Gonna try to install one of my 2x new SMC units...

And to put it back together again :

What tools do you have.
A metric socket set ?
A torque wrench ?
Allen keys or allen drivers ?
Bleed tube and non-return valve ?
Does your bike still have its toolkit ?

What year bike is it ? Not the registration - the model number printed on the white label stuck to the frame under the pillion seat. Eg ST1300A-8
The instructions will differ slightly according to which year it was made - 2008 onwards are different from 2002-2007.

Do this in stages with a success planned for the end of each day. You don't want the bike to be out in the open without a fairing, so getting behind the fairing can be left until you are ready to refill the hydraulic fluid.

You can probably get away without removing the upper banjo bolt from the left caliper. This is fed from the front brake lever, but the two for the SMC need to be removed and it is easier if the lower one from the caliper is removed. Note my comment about slackening two of the bolts while the pads are still in.

Plan your first target for the day / session. You are on a slope. Which way will the bike face ? It will be better on the centre stand. IT is awkward to work on the left hand side with the bike on a sidestand. Get a piece of thick wood to roll the back wheel onto. 1" say ? You may need a chock under the downhill wheel to stop it trying to roll back. You will need to be able to rotate the front wheel. How are you going to prevent brake spillage when you undo the banjo bolt - the lines will still have some fluid in them. The caliper and SMC will be full. You need to protect your wheels and tyres.

An early job is to remove the front left brake pads. This is either a hex head or an allen key. Make sure that it is the thin metal bolt which you can see passing through the two eys of the brake pads - at the lowere end of the caliper. Once the pins are out, rolling the front wheel backwards will help to get the pads out. Check them, clean them. Check the pad pin for being smooth, clean that up.

Make sure that the front brake lever cannot be squeezed by accident. eg Tape a block of wood or something between lever and handlebars.

Then stand back and realise that you have succeed in starting the job. Plan the next part - which is bound to involve brake fluid !

Yell out for help.

Thanks! BTW, is your first name John...?

I have all the tools except I do NOT have a torque wrench.

I bought a brake fluid bleeder kit last year (still unused) and I'm pretty sure it includes a one way valve.

My bike used to be my sole mode of transport, and now it is still my main transport and hence I do not want it laid up for 6 weeks while I start to rot and fester in my paralysis and anxiety.

I am in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, and I've asked before but there doesn't seem to be anyone near me able to help.

I'm getting stressed again because of mixed signals. Igofar says changing the SMC is 15 minutes... But reading everything, it seems like my bike will be grounded for weeks and I may not ever get it working again...

Some people say I need 8 crush washers... Igofar says 4. "Honda ones are expensive... get generic..." says someone. But what size...? and where from...?

Result... Paralysis.

Removing side covers is enough to paralyze me...

I need in-person help once... Then I'll be okay...

Otherwise, as it is (and because my front brakes are sticking and I'm afraid they could lock and throw me) I have a 15 thousand dollar paperweight in my driveway...

:-(

Also, what brake fluid should I buy off the available choices I posted in the original post...?

It isn't that bad and with all the help here...I bet you can do it.

T
Thanks Todd...

Since my front brakes are grabbing now, and I don't want to risk being thrown, I'm grounded anyhow, so I may as well start ripping her apart.

The crush washers are over 10 bucks each at the dealer... Fukk1ng krrrazy! lmho

DOT 4 is the brake fluid you'll need. I've done all my own vehicle maintenance and repairs, rebuilt engines and transmissions and I still get stressed out during the process.
The key for me is having the vehicle set properly for the task where it can sit during the days weeks and sometimes months between repair phases. I'm part way through a heater core replacement on a Wrangler which is nothing short of depressing [most practical removal method involves cutting then rewelding or patching stamped sheet metal parts].
The ST as I expected when I bought it three years ago, is and will probably always remain my favorite bike; everything about it, including the weight and momentum.
I've got a plastic compartment organizer [as was suggested here] with a small note in every compartment just for the fairing fasteners, way too much to remember.
I keep a couple rolls of white electrical tape, felt pens and clear plastic bags with me anyway as I often leave equipment in a state of partial disassembly pending quotes or eventual further repairs / reassembly for other techs. The "no brains required" reassembly method.

Heya All,

A quick update...

Please be patient and kind with me regarding my challenges overcoming this hurdle. I'll get there... I'll try not to cuss online, here. Apologies for expressing any dark thoughts. (I am "The Dark Shadow", after all... lol)

This has been the Holy Grail of bikes for me, and if I can get over my issues, I'm guessing I'll be keeping this bike as long as I can ride...

The local stealer has the crush washers available at the generous price of $10.13 each, after sales tax!! With great thanks, one of our members has kindly offered to send me some, since he recently went through the same issue.

My front wheel brakes are dragging (I might have posted this above) so I'm gonna have my bike parked until it is fixed, since I don't want to risk them seizing fully when riding.

I know I need "Dot 4", but there are 4 or 5 choices at my local Canadian Tire... (Screenshots posted in my original post) I could get Prestone 100% synthetic, or I could get "OEM Asian vehicle" or a few different choices.

