Gloves What gloves do you wear for daily riding?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Another vote for Held Steve gloves. They have nice padding on the palm with rivet like slide protection. Wash them with water and soap at the end of the season and they clean right up. I have the Aerostich Ropers, but I find them too thick. I also have the Lee Parks gloves and same thing feel too bulky. I rotate wearing them, but always come back to the Held gloves.

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Was using their measuring guide key to a proper fit for you?

Cheers
Yes, it was very helpful. However, like someone else mentioned, I too have large palms with (relatively) short fingers so the gloves fit my palm well but the fingers are a bit too long. But that is the case with almost any gloves that fit my hand.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Elkskin Ropers for me. After one minor get-off, I’m glad I had them. Yes, the gloves had some major rash on them, but my hands did not.
Aerostich elkskin ropers
Add my vote for the Aerostich elkskin ropers. In my crash I bounced, skidded, and rolled. No damage to my hands though one glove clearly took a hit.

Their sizing instructions were important to getting the proper fit.

As I remember it the gloves are made by someone else. What makes them motorcycle gloves is the rubber squeegee in the seam of the left thumb. Great for clearing the visor in wet conditions.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
For summer I used Tourmaster mesh with leather on the palms but switched to Five TFXair mesh with armored knuckles and a hard plastic palm heel slider.
Cooler temps I have Oxford gauntlets with hard knuckles, a bit bulky. Got a new pair of Sedici gauntlets with knuckles and palm slider to try out next, less bulky than Oxfords.
Sill looking for a true waterproof over glove, if that really exists, to add to the collection. Soaked 5 pairs on the RollingRockSToc in two days last summer.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bike
2005 st1300
If I wear any kind of rubber (or nitrile) gloves, my hands WILL sweat.
YMMV*

Your Moisture May Vary
I am the same. I wear nitrile when I am doing messy stuff at home and my hands sweat profusely. BUT, someone here stated that if you put the nitrile glove OVER the bike glove, there is enough gap that sweating is not an issue. I have yet to try it. I just bought a separate pair of rain gloves, so I can still wear vented gloves in the dry.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1675889629233.pngMy first port of call is a pair of gloves that I can get my hand in.

I'm not kidding. Most shops don't stock, or cannot get gloves that are large enough for me. It's the distance knuckle to knuckle that is the problem. 4 inches open hand, 4.5 inches if I'm forming a fist.

Held have been the first gove that I have come across that didn't need breaking in. I don't think the Held Teramid is available any more - but they look like this model on the left. Textile and leather mixture with knuckle protection and a genuine Goretex membrane. They don't get water logged in the persistant rain and they are quite warm - and work well with heated grips onsetting 2 (out of 3). The Goretext hasn't let me down either - which has been a problem before when squeezing into not quite large enough gloves. It doesn't 'give' like the leather or this textile cordura like material, and over time, the water proof seam gives way. No such problem with this glove.

My jacket has a storm cuff, which fits inside the glove and an outer which goes over the glove. The glove accommodates fitting over or under the jacket cuff. They still feel dry on the inside after stopping in rain for a meal, and they have enough give to make it not impossible if your hands get slightly damp while putting on your helmet.

The protection is Ok - although there must be better gloves for that. But I reckon that the protection work best if your hand is inside the glove, and most manufacturers seem to fall at the first hurdle as far as I am concerned.

These have been an excellent buy.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
Screenshot_20230209-122611.png
Unfortunately I've crash tested quite a few gloves. The palm heel area WILL take a hard impact and abrasion. My experience is that the cheap/comfy felt palm gloves tear away immediately. (I do think that the hard impact is where your hand tears the worst, so you still get some protection). With better gloves that have a leather/plastic slider, I experienced enough meat left to steer myself to a stop with my hands. (You will also test the ass of your overpants and wear a funny flat spot on the rear of your (hopefully) riding boots.

I'm on my second pair of Cortech scarabs, and they faired pretty well through quite a bit of riding and a couple slow offs. They do disintegrate after 30k miles or so, but I haven't found a glove that doesn't.

In the heat I wear leather/mesh Komodos that come about an inch beyond my watch, however I expect significantly less protection from them.

My last recommendation would be something with substantial wrist gauntlet straps. I have about a 50% wrist injury rate during slow crashes, and they always seem to take forever to sort of heal.

Top Bottom