Any Lithium Ion Battery Fans?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I probably would not have gone for a Lithium battery except that my Super Tenere was barely starting with the OEM TTZ12S.
Seems large displacement twins need more oomph to start than similar displacement 4 cylinder engines.

Bike
2012 PCX150
One of the local battery suppliers told me he no longer stocks Lithium motorcycle batteries, apparently the charging system does not generate a high enough voltage to charge them properly. Not sure how true this is.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A battery supplier around here no longer sells lithium motorcycle batteries either. He said that he had way to many returns and warranty claims to make it worth his trouble. He didn't have an explanation and I don't think that cared what the reason was. From his perspective, they were just a problematic product.

Bike
2012 PCX150
A battery supplier around here no longer sells lithium motorcycle batteries either. He said that he had way to many returns and warranty claims to make it worth his trouble. He didn't have an explanation and I don't think that cared what the reason was. From his perspective, they were just a problematic product.
Maintenance-free gel (or similar) batteries seem to be quite good. I've got one in my PCX150, lying on its side, it has been in there since December 2016 and never given a problem, even after the scooter stood for 5 weeks during lockdown it cranked perfectly.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Mine has six seasons of service under the belt now, hope it continues for another year.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Maintenance-free gel (or similar) batteries seem to be quite good. I've got one in my PCX150, lying on its side, it has been in there since December 2016 and never given a problem, even after the scooter stood for 5 weeks during lockdown it cranked perfectly.
Yes they are. Maintenance-free, gel, FLA and AGM batteries are not the same animal as Lithium. He still sells all of the various variants of lead acid batteries, he just won't sell the lithium anymore. If I ever go back that way, and if I don't forget, out of curiosity I will ask him why he made that decision. I am not sure that he will have a specific reason to give me however. It seemed clear the time that I did speak to him that lithium batteries were causing him grief and he wanted to end the grief and didn't really care about what was wrong with the batteries. It might have nothing to do with the batteries. Maybe his supplier was abusing them for all we know. All the same result from his perspective.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'll ask this again... I only see disadvantages for the LI battery. What's the advantage for use in an ST, what am I missing?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have been using them for at least 4-5 years now I have shorai and I don't have any issues with them at all. The only thing you need to remember is when its cold 40 deg or less turn on the ignition for 10-15 seconds top warm up the battery before you crank it. Other than that no issues on two ST's.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The coldest temperature I had to start my bike at was about 38F after sitting in a motel parking lot all night. I was expecting a little fuss getting her started but the Scorpion Stinger LiFePO4 battery cranked it right over. If it was cranking slower I could not tell. So either this particular Li battery works pretty well at such temps or perhaps where the battery is located didn't get as cold as the ambient temperature.

Bike
2005 st1300
I have a Shorai Lithium. I am impressed with how much quicker it spins the motor over. Whether or not I'm a fan remains to be seen. Have only had it a short time

Bike
'07 ST1300
I purchased this from amazon in 2016:
Shorai LFX Lithium Battery 19AH, 12V, EQ, ldquo,A&rdquo, 4 LFX19A4-BS12
I love the battery. It cranks faster than my old lead acid battery and doesn't ever seem to "lose" it's charge even when my ST sits for a few months. I have an 07 ST1300A . The battery is quite light and is smaller than the lead acid. It comes with foam inserts to fill the battery compartment. I would definitely recommend it. Mine is going on 4 years now with no issues.
Lead acid? You never used a Yuasa OEM ytz14s AGM type battery?

Bike
'07 ST1300
I have Shorai in both my ST1100 and FJ-09. No issue to report other than the amazement when I received the first one. I thought the box was empty... These are so light!

These don't like the cold. In lower temps, turn the key on letting the lights run a bit before trying to start so the battery will warm up.
What! Wouldn’t dare do that with my Yuasa battery! my headlights would run it down to uselessness in seconds !

Bike
'07 ST1300
Maintenance free? Is that a sealed gel, or can you add electrolyte?

Bike
'07 ST1300
I have been using them for at least 4-5 years now I have shorai and I don't have any issues with them at all. The only thing you need to remember is when its cold 40 deg or less turn on the ignition for 10-15 seconds top warm up the battery before you crank it. Other than that no issues on two ST's.
Are you serious? That would kill my Yuasa for sure!

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I'm on my 2nd LiFePO4 battery in the last 10 years, in the VFR. The 1st lasted 5 before it wouldn't hold a constant charge. ( I still use it as a test mule) And the 2nd is still kicking, no signs of giving up yet.
For winter I just bring it in the house and set of my desk, no charging. It stays at 13.2v until needed at spring.
If it ever gives up, I'll probably go Shorai next time.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Lead acid? You never used a Yuasa OEM ytz14s AGM type battery?
An AGM battery is a lead-acid battery. Does GregO1969 mean an FLA (flooded lead-acid) battery? My 2010 came with the factory AGM. I can get 10min out of it before it won't start the bike. I've done that once. 10-15s wouldn't be a problem but with a lead-acid battery there's no need to.

But when it goes I might try an Li of some flavor. I've used an Li jump starter twice on my car and the starter spins noticeably faster than from the fully charged lead-acid battery. I like the sound of that in the morning. It sounds like – confidence.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Lithium batteries are great as long as you remember that they have 1/3 the capacity of a similar AGM battery. I learned the hard way that they will become discharged 3x quicker from parasitic drainage than a lead acid battery. A ST1300 has lots of parasitic drainage due to its ECU and clock. Also, they do not like the cold, and you can ruin one if it becomes totally discharged. If you buy one , keep it on a lithium specific charger when not in use. I had a MMG lithium on my ST1300 for over five years with no other issues.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Lithium batteries are great as long as you remember that they have 1/3 the capacity of a similar AGM battery. I learned the hard way that they will become discharged 3x quicker from parasitic drainage than a lead acid battery. A ST1300 has lots of parasitic drainage due to its ECU and clock. Also, they do not like the cold, and you can ruin one if it becomes totally discharged. If you buy one , keep it on a lithium specific charger when not in use. I had a MMG lithium on my ST1300 for over five years with no other issues.
Agree about the parasitic losses. If you don't plan to ride the bike for 4 weeks or longer it's better to disconnect. Agreeing to disagree on the charging. If they are not connected to anything, and warm, my experience is that they will sit months without losing charge.
I've never had to charge mine while off the bike......Another 2cents, I don't think a continuous charge is good for these. On my older 10 yo battery, when I have put a charge on it, it's fully charged in about 3 minutes.....

---- I'm undecided about using one in a heavyweight tourer bike with a boatload of electronics.......

Last edited:

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Are you serious? That would kill my Yuasa for sure!
If that is the case your battery is only useful as s doorstop.

Two headlights at 55W plus side and tail 130W. Being VERY generous 150W with dash, ECU.

At 12 Volts 150W is 12.5 Amps.

A good ST13 battery should easily last 30 minutes at an 12.5A load.

Top Bottom