Where did you ride today?

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I see the "What did you do to your ST today?" thread is up to 365 pages. Maybe it's time we have an ongoing "Where did you ride today?" thread. It might be nice to hear where and how long other ride when you get a chance to ride.

You ride to work? You go for a short day ride? You just back from a long ride?

We may as well start a thread an tell each other how great any ride we had was when we ride.

I just did a short get out and about 20 mile ride. I rode down Pensacola's Scenic Highway which meanders down the western edge of Escambia bay Florida. Looped back through town and back to the house. The old ST1300 is running fine and the weather was blue skies and near 85 degrees. Great day for a ride.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
New screen name Raymond?

OP
OP
W0QNX

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well another 88 degree partly cloudy day so I rode the bike down the Scenic Bluffs Highway again and visited a boat ramp near the 3 mile bridge that crosses over Pensacola Bay.

Just a few miles maybe 22 or so but the view was nice.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well another 88 degree partly cloudy day so I rode the bike down the Scenic Bluffs Highway again and visited a boat ramp near the 3 mile bridge that crosses over Pensacola Bay.

Just a few miles maybe 22 or so but the view was nice.
No picture?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Old screen name, before Ziamon. But yes it's still Raymond.
HOW??? I want to be a new man as well...and love the idea of this thread.

I rode to coffee, I rode to the airport, I rode to coffee, I rode home, I rode and practiced my defensive driving skills every minute of all my riding today, and mostly because I had to. :( So not place exciting today, but I still got to ride in a sunny 18C day here. What a change in weather.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Great new thread. I put 50 miles on the beast last Friday. Plan to take a trip to Athens, GA (GO DAWGS!) Tuesday for a 100 miler.
Ride safe out there!
Alan

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
No pics for me... but rode out to breakfast (all 2 miles) and back. I am running very rich and need to rebuild the carbs. Winter is fast approaching and this may be the last ride... I certainly hope not. But nights are in the 20's and the daytime temps keep lowering... I hate winter, it came too early this year.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
To the Baltimore area office. Left before dawn, to check whether my recent headlight adjustment had raised the low beam enough. Could use a bit more.

Also allowed me to time it so that I was off the road before sun was in driver's eyes, rendering me invisible when travelling east west.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Work. 23c, fantastic! Others were out and agreeing. "Motocycles like mosquitos", a family member stated...

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Well, since you asked....(and I know it isn't an ST trip, but what the heck....):

I set off from the Disaster Central Workshop in Windsor, ON (right across the river from Detroit, Michigan) at about 7:30 AM on Sat. Oct. 13 in a frosty haze. My '76 Yamaha XS650 Standard, Lucille
started - somewhat reluctantly - but she soon settled down to that nice steady loping sound that we love about our XS650s. The engine oil temperature on my Dogbunny thermo-dipstick was way down in the "low" zone. Frankly, I had so many layers of clothing on and my faceshield was misted so badly, that I couldn't bend over far enough to read the number. Therefore, I avoided revving to try to prevent caving in the sump screen. The skies were totally overcast and threatening and as I rode past the puddle that always seems to form at the end of our driveway, I noticed a skim of ice on it. Hmmmm...at that moment, I had three distinct thoughts:
  1. WOW - those weather reports must have been a bit optimistic about the temps around here;
  2. What the heck am I doing? I'm in my 7th decade and I am going to ride several hundred miles with two other similarly aged chaps on 40+ year old motorcycles in THIS kind of weather - just for fun? I must be an even bigger idiot than many people say....
  3. OK - so, its a bit "fresh" outside. What the he!! - I'm a Canadian - aren't I? We are the Frozen Chosen - not like those wussies who don't ride after Labour Day.
Anyhow - on the way out of town I stopped for fuel and then got going to my first waypoint at the home of my riding buddy, Lakeview, near Chatham, ON. The distance is around 45 miles on nice secondary roads and at first, it went fine. Then, around 10 miles from his place, it started to rain - just a bit - but it doesn't take much rain at those temperatures to make you danged chilly. Fortunately, the rain stopped after a few minutes and I soon arrived to find Lakeview's bike and gear set outside his shop. Now, he was wisely ensconced inside where it was warm. He kindly invited me in to thaw and after a few minutes, I was OK again. We went back outside and - HALLELUJAH - the sun was out! Any temperature rise was purely ceremonial - but it FELT warmer and that was good. I put on my rain pants and that helped keep my upper thighs dry and warm for the remainder of the day - quite comfy actually!

