Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

Dear friends good afternoon....I would like to ask you if i can also use it for kawasaki z750???I mean the connections are the same but probably different colors??? Thanks in advance Panagiotis

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Dear friends good afternoon....I would like to ask you if i can also use it for kawasaki z750???I mean the connections are the same but probably different colors??? Thanks in advance Panagiotis
I really have no idea. I have no access to the Kawasaki wiring diagrams and/or schematics. Nor do I know if the Kawisaki system's electrical signals would be compatible. You didn't say what year the Kawasaki is. Do you know if it has a crank pulse generator (or similar). And a vehicle speed sensor (or something similar, providing a signal who's frequency is proportional to wheel speed)? It would be best, if you could, to have a look at those signals with an oscilloscope, to understand their amplitude, polarity, and frequency. You get to do that work, of course :D As I have no access to (nor desire to) a Kawasaki.

well hello again the model is kawasaki z750 (2006)...Probably centrals can help me to these questions...If i post you a service manual of this bike is it possible to tell me if i can use it to the specific bike???Sorry if i became annoying

P.s Forgive me if i make mistakes(I am from Greece.):D

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

well hello again the model is kawasaki z750 (2006)...Probably centrals can help me to these questions...If i post you a service manual of this bike is it possible to tell me if i can use it to the specific bike???Sorry if i became annoying

P.s Forgive me if i make mistakes(I am from Greece.):D
No annoyance at all... we love motorcycle enthusiasts, from all corners of the globe, here.

Although... this thread *is* really intended specifically for discussion of the DIY Gear Indicator, on the Honda ST1300. And probably should be kept on-topic. To that end, we should probably take the Kawasaki discussion off-line. Tell ya what. I've sent you a PM with my email address. Send me an email, and we can continue this off-line. I am in similar off-line discussions with a couple of Yamaha owners.

In answer to your question, tho... Even if you do send a service manual, I *may* be able to tell you which wires to patch into. But, I still won't know whether those wires carry signals that are compatible (i.e. acceptable frequency, polarity, and amplitude). They could very well be compatible. But, I/we can't know for sure. Most service manuals don't specify that level of detail. The only way, I know of, to determine this "for sure" is to get an oscilloscope hooked up, and have a look. That, my friend, I would leave to you, as I do not have access to a 2006 Z750. Nor do I know anyone who does.

Last edited:

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #

Pat looking at my local guys I really cant get a great deal, Waytek has been good to me in the past. I didnt forget, I will ask my purchasing agent next time Im in the office...

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Pat looking at my local guys I really cant get a great deal, Waytek has been good to me in the past. I didnt forget, I will ask my purchasing agent next time Im in the office...

Thanks Nick.

What Nick is referring to is - sourcing bulk wire.

If anyone out there knows of a reasonable source for wire, let me know. I'm trying to figure out how I can build custom plug&play wire harnesses for the GPI.
I'd like to find a source for 22 ga stranded wire. Say, 500 foot spools of - red, black, white, green, blue, yellow, and pink. Colors aren't super-critical. Just need seven different colors.
I've found a source for the connectors that mate with the speed sensor, and ignition pulse generator plugs. I just need to find a source for wire, now.

Bike
2004 st abs

pdfruth thankyou for sending me out my GPI kit, it was alot of fun to build/install, but anyone who wants to put that digital LED behind the dash should check them self in !!!
Like I said I had alot of fun but the amounty of ripping apart and putting together just to tell me something I already know, I've myself signed up for group therapy.
Laurens

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

pdfruth thankyou for sending me out my GPI kit, it was alot of fun to build/install, but anyone who wants to put that digital LED behind the dash should check them self in !!!
Like I said I had alot of fun but the amounty of ripping apart and putting together just to tell me something I already know, I've myself signed up for group therapy.
Laurens
Welcome to the fellowship.
There's a twelve step program for us hopeless addicts.
Step 1 - Admitted we were powerless over farkles, and that our lives had become unmanageable

:D

Enjoy

Bike
2004 st abs

Just like the similarities between dogs and owners.
After installing my GPI I looked at my bike thinking " there must be a screw loose somewhere"
Maybe in a week I can fire up the bike and go through the "learning" procedure.
Laurens

Bike
2004 st abs

Help! I tried out the bike today April 11. The GPI I Installed is showing a blank digital display and the bike while I ride shows the green neutral light in every gear. I think I'm going through the "learning procedure". Anyone with advice is appreciated.
Laurens

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Help! I tried out the bike today April 11. The GPI I Installed is showing a blank digital display and the bike while I ride shows the green neutral light in every gear. I think I'm going through the "learning procedure". Anyone with advice is appreciated.
Laurens
You should have performed the "Learning" procedure immediately upon completing the installation, with the bike on the center stand. The Learning procedure is not to be performed while riding.
If you haven't already, have a read thru the Install/Setup manual I attached to post #4 of this thread.

