What would you replace the ST1300 with?

I bought a Kawasaki Concours 1400 a couple of years ago and rode it back to the Tail of the Dragon. Still thinking of going over to Richies Seats to have a seat made for me as the seat was killing me. The first thing that surprised me was how much taller it was than the ST 1300.
Unfortunately I had sold the 04 ST 1300 to pay for it. Did see it for sale at a considerable amount more than I sold it for, with a lot of BS written about it. After confronting the current owner with the truth of the bikes history I was able to reacquire it for less than I sold it for and am restoring it back to what it was before I sold it. I Will not part with it again........ever. For long haul it beat the Connie hands down for comfort and ease of operation. I am not a real fan of a bunch of farkles.
The Concours really did shine at the Dragon and was a blast when I let it out somewhere in the Midwest. It does make the sport of sport touring work.
With the ST if you are smooth and it is the better bike for long haul riding and can hustle just fine when it is pushed.
Mine had 120000 miles on it and was not in any way shape or form of needing much to get it into shape. The problems have been mostly cosmetic, there really is no reason to replace it with anything. I think it will run forever.
Nothing was more comfortable for my wife to ride 2 up, I think we put about 15000 miles on it 2up without even thinking about trouble in any conditions. I have rode it in snow, hail, wind storms, ice storm, heat, and was only focused on my abilities and never about the bikes capabilities to handle it.

Well said, I added GPS, Heated grips, slip ons, high pressure fuel valve, battery monitor and gear indicator. My friend said, since you love your bike just upgrade things on it. My only option now would be to go from Zumo 550 to the new XT and I cannot see why to pay $500 when it's not broken why fix it.
"high pressure fuel valve "?!!!
What are these things, can you say more about them?

"high pressure fuel valve "?!!!
What are these things, can you say more about them?
Stock fuel pressure regulator replaced with a regulator set to a higher pressure.
Said to smooth out low RPM throttle snatchiness by reducing low RPM lean fuel burn
If you do a search you will find a lot of people who swear that this transformed their motorcycle at low RPM, increased power, reduced fuel consumption, etc..
If you do a search you will find a lot of people who swear that this did not transform their motorcycle at low RPM, did not increase power, did not reduce fuel consumption, etc..

Below are a couple threads.
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Is the fuel pressure regulator mod still available?

Depends. It's likely to be an Ebike at some point. Hope their range improves. The Dallas/Fort Worth complex is near 100 miles north to south and east to west.....barely the range of a current single charge. I'm a bit concerned.
Plus side, the way my ST's are holding up, they may be my last bikes.

Plus side, the way my ST's are holding up, they may be my last bikes.
Plus side, the way my birthdays have accumulated, the ST and 1250 GS/A will be "among" my last bikes.
Just wish my garage would grow in size to match my age, but alas, garage space appears to be reducing in inverse proportion.
Insofar as e-bikes, I'm looking at the motorized unicycle or the One Wheel. The videos of these things are just... rad, dude!

InMotion unicycle
One Wheel

...and gets the same mileage . Much smaller tank on the FJR ,cheaper to fill .
My 2016 FJR gets about 5% better gas mileage than my 2007 ST1300. And since the FJR runs on regular, it results in the total gas cost being around 20% lower than my ST - if that matters to you. The FJR tank is a little smaller, but only by about a gallon. On longer trips I get around 300 miles on the FJR tank, which is plenty I think (I recall 330 miles on my ST). In town more like 250 miles (vs. my ST 280 miles). Bottom line: about 30 miles better range on the ST, but FJR 20% cheaper to operate from a pure gas perspective.

Subject title is a bit misleading...I have moved on to a 1050 V Strom for various reasons; but there is no replacement for the old 2006 ST.
Your reply is even more misleading, old Honda ST's are being replaced; accept that fact. ;)

Ride to any ST event and every year more and more ST's are replaced, many with BMW's, Yamaha's or other bikes/ scooters. A few are replaced with 3 or even 4 wheels as more and more body parts are being replaced. Yes: hips, shoulders, and knees ARE also being replaced. :rofl1:

Tom

I have a 2008 Honda ST1300 and a Victory 06 Hammer. I just turned 72,000 miles today! I had time at work and was checking out new motorcycles. I even went to a dealer for Indian, BMW, Triumph and Ducati. I was thinking of selling both for a BMW R8, until I sat on one. Too heavy and the boxer engine is way too wide, definitely will hit a car when splitting lanes (if someone does that). I did not like any of the bikes I saw. They are either huge, small or adventure bikes. Also a lot of bobbers. I cannot see how any of these motorcycles are better than the Honda. I added a GPS, TPS, etc. so how can these bikes compare? Thoughts?
Nothing!

