Why my daughter will now wear her helmet. - graphic pics

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Holy Moly, I'm glad your daughter is ok, and hope the scaring will be minimal.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My gosh!! Good to hear both are going to survive to see another day!! You guys will now have another great story to laugh about during the holidays!

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Her brother. Stitches in his knee and forehead at the hair line. On crutches.
I was going to guess her Mother by the way you avoided being specific...might as well make it a family affair. Ouch, glad everyone is Ok and on the mend.

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Here she is one week later.

1 week.jpg

Chris is able to hobble around without the crutches, so he is getting better too.

Thanks for the well wishes and yes they learned a lesson.

Her cheek is fractured, but does not need anything but time to heal.

Kevin

Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
helmets for bicycles too.

Glad she and her brother both survived to ride another day.
Wow a week does wonders huh? Glad it wasn't worse than it was. My son has always worn a helmet on his bicycle, even when he was the only one in the neighborhood made to do so. Today at 14, he puts it on w/o being told.

STOC #
Two years ago on August 9th, some local kids (just graduated from high school) were on high performance ATVs and raising hell in the field in front of their parents. One machine was a brand new Yamaha given as a graduation gift. The grass was a bit wet as they approached from opposite directions at high speed. Someone miscalculated and they hit head on. Result; two dead on impact and a younger brother, who was a passenger, badly injured. All witnessed by the parents. I live three miles from their homes and had seen them ripping up and down the paved roads around my place with extemely loud exhausts, and mentioned to my wife that these two were going to get killed. I figured it would happen in a collision with a car though. With these two Darwin Award winners gone the roads are a bit safer, amd a lot quieter. They may have been wearing helmets at the time of the accident but they would not have helped with a combined collision speed above 75mph.
I'm glad your daughter wasn't more severely injured and gained some wisdom, albeit the hard way.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Dang Kevin Hate to hear this but so very glad she's ok. My kids grew up on ATV's and dirt bikes. Even if they were in the yard they had to wear a helmet. ATV's even more so because they have a false sense of security. You can't fall over on them. I think more kids get hurt on ATV's than dirt bikes because when they wreck a 300lb ATV does a lot more damage than a 150lb dirt bike.

I'm just happy she's ok.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Good grief what I would give to be able to heal that fast and that good! I think she dodged a major mishap glad she looks so much better.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Glad it wasn't worse. When either one is questioned about their injuries, they can honesty reply, "You should see my brother/sister!"

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I can be mean and at times insensitive, so if this is offensive, please tell me to shut up. It would all depend on her personality which I clearly don't know.....

Have you started calling her "Scar face" yet?
NO, not yet.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Glad to hear that she and her brother are healing well.

Make sure she keeps that scar out of the sun. The sun will increase the redness and make the scar more noticeable. She should use Mederma scar cream and make sure she always uses sunscreen on it from now on. My wife had skin cancer removed from her forehead and these steps were recommended by the plastic surgeon.

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Glad to hear that she and her brother are healing well.

Make sure she keeps that scar out of the sun. The sun will increase the redness and make the scar more noticeable. She should use Mederma scar cream and make sure she always uses sunscreen on it from now on. My wife had skin cancer removed from her forehead and these steps were recommended by the plastic surgeon.
The doctor already told her about the sunscreen and said that rubbing the area 3x a day for 5 minutes will do more than any of the topical creams. She does have the Mederma cream to also use. The DR is a plastic surgeon that we saw at the UW.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
amazing, glad both are healing and it isnt worse. reminds me of recent discussions with other riders and why i will always wear my helmet, jacket regardless of temperature, gloves, etc.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
My son is riding my Rebel 250. He is wearing a full face helmet and a very nice Cortech jacket.

We think somehow we are exempt from harm ... but we are not.

I'm so sorry for her injury. I hope and pray she heals well.

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Just got a call from the kids mom. Hospital charges were $18k. That is $18,000 for that little run in. They were not even there 8 hours. All but $2250 was covered. Seems a little high, but what do I know.

All the more reason to ride with gear.

They are doing great, by the way.

Kevin

Top Bottom