Putting ST1300 on center stand

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
While we're on the subject... anyone ever get the bike on the center stand with a flat tire?

I carry a tire repair kit, but it would be pretty hard to locate the puncture in the rear tire and plug it without the bike on the center stand, but getting it on the center stand seems impossible.

All I can imagine is putting air in the tire, hoping the air goes in faster than it comes out and then putting the bike on the center stand. And this needs to be done after finding a spot where the side stand works to keep the bike upright without leaning too far to the right.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can She pick up the Fallen goldwing???

Eazy peazy.
i bet she couldn't do that with an ST (assuming she doesn't do 300lb dead lifts).

Roll the rear wheel up onto a 1/2" piece of board... it will be much easier to get onto the centerstand.
This —> to make the job so much easier. And when I park it for the night it has only 3 bars on the fuel gauge and 42/42lbs in the tires. Good quads are your friend.

While it can be done you wouldn't catch me trying to put my ST on the center stand zori. Props to those who do but I'll pass. And lastly my Wing buddy says it's easier to put his 2005 Wing on the center stand than my ST without a top box.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
yup, this works well....unless you’re not at home with your special piece of wood.
Well, if it's really a problem for you, keep your special piece of wood in your pannier.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You guys are making this way too complicated. As has been said a couple of times, just roll the rear wheel on a 1/2”-3/4” thick piece of wood. Chamfer the edge to make it easier to roll onto. Your bike will pop right up on the centerstand with ease.
Having to carry around a piece of wood adds complication. As many have learned, just do it without pieces of wood, levers, slopes or what-have-you.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
While we're on the subject... anyone ever get the bike on the center stand with a flat tire?

I carry a tire repair kit, but it would be pretty hard to locate the puncture in the rear tire and plug it without the bike on the center stand, but getting it on the center stand seems impossible.

All I can imagine is putting air in the tire, hoping the air goes in faster than it comes out and then putting the bike on the center stand. And this needs to be done after finding a spot where the side stand works to keep the bike upright without leaning too far to the right.
Yes, as a matter of fact!

BUT! I had to remove the topcase and both saddlebags, while on the bike. I couldn't even put it on the side stand, because of where I was.

And BTW, the hole was pretty big, I had to use two plugs, (after I got it home on a flatbed tow truck), to plug it with.

2019-03-07-FreewayFlat-s.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
<SNIP>
Well, except for "this" situation (as I recently discovered), I have never had an issue getting it on the centerstand.
Admittedly, I struggled with this one. Having a rear flat tire, that is.
However, but for that, it's difficult for me to grasp how this is an issue for so many (apparently). Now, don't get me wrong - this is NO judgement, and NO condemnation to anyone.
I can relate to it this way, however -- some of the electrical farkling / LEDs, and particularly getting into the motor / under the covers is quite simple for some here, while I attempt some of it with a service manual, @Igofar and others' help, but I still start with fear and trepidation. And hopefulness.
It's all relative, eh?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

BUT! I had to remove the topcase and both saddlebags, while on the bike. I couldn't even put it on the side stand, because of where I was.

And BTW, the hole was pretty big, I had to use two plugs, (after I got it home on a flatbed tow truck), to plug it with.

I had to do that once in a near identical situation and at dusk in fading light. I had only the light from my cell phone to work with to plug the tire and ever since I've carried a powerful though small flashlight in my kit.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur

Did you find it difficult to remove the topbox in that situation?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Did you find it difficult to remove the topbox in that situation?
The OEM Honda top box mount remains on the bike, you just turn the key, lift the handle, and the box lifts off the base.
Its as easy as removing the saddlebags. ;)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The OEM Honda top box mount remains on the bike, you just turn the key, lift the handle, and the box lifts off the base.
Its as easy as removing the saddlebags. ;)
NOT as easy when you are still on the bike! I couldn't use the side stand, I had to turn around and reach for the lock, then remove the topcase without falling over with the bike. :eek:

