Where did the recommendation for Honda M-77 Assembly Paste start?

Yea, the only component i found that might be close is "synthetic graphite".

I saw that too and wondered if that's the 'high moly content'.

'We got moly well not moly but something just as good well sorta moly-like'. Maybe they should have said 'High Molly Content'.

If it works it works. But when the time comes I'd prefer something more substantial.

I'm just glad that after about 240,000 shaft drive miles I have about 10% of the tube of Honda M60 I bought in 2006. For good measure I bought another tube several years ago. I should be set for a while yet.

I've been using Gaurd Dog 525, I've got a small tub of it. It's what i use on my bmw airheads, but now it too is n/a. I'm going to give Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop a call and see what he's using now instead of the Gaurd Dog. I will report back if anyone is interested. Chunk.

OK, I've read the tread.... Seems everyone is right but why not make life simple.... Loctite Moly Paste has 65% moly, readily available... Nuff said, what am I missing?

:plus1: I'm just interested in finding something with at least 40% moly that costs less, since I'm retired and on a fixed income. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Last edited:
I've been using Gaurd Dog 525, I've got a small tub of it. It's what i use on my bmw airheads, but now it too is n/a. I'm going to give Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop a call and see what he's using now instead of the Gaurd Dog. I will report back if anyone is interested. Chunk.

GD-525 is still available through TS-Moly.

I've been using Gaurd Dog 525, I've got a small tub of it. It's what i use on my bmw airheads, but now it too is n/a. I'm going to give Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop a call and see what he's using now instead of the Gaurd Dog. I will report back if anyone is interested.

Yes, please post up your findings after talking to Ted.

GD-525 is still available through TS-Moly.
Thanks for the tip. I went to their site and they do have it listed for sale. I'll call or email them after the holiday as well and report that as well. Chunk.

OK, I think this will be my last post on this subject - promise !! EDIT: I rescind my promise. I have more info to share.

So, I woke up this morning and thought, maybe I can mix some 30% GD-525 with some 70% TS-70 and come up with a 45% mix ( a little more more than the required 40% specified by Honda, to be on the safe side ) that can save me some money per oz. over buying only TS-70. But then I noticed that the GD-525 is about the same price as the TS-70 ( about $33 ), BUT you only get 4 oz. of GD-525 compared to 8 oz. of TS-70 !!! That doesn't make sense to me !! So scratch that idea.

Then I did another search and came up with this product : Jet-Lube MP-50 . It's 50% moly paste and comes in a 16 oz. size at about the same price as 8 oz. of TS-70. So it's half the cost per oz. as TS-70. I just ordered a bottle.

Last edited:
maybe I can mix some 30% GD-525 with some 70% TS-70 and come up with a 45% mix ( a little more more than the required 40% specified by Honda, to be on the safe side )

Ok I know you expected this to be your last post on this but I'm curious— you have some GD-525 and were considering bringing it up to spec and not bringing the TS-70 down because it was too much moly?

So since I was one of the ones that bought the M-77 stuff, in reality, is it ok just to use it and go with the flow??

I wonder if we should be considering our application, rather than just the Moly content? And is the Moly solid content by weight, or volume? Does that matter?
What about heat issues? Some Assembly lubes are designed to wash out after break in. The Moly grease the manual recommends for the splines and u-joint area, are different than the rear wheel spines also :rolleyes:
Maybe we shouldn't get caught up searching for the highest Moly content, and focus on the application.

Honda only says products with at least 40% MoS2. Some of the ones they also recommend contain more than that.

Then I did another search and came up with this product : Jet-Lube MP-50 . It's 50% moly paste and comes in a 16 oz. size at about the same price as 8 oz. of TS-70. So it's half the cost per oz. as TS-70. I just ordered a bottle.

That looks interesting - except they won't ship to UK! NGLI 2.5 - so slightly stiffer; large temp range; and film strength up to 300,000psi and 'sticks tenaciously to the surface. MoS2 content is between 40 and 50% - they won't say as it is a trade secret ! Info obtained from the SDS and TDS pdf files on this page.

Ok I know you expected this to be your last post on this but I'm curious— you have some GD-525 and were considering bringing it up to spec and not bringing the TS-70 down because it was too much moly?

No, I have neither. I have been using CV u-joint grease, but I'm not sure it has at least a 40% moly content. I don't want to lose any sleep over that, even with my clear conscience and short memory. And thanks for making me break my promise by doing an additional post on this thread - very clever of you.

Last edited:
Honda only says products with at least 40% MoS2. Some of the ones they also recommend contain more than that.

That looks interesting - except they won't ship to UK! NGLI 2.5 - so slightly stiffer; large temp range; and film strength up to 300,000psi and 'sticks tenaciously to the surface. MoS2 content is between 40 and 50% - they won't say as it is a trade secret ! Info obtained from the SDS and TDS pdf files on this page.

Do you know anyone who will be traveling to the States or Canada in the near future ? I know of a guy from London who years ago would have his buddy from London load up on vintage Triumph parts at "Triumph Only" ( now "British Only" ) in Detroit whenever his buddy was in Detroit on business.

Last edited:
So, how do we know Honda M-77 assembly paste contains only 20% moly ? Any spec sheet available ? Some guy on the CTX1300 Forum thinks it's 77% moly. ( I don't ). A person on this Forum thinks Honda M-77 assembly paste and Dow Corning M-77 are the same ( I think that may be true ).

The DC spec sheet says DC M-77 has a moly content between 50% & 70 %.

I'm beginning to think Honda M-77 Assembly paste has more than a 20 % moly content because most moly "pastes" contain a much higher moly content than 20% , so maybe it is the same as DC M-77. And at $20 for 2.65 oz. , it better have.

Last edited:
Larry sent me some pictures of a wheel that had had Honda M77 Paste applied - mentioned in post #1. He says:

This was half way through a tire change.
I found that the M-77 had dried up like dirt and flaked off the splines.
You'll also notice that it didn't protect the inner hub, and you could see rust starting!​

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom