Putting ST1300 on center stand

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If both wheels are rolled onto boards, they can each be thinner.
That would reduce the PORT list. Or putting something down for the side stand to land on for those who might be inseamingly challenged. A gym membership would help on multiple levels but they're shutting down almost as much as barbershops.

Bike
2009 GL1800
I bought an 03 ST1300 yesterday, nice, 35000 miles, well loved, because my 09 Wing is going for major surgery (triked) after a stupid move on my part. I've yet to figure out how to get that little sport tourer on its center-stand, whereas both of the Wings I've had have been "Alley Oop with the right foot". I know there's a knack to it, and I've watched the guy on the video, but, not yet. I do like the ST, it's a sweet ride but lacks the kick-ass of the Wing. Probably better for me, not having that "right now" power.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I bought an 03 ST1300 yesterday, nice, 35000 miles, well loved, because my 09 Wing is going for major surgery (triked) after a stupid move on my part. I've yet to figure out how to get that little sport tourer on its center-stand, whereas both of the Wings I've had have been "Alley Oop with the right foot". I know there's a knack to it, and I've watched the guy on the video, but, not yet. I do like the ST, it's a sweet ride but lacks the kick-ass of the Wing. Probably better for me, not having that "right now" power.
It does take a little practice to get used to. I have witnessed altitude challenged riders lift the ST's without much effort. The descriptions here work.....just takes a little practice. I practiced a bit in the front yard and a sheet of half inch plywood so I wouldn't have to worry over scratching the bike up.

Always wondered why, given the sheer number of old guys with heavy bikes that no one has developed a hydraulic strut (similar to a small monoshock) to help with this task.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Roll the rear wheel up onto a 1/2" piece of board... it will be much easier to get onto the centerstand.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
The best explanation I was told is that you just hold the spring loaded handle firm and then pretend you're trying to push your foot through the floor! If 170lb guys can do it, it should be easier the bigger you are. :)
Good video Dave!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The real trick to getting the ST1300 on it's centerstand is how much weight do you have on/in it. Like me, I have the topcase, and there is usually some weight there, and then the saddlebags, more weight.

The heavier it is, the more difficult it will be.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Speaking of weight, I sometimes use it to my advantage. Sometimes for the fun of it I will roll the bike backwards just enough to say that it is moving. While it is in motion I stomp on the centre-stand while pulling up on the handle. Even though it only rolled back a few inches, the momentum of the bike makes it pop right up on to the centre-stand if you get the timing right. Works great on a backwards down-hill slope.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The heavier it is, the more difficult it will be.
Yup, it is all about the physics and geometry of the situation.

I found the video several posts back really helped me out with this task:
  1. hold the handlebar with your left hand and fold out the side handle and lock your right arm straight;
  2. tip the bike up off the sidestand so that it is vertical and both centrestand feet are firmly on the ground;
  3. get your right foot on the centrestand tang and your left foot off the floor (so that ALL of your weight is on the tang)
  4. pretend you are trying to push it through the floor while keeping your arm locked straight on the handle and...
  5. ...up she pops.
There is no doubt that a loaded bike is a bit tougher and some boards under the tires makes it easier, but it can be done without actually trying lift the bike. Just use the geometry of the bike's stand and side handle and your strongest muscles which are in your legs (for most people (although some recent folks I've seen on TV seem to have even stronger muscles in their mouths and between their ears...;)).

Oh, and it also helps to give a good he-man grunt while you are doing all of this.
1610470845974.png
One of my vintage riding buddies has a Norton 850 Commando which has to weigh at least 250 lbs less than my ST1300, and it is MUCH harder to get onto the centrestand than the ST - so it really is all about physics and geometry.

Pete

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
... get your right foot on the centrestand tang and your left foot off the floor (so that ALL of your weight is on the tang)
... pretend you are trying to push it through the floor while keeping your arm locked straight on the handle and...
I would like to add to this that I would suggest doing this with the heel of your foot. I remember a thread on here a while back where someone used the arch or the ball of their foot and caused themself a serious injury to their foot. It is a heavy bike. Using your heel, especially while wearing riding boots, is less risky and also more easily allows one to exert a completely downward force.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Speaking of weight, I sometimes use it to my advantage. Sometimes for the fun of it I will roll the bike backwards just enough to say that it is moving. While it is in motion I stomp on the centre-stand while pulling up on the handle. Even though it only rolled back a few inches, the momentum of the bike makes it pop right up on to the centre-stand if you get the timing right. Works great on a backwards down-hill slope.

But then getting it off the Centerstand is a real big pain!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I used a piece of 3/4" plywood about 4 inches square. Roll the back tire onto the plywood, then use the handle or rear hand grip and the left side handle bar to pull the bike onto the stand. I am 5'7'' and 138 pounds and this made all the difference in the world getting the ST onto the stand.

Getting it off requires a bit of rocking to get momentum working for you.

Now I just have a cruiser so no centre stand to worry about.

But then getting it off the Centerstand is a real big pain!
I don't use the center stand grip to bring the bike off the center stand. For me, it's too low and doesn't provide proper leverage. I use the grab rail to gently bring the bike down ... or I sit on the bike, give it a budge forward and ride off.

(It's rare I use the center stand... use it mostly when replacing the rear tire)

Bike
CTX 1300
I have struggled at times to get my ctx on the cs, but so far have always been able. I’m 5’6” and 140 pounds.
Reading this thread has given me an idea though. I think it would be possible to fabricate a removable extension for the foot lever that would not require any modification of the cs itself. I’ll see what I can come up with tomorrow, I have the shop to do this.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You guys are making this way too complicated. As has been said a couple of times, just roll the rear wheel on a 1/2”-3/4” thick piece of wood. Chamfer the edge to make it easier to roll onto. Your bike will pop right up on the centerstand with ease.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
You guys are making this way too complicated. As has been said a couple of times, just roll the rear wheel on a 1/2”-3/4” thick piece of wood. Chamfer the edge to make it easier to roll onto. Your bike will pop right up on the centerstand with ease.
yup, this works well....unless you’re not at home with your special piece of wood.

yup, this works well....unless you’re not at home with your special piece of wood.
Considering the size of the tire's contact patch, a "portable" wood piece would be insignificant [size wise].

Top Bottom