Same with the saddlebags.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
NOT as easy when you are still on the bike! I couldn't use the side stand, I had to turn around and reach for the lock, then remove the topcase without falling over with the bike. :eek:

Same with the saddlebags.
Yes. I was trying to picture myself doing just that without dropping the bike. I am not a contorsionist! You did well to manage it.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
OK, 4 pages on center stand (I keep a small 1/2" pad for either tire). But somewhere in here we got a video of a woman picking up a fallen Goldwing, which is a different question. I, too, picked up my Goldwing more than once (and I'm 150 lbs). But recently dropped the ST1300 in my garage (don't ask), and could not pick it up without help from neighbor (who claimed his FJR is 250 lbs lighter...hmmm). PART of that was slickness of floor, even after changing to snealers, but I could never get the right angle to push with my legs. Do we have another 4 pages?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I can't do the butt-to-the-seat method because I can't bend my knees enough to get that low.

However, I just bought a MotoBikeJack from another forum member, so I'm covered for now.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 GL1800
It does take a little practice to get used to. I have witnessed altitude challenged riders lift the ST's without much effort. The descriptions here work.....just takes a little practice. I practiced a bit in the front yard and a sheet of half inch plywood so I wouldn't have to worry over scratching the bike up.

Always wondered why, given the sheer number of old guys with heavy bikes that no one has developed a hydraulic strut (similar to a small monoshock) to help with this task.
The plywood trick showed me how easy it should be, so I lay myself down on the ground with a can of WD-40 white grease & sprayed the moving parts of the side stand and center stand & everything works better now :) Able to get the ST up while in the driveway without much trouble, still iffy in a parking lot. I think shortening the legs by 1/2 inch would work just fine. I haven't yet had to master the art of picking up the bike . . . I hope it's as easy as a Wing. Practice, practice, practice, until I get the "knack".

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I wonder if there is a real, minor difference in the 1300s. I rather doubt it, but I know we all have different bodies, strength, height, etc.
By no means am I bragging, but I routinely put mine on the c-stand with only moccasin-style houseshoes / slippers on my feet. Obviously no support or reinforcement in slippers.
Yes, it is a preponderous and heavy bike, but it's well-balanced and "can" come up easily. I'm not a real strong kind of guy, in terms of muscle.
Obviously it's not as easy for everyone.

Bike
2009 GL1800
OK, 4 pages on center stand (I keep a small 1/2" pad for either tire). But somewhere in here we got a video of a woman picking up a fallen Goldwing, which is a different question. I, too, picked up my Goldwing more than once (and I'm 150 lbs). But recently dropped the ST1300 in my garage (don't ask), and could not pick it up without help from neighbor (who claimed his FJR is 250 lbs lighter...hmmm). PART of that was slickness of floor, even after changing to snealers, but I could never get the right angle to push with my legs. Do we have another 4 pages?
I had an FJR several years ago, kick ass machine but my wife wanted a more comfortable tourer so I traded in towards my first Goldwing. The Fjr was difficult to get on the centerstand, but I finally mastered it. Never did master picking it up! The Goldwing, as you know, is easy on both counts, likely due to all the weight being down low, plus the crash bars. I don't buy the FJR being 250 pounds lighter than the ST. For evidence, check this link: https://motorcyleinsight.wordpress.com/2020/08/09/honda-st1300-vs-yamaha-fjr1300/

Bike
2009 GL1800
I can't do the butt-to-the-seat method because I can't end my knees enough to get that low.

However, I just bought a MotoBikeJack from another forum member, so I'm covered for now.
I can get down pretty well, but if the bike can't be at least somewhat up already, or able to be rocked, not butt on seat like a GW. I'm going to check on crash guards since I like low speed maneuvering, which is when I mostly dropped my Wings, and the guards made it pretty easy. Otherwise I'll have to get a couple of those jacks, one in each pannier :)

Top Bottom