Hah! Kidding. Well I had the same question. I read a bunch of reviews. Talked to owners of different bikes. I knew what I wanted which was something a little more comfortable with a fee more options already built-in. I was checking the same models as you, I'm guessing? FJR, Concourse, GXR 1000, BMW K1200 RT etcetera. I was also look8ng at adventure bikes. Not enough wind and weather protection me thought. Then on day a couple of years ago i was at my local dealer and they had a Triumph Trophy in the showroom. I couldn't believe how comfortable the seat was. The price tag thru me. "Maybe some day."
We that day came. I bought a 2015 Trophy SE. I'm really quite happy with it so far. The other option was that BMW RT. However I like my current dealer better.
My 2 cents.
Dave

this year i'll be selling my 2011 R1200 GSA. its a fine bike but never fit me right and lately the vibration has become an issue and i don't think any of the 1250 models would have less character. i know i don't want a bike that weighs more than my ST 1100 or ST 1300. i haven't had a chance to even sit on an FJR 1300

Nothing on the market excites me. If I had to move from the ST it would be a new Goldwing. I don't care for the look of anything else. The insectoid look of much of the styling is very off-putting to me. All that said, I've argued and will continue to argue, that the ST is the best possible deal-for the money! Nothing even comes close to the capabilities for the price. Since I'm mechanically inclined, I'll likely be riding an ST1100 for a long, long time. There are simply too many available, good clean rides, and parts bikes, to not do so. So to all those owners who are dumping them for "parts availability" or simply because you can't fix them I thank you in advance. You'll likely keep me going until I can't ride anymore.

The biggest issue with the ST1100 is you have to become your own 'wrench' and 'parts house' since Honda shops will not touch them.
The same thing will happen to the ST1300 as time passes also - and any other machine with some age on it.
Nowadays if most 'mechanics' can't plug in a 'reader' into a motorcycle or automobile and have it tell them what is wrong, they can't 'fix' it. ;)
But sometimes that's like a crazy man diagnosing himself - he's fine, it's the rest of the world that's crazy! :biggrin:

All that said, I've argued and will continue to argue, that the ST is the best possible deal-for the money! Nothing even comes close to the capabilities for the price
A Kawasaki Versys 1000 certainly checks my deal-for the money/ capability box. Never owned one, I have riden one, but I didn't park it at a Holiday Inn Express overnight. :thumb:

Tom

The funny thing is that everyone has different expectations and requirements for their next bike. I hadn't had a chain driven bike in 50 years, but I wanted to keep riding and so got over the thought of having a chain. You just have to check them out and see what fits your saddle.

I've been toying with adding a bike to the ST but I am having a problem figuring out what I would add that would give me what the ST already doesn't. I'm not much of a dirt rider and maybe something lighter around town but honestly, it's not such an issue that it warrants another bike. Course, maybe if I tried something else, I might really like it. In addition to the ST of course. I have seen a couple versions of my first bike, a '76 Yamaha RD400 for sale but I'm not sure nostalgia is worth what it would take to either get them running or what people are asking for ones that do. Still, as far as conundrums go, this isn't a bad one to have. If money were no object, those RT1250's sure look pretty.

I've been toying with adding a bike to the ST but I am having a problem figuring out what I would add that would give me what the ST already doesn't.
A little "roundabout" for getting around town for short trips / errands could be fun.
I test rode a KTM (to which I'm still partial - don't hate me) 390 Duke, and it was a flipping HOOT!! to ride.
Get-up-and-go (with appropriate RPMs), so very light and flickable, easy to turn in parking lots, no weight at all (when compared to the ST), and could do a LOT for me except haul a trailer with my dog, and travel 5 or 6 hours away on the interstate motorway. I did actually take it on the freeway for about 20 miles, and it was fine, 70 and 75mph was ok but it didn't have much more to give... but there's a big difference in butt fatigue, between 20 minutes and 300 minutes.
It was just a ton of fun, but without 2000lbs worth. I would like to have one.
But even buying a used KTM 390 at this point, you'd still be spending more dollars for it than for any ST, methinks.

I'm torn. I'm not quite ready to replace my 2010 ST1300, but I do think a lot about what's next.

Weight: I would really like a lighter bike. I had a Suzuki TU250 and a Suzuki Savage 650. They were great fun (especially the TU250) and I loved their light weight, but they weren't good for long rides.

Pillion: My wife totally enjoyed the GoldWing we rented and I was leaning in that direction, but lately she's not as interested in touring.

Classic: I'm especially fond of the new Triumph Bonneville because they strike a very strong nostalgia nerve, but I have to accept that I won't be doing any more serious multi-day tours with a bike like that. (sure, it can be done, but not like with a GoldWing)

Leanings: Keep my ST1300 until cost of repairs not longer makes sense and get a second bike for local use like a Bonneville when I'm comfortable spending that much money and also when I'm comfortable giving up garage space for second bike (I Only have a 1 car garage and there's a lot of other things in there also)

Back
Top Bottom