Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Buy Phantom cruise control. 20$ And it does the job.
I think that one is for the left side. the throttle side is about $76.00

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

A trottle control for the left side ???
Sorry, let me step back... I thought you were referring to the Kuryakyn bar end throttle lock. There's a matching bar end weight for the left side which is closer to $20. That's why I got mixed up.

Anyway, I'm still looking for an effective, simple and cheap throttle lock and I must have had the Kuryakyn in my head because that's at the top of my list right now.

So what's this "Phantom cruise control" you were referring to?

Bike
04 ST1300A

I don't think there's any market for a true replacement for the ST. What I think Honda will do is make a T version of the VFR with a larger fairing, full bags, higher bars, adjustable tall windscreen, softer seat, etc., etc.

I'm not interested. Anyone else interested?

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

Sorry, let me step back... I thought you were referring to the Kuryakyn bar end throttle lock. There's a matching bar end weight for the left side which is closer to $20. That's why I got mixed up.

Anyway, I'm still looking for an effective, simple and cheap throttle lock and I must have had the Kuryakyn in my head because that's at the top of my list right now.

So what's this "Phantom cruise control" you were referring to?
You find it on You Tube at : motorcycle cruise control. There is a similar model : Omni-Cruise control. But more complicated for no adventage.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

Go cruise control is the brandname for US apparently. In Canada, they sell it under : Phantom cruise control. 20$

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST

No need for a 6-speed. As a matter of fact, the ST1300 is so torquey that it could get by with a 4-speed. You want overdrive for the slab? Just fiddle with the ratios on the current 5-speed. No need to add more rotating bits.
Are you nuts ? I loved my ST but was always trying to shift up, it really needs a 6 speed (just like all the other sport touring bikes).

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

I never shifted over 6000 rpm. Anyone did... Six speeds for economy yes, but for nothing else.

I do not understand why some Owners want to install a gear indicator ? As far as we have the RPM indication : when shifting on 5th, look at your rpm. It will never change... 2000rpm makes 40 miles per hour (60k/h). For the other speeds, why would we have to know in which gear we are ? Sound and torque feeling indicates what to do no ?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

Go cruise control is the brandname for US apparently. In Canada, they sell it under : Phantom cruise control. 20$
Thanks

Bike
2009 st1300

not me
I don't think there's any market for a true replacement for the ST. What I think Honda will do is make a T version of the VFR with a larger fairing, full bags, higher bars, adjustable tall windscreen, softer seat, etc., etc.

not me

STOC #

Now that's cool!! I even like the color combo.. Just make sure it has as factory heated grips, gear position indicator also..

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I never shifted over 6000 rpm. Anyone did... Six speeds for economy yes, but for nothing else.

I do not understand why some Owners want to install a gear indicator ? As far as we have the RPM indication : when shifting on 5th, look at your rpm. It will never change... 2000rpm makes 40 miles per hour (60k/h). For the other speeds, why would we have to know in which gear we are ? Sound and torque feeling indicates what to do no ?
I take my '05 (with 173K on it) up to 8K all the time! And as far as knowing what gear your in, yes, I miss my gear indicator....sometimes I know I'm in 5th, and I still have to check...:eek::

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I do check occasionally to make sure I'm in 5th and sometimes I find I'm in 4th.

Not sure about the 13 but the 11's 4th and 5th gears are already overdrive (4th 0.916, 5th 0.758).

Bike
ST1300

my past more recent bikes all had a shift indicator and I dont believe i looked at them more than a hand full of times over there ownership. I have only put just under 1k miles on my 03 since i bought it a few weeks ago but it has been mixed riding in city and highway. I feel no need at all for a 6th or a gear indicator. The 5th on this thing is perfect for highway cruise unlike my k13GT i had where i would try for a 7th because at 80 it was near or over i dont remember 6k RPM. If they could just do a revamp of the electronics, dash, and suspension i would be happy. I think the body lines are timeless and do not date the bike at all.
I bought this bike to keep for a while and to start my "collection" off right and so far im glad i did :D

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

When we pay attention to the engine sound, it indicates clearly that we are in fourth it seems to me, when we reach about 4k rpm at 60 mph !
2krpm=40 mph. I still do not understand the need of that double indication. Maybe some drivers adores to add some devices to the machine cause they are really good mecanics or retired...

8krpm Suprasaber ! Why ? I made a badshift once at around 6000 and I still remember the sound of the transmission when it stops to %$?&*$$...

STOC #

George,
One of the things I miss about my 1100's is that in fifth the gear shift is loose. In lower gears if you press up you feel some resistance. In 5th the shifter can move up and down and it tells me I'm in fifth. The 1300 gearshift is always tight.. On the 13 I know what rpm is at 60 and 70 mph so I hopefully don't shift into the imaginary 6 th gear... Some times I forget........ like my blinkers......squashrot I guess..

Bike
1999 BMW R1100S

Sign me up right now! I don't need anything that would just drive the price up - just give me the essentials: larger tank, more upright seating, new styling. I'll just put off adventure bikes until the prices come down.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

The ST1300 tech was so perfect in it's conception, that BMW tries today to reach the best with farkles that we do not need to enjoy the driving on two wheels passion.

Last night, driving in total darkness, passing at 80 mph other vehicules, including other bikes, with that turbine sound that will never reach your capability to handle fever, I reached home with the pleasure of feeling young and healty...

Thanks my bike to help saving my losses on my bicycle...

Bike
FJR1300

------

Corker, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Why improve or refine any product then? IMO, there absolutely is a market for a replacement ST. If companies never did product updates, improvements, refinements, continue to give consumers reasons to buy...the market economy would not exist as we know it today. If the Ford Motor Company took that approach in the early 1900's, they wouldn't have moved beyond the Model A.

Secondly, by virtue of your "improvements list", it is clear the VFR was never intended to be an ST replacement and never will be. It stands on its own and competes more with the K1300S. It's worth noting, the K1300S is not considered or is serving as a replacement for the R1200RT or the K1600GT/GTL.

Like the VFR1200, the ST1300 stands on it's own too. The sport touring segment, fitting of the ST1300, is currently occupied by a Honda product that has not been updated, improved, refined, or seen a face-lift in ten years. I believe the market would be more accepting of a next generation Honda ST than not. As great as the current gen ST is, the best that Honda has to offer is still yet ahead of them and that's a wonderful thing, it's all good.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100

I work for a Honda dealer and can tell you, as of right now there is no word on a redesigned ST1300, We will get information when Honda is working on new and improved models, and as of right now, nothing seems to be in the works. Sorry Guys!!! i will keep the site posted if i hear of anything though..

Top Bottom