So, I know I need Dot 4, but is there a difference between any of the choices I posted in the screenshots...??Screenshot_20240428-175434.pngScreenshot_20240428-175409.png

I've used Prestone in the past. My auto mechanic told me any name brand that meets standard specs (don't ask me what those are) is ok. I've also used an esoteric expensive very low viscosity brake fluid (suitable for Mercedes and BMW cars...) and now I usually buy the auto parts store house brand midway up their pricing constellation. In your shoes I would buy a liter of either Prestone or Lucas (because I recognize the name - no other reason). If OEM is a popular brand up there, I'd ask the auto parts store what the differences are - besides the pretty label colors. Low viscosity brake fluid is not needed (though I will say I have seen a shelf empty of all the cheaper offerings and only the expensive Low Vis stuff in multiple bottles adorning the auto parts store).

I bought an assortment of crush washers from amazon for, iirc, around $6 USD. I will bet anyone here a large sum of money that I am going to die with most of those washers still in the box. Amazon guarantees that of the 241 washers in the assortment, 95% will fit nothing any one user is likely to see. I think I've used 3 or 4 different sizes on my now sold ST, current VStrom, and sold Moto Guzzi. (Fair warning, slight exaggeration for entertainment purposes).

I've used Prestone in the past. My auto mechanic told me any name brand that meets standard specs (don't ask me what those are) is ok. I've also used an esoteric expensive very low viscosity brake fluid (suitable for Mercedes and BMW cars...) and now I usually buy the auto parts store house brand midway up their pricing constellation. In your shoes I would buy a liter of either Prestone or Lucas (because I recognize the name - no other reason). If OEM is a popular brand up there, I'd ask the auto parts store what the differences are - besides the pretty label colors. Low viscosity brake fluid is not needed (though I will say I have seen a shelf empty of all the cheaper offerings and only the expensive Low Vis stuff in multiple bottles adorning the auto parts store).

I bought an assortment of crush washers from amazon for, iirc, around $6 USD. I will bet anyone here a large sum of money that I am going to die with most of those washers still in the box. Amazon guarantees that of the 241 washers in the assortment, 95% will fit nothing any one user is likely to see. I think I've used 3 or 4 different sizes on my now sold ST, current VStrom, and sold Moto Guzzi. (Fair warning, slight exaggeration for entertainment purposes).
Thank you. This is helpful!

DOT 4 is the brake fluid that you need. All brake fluid is synthetic. DOT 4 is a standard. It doesn't matter if it states European, Asian, North America, OEM, synthetic, etc.. If it is DOT 4 brake fluid it is DOT 4 brake fluid. Buy the Prestone or the Lucas only because they are a well established brand name and is more likely to be what the label claims it to be.

I bought the Prestone when I did the clutch last year. I bought the larger 946ml bottle as I'd rather have more than less in case I needed it. You also get about 3x the mount for 2x the price. I didn't get around to doing my brakes last year when I did the clutch and all the other service I did as I ran out of vacation time and like you, had some paralysis going on with everything I was doing which didn't help.

I think I'll use the Prestone this time. One mini hurdle overcome...
And who knows what brand the last guy that owned the bike used.
Son had a bottle of Pentosin DOT 4 for his VW golf, that went in my system first, then Prestone DOT 4 went in thereafter and now I have 946ml of Lucas DOT 4 that I'm using.
Still stops on a dime and I get a nickel change. ;)

Does anyone know the dimensions of the original Honda crush washers for the SMC hoses...?

Honda stealer (whoops, dealer) shows 15mm outer diameter, 2mm thickness but didn't show inner diameter...

Screenshot_20240506-150759.png

Does anyone know the dimensions of the original Honda crush washers for the SMC hoses...?

Honda stealer (whoops, dealer) shows 15mm outer diameter, 2mm thickness but didn't show inner diameter...

10mm ID
IMG_0284.jpeg

These are aluminum.
Pictured is a used one.
Appears okay to reuse.

Thank you. I don't usually read slide calipers, but I'm thinking 10.4mm ID.

Follow up question...

Originals are aluminum as you say, but is it fine to replace with copper, or will copper react...?

Copper is fine. Alum crush washers are softer, thats the main difference. Neither are active enough in brake fluid to corrode. Do not overtighten and strip out threads.

Were you to find Lithium crush washers, now that might be exciting to watch.

Some use cardboard with a sketch of the fairing pieces on them, and put the removed fasteners in holes in the cardboard.

Some use egg crates or plastic partition boxes, like a fishing tackle box or those with plastic dividers you get at hardware stores. Lowe's and Home Depot here, don't know what's in Canada.

Some will have a couple magnetic bowls to put the fasteners in.

I just put them back in the holes they came out of when removing fairings. It matters which bolts go back where.
I'm lucky that I received foam sheets with laminated fastener labels / positions on them when I bought my first st13...

I bought the Prestone when I did the clutch last year. I bought the larger 946ml bottle as I'd rather have more than less in case I needed it. You also get about 3x the mount for 2x the price. I didn't get around to doing my brakes last year when I did the clutch and all the other service I did as I ran out of vacation time and like you, had some paralysis going on with everything I was doing which didn't help.
brake fluids like oil are heavily tested. They are all pretty good. I hope your not trying to start another oil thread :rofl1: see breakdown https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm

Top Bottom