube videos on Bike travel in Scotland and was impressed by the scenery and the narrow roads on the west coast were something interesting as well. Seems easy to find a pub even in the most isolated places‍♂

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My 'Wing buddy has been to Scotland with a mutual friend (who has since passed) and and from what he described the friend's remote home village was picturesque but made Shetland look like a 5-star resort. (Not that that's a bad thing...)

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Great pics, Ray! I got up that way a couple of times while I was living in bonny Scotland - always loved those remote, windswept landscapes. I almost expect to see Viking longboats sailing through those channels!

Thanks for the memories! :)

Patty

Reactions: Obo

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Scottish Borders! Good on you UN. It must be a joy riding there. The Borders is an area I enjoyed a couple of weeks idling around. Beautiful, and I found it easy to be on the road alone, and without a rear vision mirror full of black Range Rover.
D

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Scottish Borders! Good on you UN. It must be a joy riding there. The Borders is an area I enjoyed a couple of weeks idling around. Beautiful, and I found it easy to be on the road alone, and without a rear vision mirror full of black Range Rover.
D
This one's for you then D, earlier this year near Peebles.
20200721_144416.jpg

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Maybe the Tweed River is hiding over the bank in front of your ST :)
a beautiful part of Scotland. On my list for a return one day.
Thank you, D

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
The Highland Cattle are a beautiful animal, there is craft brewery near here that keeps half a dozen of them.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Even further NW is Durness!
Still no wet feet....but it is out there. Visited there several years ago on a driving vacation of Skye and the Highlands. Wife liked the little garden park in memory of John Lennon.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My oldest son , MSgt in the USAF is stationed in RAF Lakenheath now . During this COVID deal he is also converting a Ford Transit van diesel into a mini RV , his plans are to tour Scotland because we are about 1/3 Scottish according to Ancestry . Any other "must see" places he should go see in Scotland ?

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
My oldest son , MSgt in the USAF is stationed in RAF Lakenheath now . During this COVID deal he is also converting a Ford Transit van diesel into a mini RV , his plans are to tour Scotland because we are about 1/3 Scottish according to Ancestry . Any other "must see" places he should go see in Scotland ?
TN, depends what he wants to see and do. I personally like the quieter parts, Moidart, Sunart, Northern Wester Ross etc, but the Moray Firth is a grand area too. I'm sure he'll know but progress can be slow on the back roads.
These two photographs are Glenfinnan and Moidart.
Upt'North.
Scotland Bike Trip 2019 056-PANO.jpg20190714_152424.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Definitely stop at one of the 'heritage' centers - you can get a map of the location of all the clans and a sample of your 'tartan' if you know your clan. I'm from the McPhersons - Northwest Highlanders. Places to see - tons of them - Applecross, John O'Groats (just to say so), Oban, Skye ....

Top Bottom