Where to Mount Dual USB Port?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a very similar one, also connected to my auxiliary fuse block under my seat. It's mounted here (blue circle, but that's not my bike)...

1615906387090.png

I typically check the voltage just after starting and sometimes when running down the road (14.1-14.4V). This mounting position allows me to run USB cables from there up inside my tank bag. To be honest though, I don't use the USB much as I generally just keep a high capacity battery pack in my tank bag... my phone and extra Sena are plugged into that, especially when raining.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I mounted a very similar one in the left grill. Works good there although reading the voltage is difficult because of the angle of sight from the seat. One of these days I am going to get around to making a couple of spacers out of PVC pipe so that I can angle it up a bit so it is easier to read.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a very similar one, also connected to my auxiliary fuse block under my seat. It's mounted here (blue circle, but that's not my bike)...

1615906387090.png

I typically check the voltage just after starting and sometimes when running down the road (14.1-14.4V). This mounting position allows me to run USB cables from there up inside my tank bag. To be honest though, I don't use the USB much as I generally just keep a high capacity battery pack in my tank bag... my phone and extra Sena are plugged into that, especially when raining.
I've got my driving light switch there. I thought about putting the USB there but it's such a pain disconnecting my driving light switch everytime I remove the fairing. Plus I would have to put it on the right side because I don't have room on the left with my other switch. This is on a 1300.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just got a USB charging port.
That is some slick little kit! I like it! That's going to go into the Box of Farkles That May or May Not Get installed. A lot of these type units look cheesy but even close up it looks well done. Thanks for posting!

Just a personal thing but stuff mounted in the speaker grille always looks forced or cobbled to me. I'd like to cover the grilles with a solid panel so the installations look cleaner.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I mounted a very similar one in the left grill. Works good there although reading the voltage is difficult because of the angle of sight from the seat. One of these days I am going to get around to making a couple of spacers out of PVC pipe so that I can angle it up a bit so it is easier to read.
Do you have a picture of yours?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Here are some pics of mine. I have also mounted a regular cigarette lighter plug in the right grill.
A couple of things to keep in mind.
1. mount the rubber cover so that it hinges from the bottom otherwise you will not be able to see the voltage reading.
2. reading the voltage reading from the seat is nigh on impossible with mine due to the angle and how the reading is recessed. Like I mentioned, I am going to see if I can make some asymmetric spacers and get it angled up enough to read while seated.
3. there is more room behind the grill above center than below, that is why they are not mounted in the center.

I liked the grill placement because there is ample room behind it for wiring and connections.
The round rocker switch is for my fork lights.

Sorry for the out of focus pics. Pretty dark in the storage area.

socket3 (Medium).jpg
socket4 (Medium).jpg
socket2 (Medium).jpg
socket1 (Medium).jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have one mounted inside my Honda top box. It is mounted through the carpet and the plastic lift-up panel in the most forward location on the left side of the bike, where the pocket underneath is deep enough to accommodate the protruding part of the socket and the wires.
I use it to charge camera and ipad while on the move, and I don't have to worry about unplugging or locking them away when I leave the bike.
It gets its power through the same hole that the tail/stop light cable runs - plugged into a connector in the rear cowl, accessed under the pillion seat.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My 1100 came with a lighter-type power socket in the left pocket, wired to the bike's aux. fuse. I added a plug-in adapter that adds two USB ports and recreates the socket, which my automotive Garmin plugs into, and the TPMS charging cord and a phone cord stay plugged into the USB ports.

I made a tiny notch in the edge of the upper-right corner of the pocket cover, so the GPS and TPMS cords can poke through, but the notch doesn't really show. When on a longer ride, the phone stays in the pocket to stay charged, and I have a Neotec helmet with built-in Sena S10-U Bluetooth.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Here are some pics of mine. I have also mounted a regular cigarette lighter plug in the right grill.
A couple of things to keep in mind.
1. mount the rubber cover so that it hinges from the bottom otherwise you will not be able to see the voltage reading.
2. reading the voltage reading from the seat is nigh on impossible with mine due to the angle and how the reading is recessed. Like I mentioned, I am going to see if I can make some asymmetric spacers and get it angled up enough to read while seated.
3. there is more room behind the grill above center than below, that is why they are not mounted in the center.

I liked the grill placement because there is ample room behind it for wiring and connections.
The round rocker switch is for my fork lights.

Sorry for the out of focus pics. Pretty dark in the storage area.

socket3 (Medium).jpg
socket4 (Medium).jpg
socket2 (Medium).jpg
socket1 (Medium).jpg
Did you use a hole saw to cut your hole or what?

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Yes, I used a hole saw. IIRC, a 1" works fine. Just run the drill slowly, and go gently, so it doesn't tear the plastic.
Or high speed, but dont press. Let the tool do the job. Make sure the plastic is warm and the hole saw is sharp. I spent years working w plastic. Clamp the piece u r drilling on a piece of wood

Last edited:
OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I removed the whole right side of the bike to install this just below the right fairing pocket. But, that's not going to work because the coil is directly under that spot! Right now I just have it connected to my PC8 under the seat until I can decide where I want to put it. It will work just fine under the seat but it's kinda hard to see the volt meter!

Top Bottom