If the neutral light is on, in all gears, you have a short to ground on the wire that connects to the ST's light-green neutral switch wire. Double check your connections, and make sure you don't have any solder bridges on the circuit board. In the kit, I supply a 6-pin molex connector, so that you can easily connect/disconnect the GPI. Assuming you used it... To isolate the cause of the problem, disconnect the GPI from the bike, via the 6-pin connector. If the neutral light problem goes away, the problem is most likely in the GPI circuit (inside the black project box). If it doesn't go away, the problem is most likely in the wiring harness integration.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st abs

Thankyou PDFruth I will Disconect it like you said, and check out the "black box"
What I meant by myself going through the "learning procedure" was I've got alot to learn.
Laurens

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

...What I meant by myself going through the "learning procedure" was I've got alot to learn.
Ahhh... gotcha.
So, to carry on the metaphore, in that case... Turn yourself off. Then, while holding your learn button down, turn youself on. Does your display show an "L"? :D

No really, when you performed the "learning" procedure, after the install, did it appear to go as described in the Section 2 of the Install/Setup manual (in post #4 of this thread)?

Hi PD,
I would like to thank you for this great project. Thats basically the reason I joined this forum. I am from Mainz in Germany and my English is a little rusty. Here a couple of questioin and sorry in advance if I missed the information somewhere above.
1. Can I use any other PIC instead the 16F88? 16F84 for example? My tools can not handle this one.
2. I am trying to assemble the code via microchips software but it complains the commas in line 200 and 201. What am I doing wrong? Or, can you post the hex file?
3. What is the tolerance around the gear ration after I learned the gismo?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Hi PD,
I would like to thank you for this great project. Thats basically the reason I joined this forum. I am from Mainz in Germany and my English is a little rusty. Here a couple of questioin and sorry in advance if I missed the information somewhere above.
Hang around, you might find you like it here?
1. Can I use any other PIC instead the 16F88? 16F84 for example? My tools can not handle this one.
Bottom line.... NO. There are a number of reasons. Without going into alot of detail, here are just a couple;
- The pinout is different, so the circuit board would need to be redesigned
- There are only 13 I/O pins on the 16F84. I need 16
- There is no A/D converter on the 16F84, so the ambient light feature won't be possible.
- There is no on-board oscillator on the 16F84, so an external oscillator would have to be added.
2. I am trying to assemble the code via microchips software but it complains the commas in line 200 and 201. What am I doing wrong? Or, can you post the hex file?
What version of MPLAB are you using? I'm using V8.0
Send a PM with your email address, and I'll send you the .hex file
3. What is the tolerance around the gear ration after I learned the gismo?
The GPI essentially counts the number of ignition pulse generator cycles per defined set of vehicle speed sensor cycles. On the ST, the VSS frequency is so high, I had to incorporate a software frequency divider (see the interrupt service routine). Anyhow, the way the code is currently set up, there should be > 3 Hz difference (of the ignition pulse generator) between gears. You may have to play with the software frequency divider. I think scoutdriver73 had to do this when it was adapted to his VFR (see post #162) Hopefully this makes sense. If not, let me know.
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Peter,
I've been having a think about this.
I bet you need to configure MPLAB to assemble code for the correct target device.

Bring up MPLAB, and then on the File menu, select Configure->Select Device...
In the resulting dialog box, make sure that "PIC16F88" is selected in the "Device" drop-down box.

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300

I'm very handy with putting things together. How much are you selling the collection of parts for, including the light sensor? If things work out well, I wouldn't be against making these for others.:wht11:

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

I'm very handy with putting things together. How much are you selling the collection of parts for, including the light sensor? If things work out well, I wouldn't be against making these for others.:wht11:
Depending on cost I would not be against purchasing one from you :)

Top Bottom