Why my daughter will now wear her helmet. - graphic pics

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
My youngest daughter, Becky was involved in an ATV accident Saturday evening. She was riding her "little" 250 quad in the yard at her mothers. She had to brake hard and hit a moving object that thought it was getting out of the way, but instead jumped into her corrected path. She ended up off the quad and then transported to the ER. About 7 hours later and 20+ sutures she looks like she lost a prize fight. She now admits that wearing a helmet would be a good idea. I am doing this post so other parents can show their children the importance of wearing a helmet, even just riding in the yard. She also suffered a fractured cheek bone.

At the hospital before stitching.

becky b4 stitches.jpg

How she looked after waking up Sunday morning.

Becky today.jpg.

She will heal and hopefully be a little wiser.

Kevin

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Oh no! Poor Becky...and poor you!! May she heal thoroughly and quickly and may the scar be light...but may it always serve as a reminder.
Thanks for sharing, Kevin - those photos say it all.

Patty

BleST

Bill S T
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
OMG That is TERRIBLE. We all hope our kids don't have to learn the hard way (like some of us did). I broke my jaw on a 125cc in the desert wearing an open faced helmet when I was 15. I've been wearing a full face ever since.

Sending thoughts and prayers for fast healing and no lasting ill-effects.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Here's hoping she heals quickly with little or no scaring. Valuable lesson learned.

I'll be showing these to the Munchkin Pillion, for sure. Though she is good about going ATGATT, it's a very good reminder.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Man.. I really feel for her. Something similair happened to me at that age, only I lost my front teeth. Hope she heals up and doesn't let it ruin her love of riding.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
ouch! Looks like a shiner is coming as well.
Good reminder. Glad she figured out a helmet would be a good idea.
Tell her to keep out of the sun until she's healed up.

Guy at work looked about the same after "had to lay her down" incident.
Still doesn't wear a helmet :(

Bike
2006 ST1300
Wow, glad she's relatively ok. When I got my first bike at 6 my mother made a "promise" that if she ever caught me on it without a helmet, it would get sold.

I won't allow kids on anything I own without a helmet. Even if the "kid" is 50.

Glad she learned her lesson. Too bad it was the hard way.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Sad to see this, glad both kids are relatively OK.

Might want to take your daughter to see a plastic surgeon before the scarring starts. My son suffered an injury in pretty much the same location from a falling lampost. Seeing a plastic surgeon brought about minimal scarring.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Oh, I hate to see this. I can't stand seeing a kid get hurt.

Not only a good lesson for helmets but maybe her brother will now practice ATGATT when she is around.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

I sure am glad everyone will be ok in the long run. She might have some scars from that...ouch!
My, then 11 year old, neighbor lost his life by crashing an ATV. Tossed him head first into a stump. My dad performed CPR till the ambulance arrived...poor kid passed as they were reaching the hospital. That was a gruesome accident. Like I said, I sure am thankfull your kids will heal up!!!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Kevin,

I'm glad it wasn't worse than this! Thanks for sharing the photos and story. I will pass these on to daughter and son for ATGATT re-enforcement. Best wishes for fast/proper healing.

Dan

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I will admit to riding with no helmet when I was her age. Thank God nothing happened, but, I am alive today from a helmet saving my life recently I'm glad she will be relatively OK.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

Top Bottom