We set-off for London - another 75 miles or so - to pick-up RobinC who had also (unwisely?) accepted my foolish invitation. That ride was a bit tougher as we started out on the big 6-laner Hwy 401 to avoid plowing through the city of Chatham. The 401 is the busiest highway in North America according to many sources, and so Lakeview and I had to goose the two old '76 XS650 twins up to around 65-70 MPH against a substantial east wind to "keep up with the Jones". The bikes did OK and the sunshine helped light the way for us quite nicely. In London, I resorted to my iPhone nav system to get us to Robin's home where his bike was out waiting for our arrival. There we hatched the plan for the day:
  • I had to hit a pharmacy for some bandages (I got a dose of poison ivy pulling a downed tree off the Tail of the Dragon roadway on the Vintage Yamaha Rally trip two weeks ago and the raw skin on my wrists was getting chewed-up by the cuffs on my gloves) plus we needed to be sure to have a safety pee (we're old duffers 'ya know...);
  • then we would take the twisty scenic route down to Port Stanley which is a beach town on Lake Erie for a hamburger at Mackie's famous beachfront diner and fun emporium.
Here are a couple of photos of the three bikes (one with Lakeview himself) at the plaza where we did the first set of tasks (and thanks Robin for gently applying the dressings to my poor old wrist). NOTE: the Tim Horton's in the background - did I mention that we are Canadians? Check out Lakeview's very tidy red 1976 - kick-only bike and Robin's beautifully polished '77D...and of course...dear old Lucille with the three-tone striping (very 1970's) in all her scratched and dented glory.

After all of those preliminaries, we headed out for Port Stanley and what a great ride it was! The temperature had gone up considerably (possibly as high as 10 or even 11C - which is about 50 deg. F) and so we three Canucks were all toasty warm. We rode south through the Railroad City of St. Thomas, ON where Ford used to build all of the big Crown Victoria police cars that are used by coppers everywhere in North America (that Talbotville Ass'y Plant is now, sadly, closed).
St. Thomas is also where P.T. Barnum's Jumbo the Elephant died in 1885 as a result of being struck by a Grand Trunk Railway freight train. It really was a terrible tragedy - here is a contemporary artist's conception of the accident. Apparently, the circus people were using the railroad right of way to move their animals from the paddock to the performance area and a train came along unexpectedly.

After St. Thomas, the road became narrower and more twisty (fun!) and ran through some pretty little villages and forest country until eventually, the countryside opened up as we headed west across Elgin County toward the Port. However, the wind had now switched direction and was strongly from the west (our direction of travel). Nonetheless, we really enjoyed the twisty roads and even found an old gas station for another bike beauty shot.

...or two....

During this part of the ride I would estimate our average ground speed at about 55-60 MPH but our air speed was closer to 80-85 MPH as the wind was danged strong. It sure felt like we were doing "the ton". Anyhow - all was fine with the bikes and my thermo-dipstick was staying steady at just about 200 deg. F. I was delighted with Lucille's performance - after the recent re-build, she has tons of power and sounds nice and quiet with those Porsche elephant's foot adjusters from Air Cooled Specialities. In fact, all three bikes ran like tops the whole day and Lakeview got first-kick starts just about every time.
We soon arrived at the pretty little town of Port Stanley - one of many such towns along the north shore of Lake Erie. Port Stanley is named after Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby who visited the area in the 19th century. Incidentally, Edward was the father of Frederick Stanley (16th Earl of Derby) who became the Governor General of Canada and donated the first Stanley Cup (the National Hockey League championship cup) in 1893.
The town has a beautiful sandy beach and is very popular in the summertime as Erie is normally quite warm. This year, the lake reportedly hit 80 deg. F (around 26C) which for a large freshwater lake in Canada is pretty danged warm. Of course, the south coast of Lake Erie is formed by our good friends and neighbours in the US - perhaps the high levels of "energy" presently occurring there accounts for the warm waters....

Here is a typical Port Stanley summer scene - and please note, it did not look like this on Saturday.

The lifeguards were brunettes this past weekend.

At Port Stanley, the typical bill of fare is beach food and so we hit the most prominent location - Mackie's Diner - which has been there since 1911 (well over a century). Three burgers and assorted fries (no relation), onion rings and poutine (aka Quebec-style heart attack-on-a-plate) were downed and it all tasted great! A couple of people quizzed us about the old bikes which is always fun too.

Mackie's is a very bike-friendly place with dedicated motorcycle-only parking (to avoid stupid arrogant little twits who knock over bikes with their stupid flipping VW Golf GTI pseudo-sports cars...sorry - DAMHIK).
Here is a shot of the three XS650s safely sited in the Bike-Only lot and behind the windows are picnic-style tables so that riders can keep an eye open - just in case.

You may note that there were NO other motorcycles that day....perhaps they went elsewhere or perhaps they stayed home where it was warm and toasty.
Anyhow, after our meal, we sat around and chewed the fat for a little while but soon, the open road beckoned once again and so after saying good bye to RobinC who rode back home to London, Lakeview and I headed west along the lake shore road and got to his place in the late afternoon. I then carried on to Windsor - figuring I would be low on fuel when I got home. In fact, I went on reserve about 6 miles from home right in front of a gas station so I filled up and toddled back to the DCW in good order.
All-in-all it was a wonderful day with great riding buddies and three superb old bikes.
When I put Lucille to bed, I had covered 323 miles. Here is a map with our approximate route laid-out in yellow hi-lighter.

Amazingly, Sunday was an even nicer day (who could have known?) and I put another 110 miles on Lucille doing various vital and important "errands" in Leamington, Kingsville, Amherstburg and points there-abouts etc. for a total of nearly 450 miles this weekend.
Cheers,
Pete

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
To work, on my way home, I'm picking up a Smuggler to send off to Steny365, in Ireland. After that on home.

Probably 140 miles total today!

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
So jealous! I am out of town and looking to rent a bike. Unfortunately....NGAT[emoji22] no gear at all.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom