What would you replace the ST1300 with?

One problem with any new bike (including my first ST1300), was the dialing in for the bike to fit you and your needs.

It took me several years to dial in my '05. But once I got it there, I can't see trying to replace the ST1300, except with another one. My second, third and fourth ST1300s were all wrecks when I bought them, and since I already knew what I needed to do to each one when I was rebuilding them, it wasn't an issue, like starting from scratch. When I bought the 2012, new, again, I knew what I needed to do with it.

So here I am now, rebuilding the '04#1 again (since it started sitting back in 2015), and I know what it needs to make it like the '10 & '12 that I still have, but I've decided that it will have less on it, because I'm not sure how much I'll be riding it. :shrug1:

So, with 3 ST1300s in my stable and now living with a fixed income, I probably won't even worry about trying to replace them with anything "New". I might consider trading one for one of my previous type bikes. Maybe...:think1:

Last edited:
I've bounced around a little... once I got a Wing I loved it but wanted more sporty so went to an ST1300 but then wanted more touring / weather protection.. so back to a Wing.. then wanted more sporty so back to an ST1300... lol

Then, both felt too heavy for me and I wanted to dip my toes into the ADV market so Vstrom 650 and Super Tenere were tried... the Super Ten is a great bike but I never liked the gearing in twisties.. but still put almost 60k on that bike so a favorite and I still wouldn't mind it as a 2nd bike.

Then, I thought I wanted REAL sporty so went with the Tracer 900 GT.. Wonderful bike, light, very quick, loved riding it in the twisties.. however, range is not as good as wanted and wind/weather protection wasn't good at all. There was a lot of buffeting that I could never address. Still would do 1100 mile days but it was tiring..

Enter the RT... has that sporty feel but does not feel heavy at slow speeds and the 1250 is great in my opinion.. some say they are buzzy but I don't notice it. Great range and wind protection and the luggage is a good size. The tech is great.. I like the TFT screen as it's easy to see and configure. The adaptive headlight is great in the twisties and the auto-leveling headlight seems to work well also. I don't have to ever reset a trip meter after getting fuel, just look at the miles to empty display and it will let you know when you are a few miles from reserve which is just over a gallon... that's typically 220-ish plus depending on riding.

I'm hoping valve checks will be easy.. there's very little plastic that has to come off for that and BMW have made final drive changes that finally match what Honda has been doing for years so I feel the bike will be reliable. I feel like I finally found a bike that checks off all the boxes for me. If Honda would have done something with the ST or VFR.. things would be different but at least there are options out there.

The big Versys would be something I might have looked at as well. I didn't like the FJR, just siting on it it felt too heavy. I considered another Wing, a DCT... but since I had 2 previously I was afraid I would still feel they were heavy over time...

Anyway, if what you have works for you.. keep it.. if you can swing a 2nd bike maybe that is an option as well.

Curb weight of the NT1100 is 238kg (525lbs) - with DCT it's 248kg (547lbs). Panniers are standard (in Europe, anyway) so I assume that's included in the weight.

just turned 72,000 miles today

Mine is at 178,000 miles, so yours is just broke in. Others here have 350k plus miles on theirs.
So do not make a mistake that you will later regret. You still feel that the Honda is hard to beat.
Trade in just the Victory for something else.
If the ST later grows cobwebs then let it go.

With the level of riding I do (mostly A->A rides and the occasional tour), I’d just assume keep what I have - I really like the ST1100 despite its age and the fact that many other bikes out there are more up to date, more tech, etc. It checks all the boxes for me. I really do like the Silverwing as well so It’s nice to switch off on the different bikes - that bike only has 7300 miles on it, so mechanically it’s like new, but I’m in the process of some body rehab for it (prior owners dropped it a couple of times), but it’s getting back to near new condition (just bought some bodywork for it). When I can’t handle the STs well (and that’s a long way off), I’ll just keep the Silverwing.

I like all bikes (new and old) actually, I’m just too cheap to get a new one (I’m part time now, so I don’t make the same net pay I did~ 6 months ago- that said, I’m only working 2 days a week, which is great!!!!).

Bought a FJR but still like the ST for comfort . FJR motor is amazing and the cruise electronic stuff makes it a very nice bike . Wind protection is not near as good as the ST but it rides well ,handles well and gets the same mileage . Much smaller tank on the FJR ,cheaper to fill .

Bought a FJR but still like the ST for comfort . FJR motor is amazing and the cruise electronic stuff makes it a very nice bike . Wind protection is not near as good as the ST but it rides well ,handles well and gets the same mileage . Much smaller tank on the FJR ,cheaper to fill .
Smaller tank? Cheaper to fill? :rofl1:

Unexpected bonus, you're closer to home! (less range)

I replaced the '05 ST1300 with an '06 Wing in 2018 when my wife wanted to start riding with me. It's been great for that and still fun "enough" to ride solo but I began to miss a dedicated sport tourer for solo riding. After a year without the ST I bought a 15 year old BMW R1200RT and couldn't be happier. It's much lighter than an ST, handles a bit better, and lays down the miles just as comfortably plus No Heat! So when I sold the ST I got two bikes out of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom