Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

I'm very handy with putting things together. How much are you selling the collection of parts for, including the light sensor? If things work out well, I wouldn't be against making these for others.:wht11:
Replied to your PM.

Bike
VTX1800, ST1300

Thanks Nick.

What Nick is referring to is - sourcing bulk wire.

If anyone out there knows of a reasonable source for wire, let me know. I'm trying to figure out how I can build custom plug&play wire harnesses for the GPI.
I'd like to find a source for 22 ga stranded wire. Say, 500 foot spools of - red, black, white, green, blue, yellow, and pink. Colors aren't super-critical. Just need seven different colors.
I've found a source for the connectors that mate with the speed sensor, and ignition pulse generator plugs. I just need to find a source for wire, now.
10 colors, 100', 500', 1000' or 10000' spools, 22 ga stranded.

http://www.bulkwire.com/product.asp?ProdID=7602

Internal appliance and point to point electronic wiring. Great for Hobbyist. Resistant to moisture, oil solvents, and fungus. Passes VW-1 Vertical Flame Test. Stranded tinned copper. UL Listed, UL Style 1007. CSA Listed, CSA TR-64.

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police

I'm very handy with putting things together. How much are you selling the collection of parts for, including the light sensor? If things work out well, I wouldn't be against making these for others.:wht11:
Likewise I would love to purchase one from you if it can fit in the Dash -- Do you think you will be producing some units?

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Home-built DIY gear position indicator

I thought I'd just say I've had the PD Furth GPI installed with the help of Scoutdriver in San Diego for 1 3/4 years and 20,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. The LED seems bright in the picture, but dims down in the darkness. In addition, there is just a small plastic box (maybe 2X2X1/2) that is tie wrapped behind the dash. There is a small button for teaching it the gears and to adjust the light level when the LED dims. It's reading zero because the STeed's in neutral.
Scoutdriver did his magic with a soddering iron while I crafted the opening in the dash. Remember, to make the opening a touch lower than seems right because your looking at the LED from a higher angle and you don't want the upper part blocked.

John

Attachments

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Thanks for the update John.
Good to know the design is holding up.
And quite a testamant to ScoutDriver's construction skills :bow1:

I've been using mine (actually have one on each bike) for a little over two years now... with no problems. And I know of at least a couple others (I personally installed) that have been in service for almost that long.

Bike
2002 Gold Wing
STOC #

I have had a similar experience as JNSGARDER. I have had my indicator on my bike for a couple of years now and at least 10,000 miles. I have been in rain, snow:hat1:, heat, high winds, heavy fog and one really nice day and I could not ask for better performance. I never realized how much I missed a indicator until I got mine.

It humbles me that there are individuals that are bright enough to develop something like this indicator but there are and I have greatly benefitted from adding it to my bike.
(Pat installed mine but I held the flashlight when needed)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A7

I finished building and fitting my gear position indicator last Saturday and road tested it on Sunday. It works perfectly... no more trying to engage 5th when I'm already in it!:eek::
I must give a special thanks to Pat for designing the device, putting together a kit of parts for home assembly and giving such excellent email support.:bow1:

There are more images in my albums.
It was a great winter project that has kept me amused for a few hours. If I can't get out to ride my ST I need to have farkles to mess about with and this one is the best yet.

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Cheers for that, bloodhound.
Great pictures.

There are GPI's installed on ST accross the globe now. I never get tired of seeing other's success stories.

Great stuff.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

Hi,

I've been happily running Pat's GPI for something like 20k miles and never an issue...until today. Rode the bike into work and no issues at all, still worked perfectly. At lunch I started the bike, forgot it was in gear, and accidentally popped the clutch. This is when my issue began. The LED on the dash showed a few pieces of random light (not sure how else to describe it) for about 15-20 seconds then went totally out. I now notice my Green Neutral light stays very dimly lit no matter what gear I'm in. I'm sure I blew the fuse inside the little GPI control box, but the question is - what caused it, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

My first guess is that I have a bad connection at one of the tie-in points. That sudden surge must have sent some current through to pop the fuse. Any ideas??

Thanks! I felt lost without it the rest of the ride!! Amazing how attached I've gotten...

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

This sounds more like a short in the bike's wiring harness. I do not see any way that the neutral light could be affected by the GPI; too little current, among other things. I also doubt that the GPI has been hurt.

If you have a 2003 ST, have the ground block checked/repaired under warranty. If it's another year, it's anybody's guess until the multimeter comes out.

Best of luck on this.

Marshal

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

My bike's a 2005...and I haven't been having any other electrical problems at all. I looked at the connection points in Pat's installation manual, and one of them goes to the Neutral switch next to the clutch diode. I think I might have a bad connection in there or maybe near the speed sensor where the power and ground are tied in. Just find it strange that popping the clutch would do this...if I find the fuse blown I'm going to try to recreate the issue until I get it sorted out.

I agree about the multimeter - need to check all of the connections to be sure...I'm glad this is happening now instead when I can fix it...

I want to be clear though - I am 99% sure this is an issue with a connection on my end. Pat's system has been bullet-proof!

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

My bike's a 2005...and I haven't been having any other electrical problems at all. I looked at the connection points in Pat's installation manual, and one of them goes to the Neutral switch next to the clutch diode. I think I might have a bad connection in there or maybe near the speed sensor where the power and ground are tied in. Just find it strange that popping the clutch would do this...if I find the fuse blown I'm going to try to recreate the issue until I get it sorted out.

I agree about the multimeter - need to check all of the connections to be sure...I'm glad this is happening now instead when I can fix it...

I want to be clear though - I am 99% sure this is an issue with a connection on my end. Pat's system has been bullet-proof!

Hey John,
Sorry to hear you're having an issue.
Let me know if I can help. If you want, bring that thing down to Castle Rock, and we'll get it sorted :idea:

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300

I bought the parts and plans a while back and it was really pretty easy to put together and mount on the bike. I did plan on the interior design and half way through the process, I decided to mount it outside the instrument panel. This meant I had to build a custom panel to hold it and keep it safe from the weather. I love the way it looks and the way it works. Sometimes I just don't keep track of my gears the way I should and this mod keeps me from looking like a moron. Thanks!

Attachments

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

Hey John,
Sorry to hear you're having an issue.
Let me know if I can help. If you want, bring that thing down to Castle Rock, and we'll get it sorted :idea:
Hi Pat, just saw your offer but I think I found the issue. I had a bad connection near the clutch diode. Once I re-soldered it all is good.

Thanks!
John

Bike
2005 ST1300

Just curious if you ever looked at an Arduino board to do this? I have been working with them recently, and thinking I may be able to apply your concept which would make the hardware more generic and reduce DIY problems for us novice circuit builders.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
the good quality stuff is a solid copper core, stay away from the "twisted wire" versions!
I wouldn't say one is 'good' and one is 'bad', just different uses, depending on your intended application. Twisted wire (stranded) is more flexible and less chance of internal breakage, one reason why we have service cord. Due to the chance of breakage, CG rules do not allow solid core wire less then 6 pairs.

Okay.. warning.. more geeky stuff ahead...
US standard telephone wire is black, red, green, yellow. Red/green being the primary pair, black yellow being the secondary, as defined by Ma Bell. This wire works good for RGB leds, since you can line the colors up with the leads on the led.

The white/blue, blue/white, white/orange, orange/white color combination is an offshoot of the 25 pair color code. This came much later in production, the original 25 pair colors did not have the secondary stripe. Originally it was just the white & blue pair, white & orange pair, the white being the first, the color the second. Technology is a good thing as now we have the stripe to help keep things straight.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
called sheathed plenum, which incorporates a double outer casing sandwiched around a plaited wire mesh casing
I think you will more commonly find it called shielded. As it 'shields' the internal wires from stray emi/rf fields and interference.

This sheathing could be isolated at the far end, and connected
I've done it and know others that do the same. I recently made a diagnostic light for my HID's and needed 5 wires. A piece of shielded 2 pair phone data cable worked great.

my concern is that trying to crimp an RJ11 or RJ45 on stranded wire
They actually do make crimps that are specifically designed for stranded wires. BTDT and know the frustration of not having them and trying to get a good contact.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
So. As a really late person to arrive and discover this thread, my excitement built and then was crushed as I learned it was no longer available to buy as a kit form. Has anyone picked this up and moved forward? I don't have any problem with assembling stuff like this (would be a lot of fun), I have no idea how to get code programmed into a chip. Is this all still do-able...or am I relegated to spend $139 with a Healtech and have someone else do the work of putting it together?

Bike
03 st1300
STOC #

I think I'll watch my rpm's and listen to my motor....that will be alot easier for me.......that some heavy micro wrenchin!!!

Top Bottom